Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bizzare - AMEX CLD

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bizzare - AMEX CLD

Given the volume of posts regarding this topic, you'd think by now that nothing would suprise me. I've been checking my 5 3/4 month old Delta Skymiles Gold account weekly for CLD.  Total CL is 2k, I have charged between $1200 & $1800 each month and always PIF before the due date.  Purchased flight for the hoilidays last week, went online today to verify charges, and noticed that I was CLD'd $145.  What's the point of this?  I have seen others posts mention "balance chasing".....that they'll likey whittle it down from here.  Any advice?

Good thing I diversified a month ago and landed a Discover More card-6k CL, and USSA Platinum Mastercard-25k CL.  Maybe this is the reason for the Amex CLD.

Bizzare!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Bizzare - AMEX CLD

atlanta1 wrote:

Given the volume of posts regarding this topic, you'd think by now that nothing would suprise me. I've been checking my 5 3/4 month old Delta Skymiles Gold account weekly for CLD.  Total CL is 2k, I have charged between $1200 & $1800 each month and always PIF before the due date.  Purchased flight for the hoilidays last week, went online today to verify charges, and noticed that I was CLD'd $145.  What's the point of this?  I have seen others posts mention "balance chasing".....that they'll likey whittle it down from here.  Any advice?

oy veh, it has gotten even weirder- reminds me of those GEMB type mini CLD's we've been hearing about a lot recently.

Good thing I diversified a month ago and landed a Discover More card-6k CL, and USSA Platinum Mastercard-25k CL.  Maybe this is the reason for the Amex CLD.

Excellent maneuver,  you'll be safe from amex drama since you PIF and have the best possible alternatives available to you.  v. nice work.  now if the pendulum swings back and amex has a rekindled interest in treating you right,  hmmm, i wonder how you'll feel about your business relationship with them.  They are a silly billy CCC, aren't they really?

In my experience they do seem to hate new accounts so that could have easily raised eyebrows with amex. 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a bit like having a jealous lover.
Message 3 of 5
score_building
Senior Contributor

the way things are now and you being an amex newbie they may also want to know you better and that you're not relying on the credit they've granted you.  charging up considerable balances and pifing can be good but also worrisome in this climate esp. when you're new at amex.

they could also be grief stiken at your other balances if any and about the 31k in new credit you now have waiting for you to use as you see fit.   there has been many posts listing other factors that you may find have led to your particular cld scenario or not.  amex has been mercurial in its regard for its customers.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 5
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Any number of things can spook Amex. However, in your case, the $145 seems a bit odd. By chance did you run the card up close to the limit when you purchased travel tickets? It could be the first step they do when trying to chase your balance.

Maybe they're worried about people racking up CC debt during the holidays or something.  

Here we go again...
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.