cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bizarre and Confusing Conversation with BofA Update:Successful PC to Boa Travel Rewards Card

tag
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bizarre and Confusing Conversation with BofA

@Revelate wrote:

@OptimasPrime wrote:

@CreditChampion wrote:

This ishilarious try to call back

I would try but I'm pretty sure its useless. However, I will follow up with that number the rep provided me next week to see whats going on. Its too bad really since I bank with bofa and would really like a reason to use their card, but would never waste an app on them.

I do find it a bit amusing that someone at BofA wouldn't have just unsecured the card based on a soft of credit report at somepoint over the last several years. My scores have been over 700 since roughly 2009.

FWIW, BOFA has a secured department that's only open M-F.  That's just the way it is frankly and there's nothing to do about it.

That said, their secured group has helped me every time I've called, and BOFA is now putting rewards on pretty much everything.  I'd absolutely call in your case, we're talking 5-10 minutes of your life, hardly tragic Smiley Wink.

Revelate- I am planning to follow up on Monday using the number the rep gave me. I am optimistic that they will be helpful. Do you know if the handle product changes as well as unsecuring cards? I am interested in the new travel rewards card they have that is 1.5% on all purchases. Not sure how interested I am in the 123 since I already have the BCE which has an identical rewards structure except for gas and groceries flip flopping between 2 and 3 percent. Thanks

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 11 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@OptimasPrime wrote:

Revelate- I am planning to follow up on Monday using the number the rep gave me. I am optimistic that they will be helpful. Do you know if the handle product changes as well as unsecuring cards? I am interested in the new travel rewards card they have that is 1.5% on all purchases. Not sure how interested I am in the 123 since I already have the BCE which has an identical rewards structure except for gas and groceries flip flopping between 2 and 3 percent. Thanks

I honestly don't know on that one, Yacomb is another member who I think may have PC'd nearly straight away from the secured card (though I believe his graduated beforehand) to a different product.  His was the standard secured card though, I can't remember anyone with a BOFA student card posting recently... and one has to figure old student cards went pear-shaped with the legistlature regulating them anyway, old ones may be in some funky limbo status.

Unfortunately lenders change their products over time and have internal identifiers for each (Chase Freedom is notorious for this depending on when and how you wound up with one) which have sometimes bizarre restrictions as to what you can and can't do.

In your case with a BCE, I agree: the standard 1-2-3 rewards isn't really that fantastic.  In any event I would talk to the department they gave you, see what you can and can't do, and worst case if it sucks and you can't PC at all, personally I'd consider closing it.  Alternatively you may be able to PC into a $0 AF card and just keep the tradeline open on the 1-2-3 rewards package if you can't go straight away to one of the premier BOFA cards, and two-step the process instead.  I know I'd love to be able to qualify for their travel rewards card currently, and as a result there's some upside to maintaining the relationship with BOFA as you have to figure they will continue to improve their products over time to compete with Amex / Chase on various things.

        
Message 12 of 16
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

I'm not sure if my case is similar to yours.. but here's my experience. I was approved for the Students Platinum Plus card back in May and when they discontinued the card I called and asked to change it to the cash rewards card. They sent me the new card 3 weeks later!

Current Cards:
Message 13 of 16
YahComb
Established Contributor

BofA: 888-260-4696 (secured accts.)

BofA: 800-824-5895 (secured & partially secured accts.)

FYI that first number(the one they gave you) is only open M-F, but that second number is the number i called on a Saturday to initiate my PC to a secured 1-2-3 Cash Rewards (i was auto-graduated 5 days later though, so i ended up with reguar 1-2-3 card by the time the PC was completed). So give them a ring.

This sounds kinda weird though. On the big thread about OA secured card product change, i'm certain someone mentioned they had a student card that they were able to convert shortly after receiving it.
EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 14 of 16
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

@YahComb wrote:

BofA: 888-260-4696 (secured accts.)

BofA: 800-824-5895 (secured & partially secured accts.)

FYI that first number(the one they gave you) is only open M-F, but that second number is the number i called on a Saturday to initiate my PC to a secured 1-2-3 Cash Rewards (i was auto-graduated 5 days later though, so i ended up with reguar 1-2-3 card by the time the PC was completed). So give them a ring.

This sounds kinda weird though. On the big thread about OA secured card product change, i'm certain someone mentioned they had a student card that they were able to convert shortly after receiving it.

Just a quick update in case anyone is interested. I just called the secured and partially secured accts. number that YahComb provided and spoke to an extrmely helpful csr.

I basically told her about the online chat with the rep and how I would very much like to unsecure my card so that I could pc. She pulled up my information and told me that my card was unsecured and that the only way it would have been secured would have been if I had provided collateral (basically what I had been pretty sure of all along). She actually sounded a bit apologetic/frustrated with the online chat rep who had given me this info.

I then proceeded to explain that I was interested in the new travel rewards card (1.5% on all purchases , no af version) and asked if I would be able to pc. She then proceeded to switch me over and stated that I would receive my new card in two weeks. Asked about a hard pull and she said it was not. The whole thing took maybe 2 minutes.

Long story short thank you to YahComb, and don't trust the information you get from BofA's online chat reps.

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 15 of 16
YahComb
Established Contributor

Smiley LOL Glad that is all cleared up. Backdoor numbers for the win!(i got that number from the stickied thread on this very CC forum, read it people!)

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.