cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Changes (bad) Coming to US Bank Cash+?

tag
shinedown87
Regular Contributor

Big Changes (bad) Coming to US Bank Cash+?

I found the following information posted by "Kwongaroo" HERE on slickdeals.net:

"I love this card, but lots of changes are coming. Top categories are going away (bill pay, airlines, home improvement), but they are adding bookstores, sporting goods and cell phone. The whopper though...only one $25 bonus per $100 redemption per year. There will also be a $2000 spend cap on the 5% category. I assume that amount is quarterly but I'm trying to find out."

It was confirmed by another poster ("ISFBeast") who claims to work for US Bank.  

Take it with a grain of salt.  I have no idea how accurate this is, but thought I would pass on the information.  

Message 1 of 71
70 REPLIES 70
blondy250
Established Contributor

Re: Big Changes (bad) Coming to US Bank Cash+?

Nonsense.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 2 of 71
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

This is always gonna happen with cards with the best rewards. Some people just abuse the rewards until banks cap them or change/lower the rewards
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 3 of 71
Open123
Super Contributor

Wouldn't be surprising, since US Bank won't be able to continue offering unlimited rewards on bill pay allowing people to pilfer for 5% on huge insurance payments.  Just about all 2% and up cash cards are capped and otherwise restricted for this reason.

Like every other 5% cashback card, I think US Bank will have to place some restrictions.  This reminds of Comcast and the period of "unlimited" bandwidth.  This became an issue when 1% of the users would abuse this for many times more bandwidth than the normal users, which lead to the now 250 GB bandwidth cap.

I think US Bank will have to make some changes to their program.  It won't survive the arbitrage opportunities their program offers in its current manifestation.

Message 4 of 71
android01
Valued Contributor

I've read on other forums of individuals using their personal Cash + card to pay the utility and phone bills for their businesses to the tune of thousands of dollars each month to get the rewards.  I wouldn't be surprised if USBank modifies their rewards program.  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 5 of 71
nishant1
New Contributor

Do not worry about what may happen. Keep doing what you are doing with so much credit cards options available.

If something it too good, it may not last forever.

There is always a possibility that 1% cash back which we take for granted from any card may also be reduced by all the companies as economy improves.

Credit card companies give rewards to retain market share and make money. If that does not happen, the reward can go away

Message 6 of 71
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

there  always change on their programs but overall us bank sucks when it comes to stability towards programs and rewards

COMMERCE BANK PLATINIUM VISA 20K*PAYPAL MC $9.5K*CITI FORWARD $8.5K*PENFED $6,5K*
*LOWES $6K *CMN BANK $5.2K-*PNC $5K*SCLUB DISC. $5K*
WMART DISC.4K*CMN BANK 3.75K*BANK OF AMERICA $3K* MACYS $2.2K*
JCP $1.8*TARGET $0.7K* UTL1%- AAOA 5.5- TOTAL 12 yrs History/
Transunion 718 Equifax 733- Experian 736
Message 7 of 71
Open123
Super Contributor

@nishant1 wrote:

There is always a possibility that 1% cash back which we take for granted from any card may also be reduced by all the companies as economy improves.

Credit card companies give rewards to retain market share and make money. If that does not happen, the reward can go away

Right, which is why all things being equal, the best "reward" is the sign up bonus.  It is certain, clearly defined, and received in the "here and the now."  I've always believed that a stipend received now is much more valuable than later or over time.

The ongoing rewards is abstract (since it can always change), but the "here and the now" is certain and the most important.

Message 8 of 71
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

Too bad.

Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 71
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

This sucks. 

Since July, I have racked up over $1200 in cash back. Too good to be true I guess....

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 10 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.