Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bittersweet CLI from AMEX

tag
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Bittersweet CLI from AMEX

So,

I got what is probably my last CLI from Amex today.  Increased from $16K to $24K.  The increase was via phone and although I got a little scare when I had to be transferred to the representative, the increase seemed to have been instantly approved.

But, the Amex system only takes increases up to $25K.  While I am sure that increases beyond that are possible, I presume they have to be done via the representative and probably entail additional headache. 

And so, my CLI journey over the past 2 years has finally come to an end.  I started with Amex approving me for $3K card with a shaky 640 EX FICO credit score.  Then a CLI every six months--up to $5K @ 660; $10K @711; $16K @770 and finally $24K @806.

They gave me the shot that I was hoping for, the credit rebuilder's dream--"just give me a shot and I won't let you down." 

Well played Amex!  Well played Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bittersweet CLI from AMEX

what was your history like when you got approved originally at the 3k limit?

Message 2 of 38
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

hmmm......depends what you mean.

I had gotten into a mix of identity theft and bad luck.  So, the 640 says it all. 

Message 3 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was denied an amex zync with a 720 fico score with no baddies, but short AAoA of 1 year. My oldest account was 1 year 11 months.

So I was wondering what your report looked like when they approved you, did you have to call and recon them?

Message 4 of 38
dharalex
Established Contributor

Your story is why I refuse to buy into the mass chaos over the FR. Amex will put their neck out for you. They did for me. I got a charge and a credit card with a CL of $15,000 with cs of 680. I just got a cli, so now it $20,000. So if they smell something fishy and think I need a FR, I would Gladys comply to keep my cards. The cs is phenomenal, too!

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 5 of 38
CS800
Super Contributor

May I ask what card it was?

Message 6 of 38
dharalex
Established Contributor

The PR gold and Blue

Message 7 of 38
sandsanta
Contributor

You should never think of credit card companies as sticking their neck out for you or going out of their way to make you  happy.  Whether you get approved or not is  a mathematical decision(exception being CU's).  Credit is a tool, not a right or priveledge granted to you by the good will of others.  

Exceptional congrats on the CLI's by the way.  Your hardwork and patience has paid off Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 38
dharalex
Established Contributor

I understand what you are saying, and I agree fundamentally. But, I had a low score and old 30 day lates well as an account that was closed by them in 2003. So yes, they did give me an opportunity that many other banks wouldn't have. Of course, I'm much more responsible and knowledgable about credit, but that doesn't stop banks from punishing you for years.

Message 9 of 38
sandsanta
Contributor

True,  if the discussion is which banks are terrible to work with and which are very pleasant then Amex wins hands down.  They have exceptional CS.

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.