Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill Pay w/Credit Card Do You or Don't You

tag
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

Bill Pay w/Credit Card Do You or Don't You

How many of you do automatic bill pay with a credit card?

I currently started paying my cellphone bill through my Chase Sapphire card because I'm trying to accumulate as many points as possible without doing any added spending. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to pay some of my other bills through my CC as well, such as my car insurance & maybe my car note.

I guess I want to know,

If you do pay your bills through your credit card, why? What benefits are you reaping from it? Are there any downsides?

If you don't pay your bills through your credit card,w why/what's keeping you doing so?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bill Pay w/Credit Card Do You or Don't You

I do it some times, if I have a bill due a certain day but won't have the full amount until the following week or two. So I use a CC to pay it and then pay the CC in full. None of mine have rewards or cash back until my Disover comes in the mail so it's not that for me, just the advantage to be able to pay a bill on a day when I may normally not be able to pay it, only due to date timing, etc. Works ok for me so far.

**oops didn't see that you said AUTO pay. I only do that for my myprivacymatters membership.

Message 2 of 43
CreditExpressNJ
Established Contributor

@hutchj wrote:

How many of you do automatic bill pay with a credit card?

I currently started paying my cellphone bill through my Chase Sapphire card because I'm trying to accumulate as many points as possible without doing any added spending. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to pay some of my other bills through my CC as well, such as my car insurance & maybe my car note.

I guess I want to know,

If you do pay your bills through your credit card, why? What benefits are you reaping from it? Are there any downsides?

If you don't pay your bills through your credit card,w why/what's keeping you doing so?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

i currently pay all my bills with me CCs and i branch payments out to different rewards cards... its all  benefits why because u pay these type of bills every month so you know your gonna have the money and you getting rewards for it now win/win .... i just pay my insurance with my card and then pay the cash to my card done.. you paid your insurance and earned rewards...and along with that if your insurance anywhere near mine it looks like heavy usage that you pay right back my insurance is alot so yea...

CH7 Filed (3/29/17) - 483 EX 516 EQ 517 TU Discharged (5/31/17) - 559 EX 538 EQ 501 TU Current (1/18/22) - 690 EX 683 EQ 671 TU
Current Cards

Message 3 of 43
myjourney
Super Contributor

Yes I do pay bills with CC and the results are a lot of POINTS every month for things I have to pay anyway ....Woooo Hoooo

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 43
CreditExpressNJ
Established Contributor

@Journey +10000 ( HIGH FIVE) Pow!!!
CH7 Filed (3/29/17) - 483 EX 516 EQ 517 TU Discharged (5/31/17) - 559 EX 538 EQ 501 TU Current (1/18/22) - 690 EX 683 EQ 671 TU
Current Cards

Message 5 of 43
Simply827
Established Contributor

I've been paying all of my bills by CC autopay for about 2 months. I prefer it, since I don't have to go pay multiple things per month now, just the one CC that those payments are on. Of course I have to manually pay my other CCs and loans. I haven't looked into Bill Pay yet from my bank so maybe that't something I should look into too. I like that I'm accumulating points for things I'm already buying.

The only downside I would see so far is that when on auto pay, you might not pay as much attention to billing errors. I also inadventantly missed an insurance payment while setting up auto pay for it. I thought I was paying the bill and enrolling in autopay at the same time, but I suppose not. If that would have been paid from my bank account I would have likely noticed the extra money sitting there. 

Another downside might be if you're trying to show a zero balance and one of your bills just happens to post right before the statement is cut.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 6 of 43
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

I have all of my monthly cellular phone, landline, Internet and cable TV automatically billed to my Chase INK Cash card.

It pays 5% cash-back on those expenses, and having those services auto-billed to the credit card also provides a safety buffer against the possibility of service suspension, if for some reason - as during an extended vacation, I am neglect to make the utility payments on time.

Message 7 of 43
myjourney
Super Contributor

@shaun2009 wrote:
@Journey +10000 ( HIGH FIVE) Pow!!!

Smiley Wink (HIGH FIVE) Pow!!!!

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 43
Simply827
Established Contributor

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

I have all of my monthly cellular phone, landline, Internet and cable TV automatically billed to my Chase INK Cash card.

It pays 5% cash-back on those expenses, and having those services auto-billed to the credit card also provides a safety buffer against the possibility of service suspension, if for some reason - as during an extended vacation, I am neglect to make the utility payments on time.

I hope to get that INK next year.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 9 of 43
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

I pay all my bills that I can with a CC.  Like someone said you have to pay them anyway why not get some rewards for doing so.   I only pay certain bills with autopay though like insurance or bills that don't change from month to month.  I still pay cellphone and verizon fios manually because I still want to see the bill before I pay in case there are mistakes.

Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.