Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of Apple Card Fraud.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Beware of Apple Card Fraud.

1st post in a long time, however I wanted to let everyone know about a recent phone call that occured with my Apple Card.
I received a call from some at Goldman Sachs regarding a few fraudulent transactions that were made on my Apple credit card account. The person on the phone knew my name, the town I lived in and most importantly, the last 4 digits of my card.  They claimed that someone in New York had made a charge of $2500 with physical card at Target. I live in Florida. They also claimed that another charge for $1500 was made in Atlanta, GA at a Sam's Club. 
      The caller proceeded to ask me personal questions, but because I was a previous fraud victim, I hung up the phone with him and called Goldman Sachs phone number through my Apple wallet. 
      The customer service representative that I spoke to did not seem to understand the gravity of the situation. They explained to me that I had a $0 balance and there were no pending charges of any amount listed on my account. I understand that robocalls happen everyday, however, when someone has so much of my personal information with them, I believe that they had inside information. My reasoning for this is because I do not use the physical card. I always use Apple pay. 
I created this post to warn others to be on the lookout for this new scam. 
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Beware of Apple Card Fruad.

Thanks for the warning
Message 2 of 25
LittleSal
Frequent Contributor

Re: Beware of Apple Card Fraud.

Good info! Thanks
Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing. Sorry that happened to you.
Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's pretty crazy. Thanks for the heads up

Message 5 of 25
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
  1st post in a long time, however I wanted to let everyone know about a recent phone call that occured with my Apple Card.
I received a call from some at Goldman Sachs regarding a few fraudulent transactions that were made on my Apple credit card account. The person on the phone knew my name, the town I lived in and most importantly, the last 4 digits of my card.  They claimed that someone in New York had made a charge of $2500 with physical card at Target. I live in Florida. They also claimed that another charge for $1500 was made in Atlanta, GA at a Sam's Club. 
      The caller proceeded to ask me personal questions, but because I was a previous fraud victim, I hung up the phone with him and called Goldman Sachs phone number through my Apple wallet. 
      The customer service representative that I spoke to did not seem to understand the gravity of the situation. They explained to me that I had a $0 balance and there were no pending charges of any amount listed on my account. I understand that robocalls happen everyday, however, when someone has so much of my personal information with them, I believe that they had inside information. My reasoning for this is because I do not use the physical card. I always use Apple pay. 
I created this post to warn others to be on the lookout for this new scam. 

Thanks for sharing this VIP info and welcome to myFICO.

Kudos to you for hanging up on the caller and not providing any additional info that would have given him access to your credit. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 25
wingennis
Valued Contributor

Thank you very much for the warning!

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is not Apple Card experience, but on other cards where there have been fraudulent charges it has ALWAYS involved the issuer phoning me to check on them, but the charges themselves never showed on the account as pending charges or impacted my available credit. I don't think an ordinary CSR would have been able to see them.

Since I never answer my phone, and only called the CC fraud department in response, I don't actually know what they say when they reach the customer on the live attempt. Obviously when I've called the Fraud department I was the one who had to prove who I was, not the other way around.

Message 8 of 25
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Interesting. This is good info for anyone with the Card. I've gotten several really good scam emails from "Apple" lately.

Sorry for the inconvenience for you, though! I hope everything turned out alright?

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 9 of 25
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Whoa that’s crazy. Thanks for sharing. I’m guessing it’s still possible for someone to get that information elsewhere and not just through Apple though. When I got a call from Wells Fargo about fraudulent charges, they didn’t ask me any personal information. They just asked if I had made $900 in charges at a Walmart 50 miles from where I live. I said no and that was that. They shut down my card and sent a new one.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.