cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Changes (bad) Coming to US Bank Cash+?

tag
andre181
Established Contributor

Re: Big Changes (bad) Coming to US Bank Cash+?

I really hope this isn't true, but I'm sure it is. US Bank couldn't afford to keep doing what its been doing with this card.

Travel and home improvment aren't that big of a deal, I can get 5% for those on other cards, but I will really miss the bill pay category. Hopefully its true there will be a "cell phone" category as my phone bill is one of my higher bills. Also, I wonder if the bookstores category will include Amazon. It should based on MCC code.

I wish they would just leave the categories alone and put a cap of $1500 or $2000 quarterly. That would solve the problem but still keep people happy. Or I would even be happy if we only got one choice of 5% category instead of two, and two 2% categories instead of one.

But with that said, I just paid $1100 worth of bills just to earn my last little bit.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 21 of 71
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

To me it is likely true. I mean if unlimited 5% cashback is sustainable, I'm sure Chase, Discover, and Citi would've jump on it to attract more customer.

I'm really interested to see if bookstore will be added to Cash+.

Message 22 of 71
pkosheta
Contributor

Bill pay was always going to be stiffled.  How could it not be?   but its still a 5% card in some form, with the choices, can still serve as a card to fill in those 5% holes.  disappointed yes.  suprised no.  Caps would have been acceptable, everyone else uses them. but losing bill pay hurts.  that was a major draw for the card.  i guess ill have to wait for the mailer or march to see what the real damage is.  with the caps and loss of bill pay the 1/time per year for the 25 bonus doesnt sting as much as i expect redemptions will go WAY down.  i dont use it for the 2% as i have pendfed plat, so it was pretty much a card i used for the 5% cats, though i had been putting a few charges on it valuing it @ 1.25% for everyday charges.  i had considered adding a us bank checking account for the extra .25 points/dollar and make this my card for all 'other' charges.  i may still do so, as i dont plan to app for fid amex or priceline visa soon in order to help my aaoa and keep my total available credit down (i have too much revolving credit and no credit diversity as all my accounts are credit cards now that student loans are paid off.)

Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi DoubleCash (PC'd in *14) 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Message 23 of 71
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@pkosheta wrote:

@Anonymous pay was always going to be stiffled.  How could it not be?   but its still a 5% card in some form, with the choices, can still serve as a card to fill in those 5% holes.  disappointed yes.  suprised no.  Caps would have been acceptable, everyone else uses them. but losing bill pay hurts.  that was a major draw for the card.  i guess ill have to wait for the mailer or march to see what the real damage is.  with the caps and loss of bill pay the 1/time per year for the 25 bonus doesnt sting as much as i expect redemptions will go WAY down.  i dont use it for the 2% as i have pendfed plat, so it was pretty much a card i used for the 5% cats, though i had been putting a few charges on it valuing it @ 1.25% for everyday charges.  i had considered adding a us bank checking account for the extra .25 points/dollar and make this my card for all 'other' charges.  i may still do so, as i dont plan to app for fid amex or priceline visa soon in order to help my aaoa and keep my total available credit down (i have too much revolving credit and no credit diversity as all my accounts are credit cards now that student loans are paid off.)

With (if true) caps, not sure the bank account helps.  I would anyway apply (who cares about AAoA!)  for Fidelity Amex/Priceline Visa, as these will fill the holes in all the other cards and probably pay back much more than the 0.25% on Cash Plus.

With all the mentioned downgrades, this card can still distinguish itself as "special" by continuing to allow the user to select the 5% categories.  To me that is a big plus, I don't like cards that rotate categories (I may not want those categories, or need them at the time they are offered).  However, I expect with this model people are more likely to meet the cap than on a general rotator, which might lead to lower caps than the standard $1500 per quarter.

Still speculation, let's see if the rumoured letters arrive next week.  (Which seems way too early for changes slated for May)

Message 24 of 71
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Yeah. I read this thread earlier and panicked. I went to my gas and electric utilities and charged $2800 to make sure I got them in. Smiley Very Happy

But I kinda figured that the current rewards would work til the end of the 1st quarter. Makes sense. I'll be charging the max to my two main utilities over the next two months and simply work off the credit. I hope I can get my business insurance policy's renewal in time to charge it for the year. I think I renew in Feburary or March. I may hit $2300 cash back by the end of the 1st quarter if I get enough in. hehehe

I got the card in mid late July. Smiley Very Happy

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 25 of 71
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately, the lesson for me learned from this (even if the rumor isn't quite true, something will happen soon) and the BCP capping, and I'm sure many other examples is:

a) Too good things will go away

b) so it makes sense to use them (or abuse them) to the max while you still can.  Even if you don't, others will, and a) will apply!

The tragedy of the commons in action.

Message 26 of 71
bs6054
Valued Contributor

So, if you were planning a new credit card and wanted to get a lot of interest, but keep it sustainable, what would you do?

I'm thinking of something boring like spend $80K and get $640 (with no other rewards).  So this is "8% ON EVERYTHING!!!!", but only once you reach a high threshold, and nothing if you don't.   And the issuer can adjust threshold and percent if necessary.   But would you apply, and direct all your spending?

Message 27 of 71
Open123
Super Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

So, if you were planning a new credit card and wanted to get a lot of interest, but keep it sustainable, what would you do?

I'm thinking of something boring like spend $80K and get $640 (with no other rewards).  So this is "8% ON EVERYTHING!!!!", but only once you reach a high threshold, and nothing if you don't.   And the issuer can adjust threshold and percent if necessary.   But would you apply, and direct all your spending?

The most difficult challenge is to keep the fringe users from abusing the program.  I'm not sure if there's a cost effective way of keeping the small percentage of users from abusing whatever rewards structure in place.

The only really effective way is to either place in earning caps, draconian audits (Amex), or arbitrary closures (Chase).

In your example, how do you keep the one intent on abusing your rewards by meeting the spending requirement with amzn payments, gift cards, and all the other assorted ways of creating fake spending?

Message 28 of 71
Alcibiades
Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

If you are going to have rewards that are that good, the card needs to have a rather high annual fee (this card probably should have cost $200 or more).  Also, limit the "bill pay" category to cell phones, cable tv, etc (exclude insurance, electric, gas, etc).

Message 29 of 71
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

The most difficult challenge is to keep the fringe users from abusing the program.  I'm not sure if there's a cost effective way of keeping the small percentage of users from abusing whatever rewards structure in place.

The only really effective way is to either place in earning caps, draconian audits (Amex), or arbitrary closures (Chase).

In your example, how do you keep the one intent on abusing your rewards by meeting the spending requirement with amzn payments, gift cards, and all the other assorted ways of creating fake spending?

Good point.  I will limit "qualified" spending to $6k a month.  Hardly my fault that 12*$6K is a little less than the $80K threshold.

Message 30 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.