Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better to do an app spree or to slowly add cards

tag
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

Better to do an app spree or to slowly add cards

I've been in the garden for a while and I'm not planning on leaving in the near future.

I've dabbled with the idea of a Walmart card but don't see me using it (no WM gas around here) so I don't see the point in having it for the report.

Everyone seems to go out on spree and apply for a bunch of cards at one time which to me seems backwards.

Once I decide to pull the trigger on some cards; would it be better to app all at the same time or to do 1 at a time stretching them out say once every couple months.

my thought process is adding 2 or 3 cards all at one shot would drop my AAoA drastically, but if I add 1 then add another one 6 months later wouldn't that lessen the blow? Pluse your not taking all those hard pulls at the same time.

Right now my AAoA is around 2 years and I won't be apping for anything for at least a full 9 months from now. Just not sure which would be the better scenario.

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Re: Better to do an app spree or to slowly add cards

As long as you are applying for a reasonable amount of cards (and cards you actually need), I'd say do them all at once so all the HPs fall off your report at the same time.

Message 2 of 10
CS800
Super Contributor

My logic for app sprees:

1. All the inqs age/fall off at the same time

2. All the cards report at the same time so initially no drop in AAoA while apping.

On the flip side, some creditors might get nervous because of all the new inqs and CLD or FR might and I say might happen.

Message 3 of 10
irving_magik
Regular Contributor

This is funny, I literally was about to post a very similar questions.........

I just got approved this morning for a BCP.... and was wondering if I should pull a couple more triggers......

OP, I do see the benefits and logic to doing an APP spree, but at the same time, you have to concider your very own situation. Here is my take on why I will personally not do an app spree and spread some apps around....... If anybody thinks my strategy is flawed, please, please let me know.....

I just got a 5k limit on this BCP... the other cards that are on my wish list are the Chase Sapphire or Freedom and US Bank Cash+... I really want a Visa Siggy.

I don't currently have any 5K limits, so for me, it may be best to wait 2-3 months to allow my BPC to report and then pull the trigger on the cards I really really want.

My point, is create a wishlist and the great members here will help you plan out your best strategy on applications......

Fico Scores: TU 700 (10/12/2016) EQ 729 (10/01/2016) EX 713 (10/01/16)

AMEX BCP $25,000 (opened 09/2012) - Citi TYP $12,000 (opened 12/2012) Chase Sapphire Preffered $6000 (opened 09/2012)
Message 4 of 10
XxRaVeNxX
Regular Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

My logic for app sprees:

2. All the cards report at the same time so initially no drop in AAoA while apping.

On the flip side, some creditors might get nervous because of all the new inqs and CLD or FR might and I say might happen.

+1...but on that note...some people say, creditors may not see the inquiries if the app spree is done close together...like the same day...

Chase Southwest $5000 - November 2012 Wal Mart $1000 - November 2012 NFCU Visa $5,000 - Sept 2012 NFCU NavCheck $3,000 - October 2012 Amazon $900 - Aug 2012 Kay's Jewlery $2700 - Aug 2012 Buckle $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Roaman's $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Capital One Secured $225 - April 2012 Capital One Platinum $2500 - July 2012
Message 5 of 10
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@XxRaVeNxX wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

My logic for app sprees:

+1...but on that note...some people say, creditors may not see the inquiries if the app spree is done close together...like the same day...

The inquiry is recorded in real time, so if another lender pulls a report from a bureau, and you had just apped and had another lender pull from the same one, then they should see the inq.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 6 of 10
irving_magik
Regular Contributor

Let us know what you decide to do...

Fico Scores: TU 700 (10/12/2016) EQ 729 (10/01/2016) EX 713 (10/01/16)

AMEX BCP $25,000 (opened 09/2012) - Citi TYP $12,000 (opened 12/2012) Chase Sapphire Preffered $6000 (opened 09/2012)
Message 7 of 10
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

they see the inq, but if youre approved for that card they wont see that brand new card on your report which brings down your AAoA. There are plenty of topics that discuss this if you use the search bar.

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 8 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

If you assume AAoA just for say the 3 cards alone (somewhat reasonable since you can average seperately mathematically before aggregating appropriately):

App spree at one year mark:

1 year on 3 tradelines = 1 year age / 1 year AAoA

Spreading it out 6 months at a time at one year mark:

1 year on one, six months on another,  0 age on a third = 6 months AAoA.

Also from a pure FICO perspective in addition to the AAoA shift, you're going to have 2 inquiries still counting against you (for a while still) in the second scenario instead of they're being gone for scoring purposes in the first.

Final point  in the spree's favor: payment history is the king of FICO, even though it's undersung on this forum taking second fiddle to the revolving utilization we talk so much about.  Positive unblemished history is the road to gold-platedness for all of us, and for both underwriting and FICO, we look a lot better with one year on a tradeline if we do need to apply for anything else, than a bunch of sporadic ones spread out throughout the year in this case.

End of the day, since FICO scoring is utterly time dependent, it's mathematically better for one's score between six months and two years definitely, and likely up to around four years total... that the app spree method winds up being better for one's FICO health.  4 years down the road it's mostly irrelevant with the way AAoA appears to be calculated, and there'd be diminishing returns eventually on payment history too.

        
Message 9 of 10
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

If you assume AAoA just for say the 3 cards alone (somewhat reasonable since you can average seperately mathematically before aggregating appropriately):

App spree at one year mark:

1 year on 3 tradelines = 1 year age / 1 year AAoA

Spreading it out 6 months at a time at one year mark:

1 year on one, six months on another,  0 age on a third = 6 months AAoA.

Also from a pure FICO perspective in addition to the AAoA shift, you're going to have 2 inquiries still counting against you (for a while still) in the second scenario instead of they're being gone for scoring purposes in the first.

Final point  in the spree's favor: payment history is the king of FICO, even though it's undersung on this forum taking second fiddle to the revolving utilization we talk so much about.  Positive unblemished history is the road to gold-platedness for all of us, and for both underwriting and FICO, we look a lot better with one year on a tradeline if we do need to apply for anything else, than a bunch of sporadic ones spread out throughout the year in this case.

End of the day, since FICO scoring is utterly time dependent, it's mathematically better for one's score between six months and two years definitely, and likely up to around four years total... that the app spree method winds up being better for one's FICO health.  4 years down the road it's mostly irrelevant with the way AAoA appears to be calculated, and there'd be diminishing returns eventually on payment history too.

Thanks this was helpful! I guess when I'm ready for some better cards, I'll do them at the same time.

Something I didn't think about that someone mentioned - some pull different reports. So perhaps I should do my homework on which cards usually pull which reports and try to keep to ones that don't choose the same one.

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.