Super Contributor

Re: Bittersweet CLI from AMEX

Just the regular AMEX BLue?

Message 11 of 38
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

@sandsanta wrote:

You should never think of credit card companies as sticking their neck out for you or going out of their way to make you  happy.  Whether you get approved or not is  a mathematical decision(exception being CU's).  Credit is a tool, not a right or priveledge granted to you by the good will of others.  

Exceptional congrats on the CLI's by the way.  Your hardwork and patience has paid off Smiley Wink

I have to agree with this, but i understand the "stick the neck out" sentiment.  It is a calculated risk that the company MUST make, but people are confused by the mercurial natural of that calculation.  For example, my approval was on a recon (someone asked about this earlier in the post).  I don't want to divulge too much about my report, but it definitely had some baddies.....serious baddies.

But I had also established a solid history with another card.  However, the $3K was easily higher than the $600 limit on my other card at the time!  That seemed huge at the time, and that goes to what the other poster meant when he wrote about "sticking the neck out"--it feels good when the calculation comes down in your favor when you expect that it might not!!

I've treated the card well over time.  I literally use it as my everyday card.  Admittedly, I'm also now a high income earner that can drop coin at Brooks Brothers and the like.  SO I don't know who much that helped.  The fact remains that i wasn't always a high income earner and Amex gave me a shot (on recon) when others were still slamming the door.

Message 12 of 38
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

I have the original Blue Cash and will not be switching to BCE or BCP unless they force me!!  Most of my variable spend is on gas, so I'll stick with the 5% until they force me to switch!

@CS800 wrote:

Just the regular AMEX BLue?

Message 13 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChemGuy wrote:

But I had also established a solid history with another card

How old was that card at the time?

Message 14 of 38
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

I think 8-10 months.  The cards have the same member since date, so I can't nail down exactly.  But i know that I got the amex a couple of months after the $600 was eligible for unsecured status.  Yes, the other card was a secured card.  Amex was my first card when my luck / credit was back on the upswing.  At the time, I had another card with another bank that had been charged off and that had a $3K limit (although it was only reported as closed by grantor on the credit report).  So maybe that's how Amex established the $3K mark?

@Anonymous wrote:

@ChemGuy wrote:

But I had also established a solid history with another card

How old was that card at the time?

Message 15 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot for the info.

I am starting to think CC approvals are just random or luck based. I will start applying for a blue cash preferred every monday until I get approved.

Message 16 of 38
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Congratulations! You've done really well with them. Gives me hope. Sometimes I wonder if I should even try with them, with all of the stories I read here. It's good to hear a positive story like yours. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 17 of 38
sandsanta
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am starting to think CC approvals are just random or luck based. I will start applying for a blue cash preferred every monday until I get approved.

What?  Its not at all luck based.  The only factor 'luck' has is if the person you ask for a recon is willing to work with you or not.  Online approvals are entirely automated. 

Doing this won't net you a card. 

Message 18 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sandsanta wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What?  Its not at all luck based.  The only factor 'luck' has is if the person you ask for a recon is willing to work with you or not.  Online approvals are entirely automated. 

Doing this won't net you a card. 

Explain the discrepancy between people with bad history, COs, low FICOs, getting approved for amex cards(blues and golds oddly) and people with good history, no baddies, mid-700 FICOs getting declined(zyncs, delta) please

Message 19 of 38
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

The $3K card was originally a Delta.  And I'm under the impression that those were easier to get a couple of years ago (don't quote me).  I switch to the Blue Cash sometime after my first increase to $5K.  I did this because Delta--according to some--was labeled the "non-prime" Amex.  I really don't think that's the case.  Plus, I was never flying Delta! So the rewards began to make no sense for me.  Blue Cash was a better play because of my gas usage. 

Clearly YMMV.  But Amex has been extremely good to me, even with me requesting the CLI every six month like clockwork!  But, I know I'm done now that I'm at $24K--can't request an increase electronically, and I'm certain no Auto-CLI are ever coming my way! 

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.