Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blacklisted from AMEX?

tag
Finance805
Valued Member

Blacklisted from AMEX?

So I was reading up that if you are blacklisted from AMEX no inquiries will appear.  Back in late 2008 I ended up going delinquent on my AMEX and it ended up being CO but PIF eventually.  I remember applying for an AMEX some time last year but remember being instantly denied.  I use Equifax monitoring and noticed I didn't have an inquiry from them so I always thought I was blacklisted with them.  Well, now I was going through my experian and transunion accounts to clear up some information I noticed I did receive a hard inquiry from AMEX in mid 2011!  Great news that means eventually I should be able to reapply with them!  Perhaps after the neg falls off my report?  On a side note, I only have 3 inq on both my Equifax and Transunion but my Experian has 14!

Updated Scores (All Pulled 4/9/15) - FICO: Equifax-774 / FICO: Experian-736 / FICO: TransUnion-777
Starting Scores - FICO: Equifax-670 (Pulled 9/2/12) / FICO: Experian-656 (Pulled 10/26/11) / FICO: TransUnion-627 (Pulled 11/14/11)
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Blacklisted from AMEX?

What was the denial reason?

Message 2 of 28
Finance805
Valued Member

Don't remember.  Didn't save the paperwork.

Updated Scores (All Pulled 4/9/15) - FICO: Equifax-774 / FICO: Experian-736 / FICO: TransUnion-777
Starting Scores - FICO: Equifax-670 (Pulled 9/2/12) / FICO: Experian-656 (Pulled 10/26/11) / FICO: TransUnion-627 (Pulled 11/14/11)
Message 3 of 28
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Finance805 wrote:

So I was reading up that if you are blacklisted from AMEX no inquiries will appear.  Back in late 2008 I ended up going delinquent on my AMEX and it ended up being CO but PIF eventually.  I remember applying for an AMEX some time last year but remember being instantly denied.  I use Equifax monitoring and noticed I didn't have an inquiry from them so I always thought I was blacklisted with them.  Well, now I was going through my experian and transunion accounts to clear up some information I noticed I did receive a hard inquiry from AMEX in mid 2011!  Great news that means eventually I should be able to reapply with them!  Perhaps after the neg falls off my report?  On a side note, I only have 3 inq on both my Equifax and Transunion but my Experian has 14!

Usually if you've paid the delinquent account, you will not be blacklisted. Your overall credit just has to be good enough for you to be approved again.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 28
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I think you should try again and go for a charge card!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 28
Finance805
Valued Member

Go try again now?  I am not sure about that.  My FICO score for Equifax is 670. I am not sure of my Experian since there is no easy place to get it and that's the file they checked last time although my Experian FAKO is 670 also.  As I said on my experian I currently have 14 inquiries (although 4 are in the last year and none since October 2011).  Also I have 3 negatives on my report:

• AMEX Charge Off/Paid in Full DoFD 3/2008
  • Chase Charge Off DoFD 5/2008
  • CA (Chase Charged Off to this Account) Settled for Less DoFD 6/2008

Do you still think I can qualify at this time?  I wouldn't want an unnecessary Inquiry since I plan on getting a house by June next year.

Message 6 of 28
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Finance805 wrote:

Go try again now?  I am not sure about that.  My FICO score for Equifax is 670. I am not sure of my Experian since there is no easy place to get it and that's the file they checked last time although my Experian FAKO is 670 also.  As I said on my experian I currently have 14 inquiries (although 4 are in the last year and none since October 2011).  Also I have 3 negatives on my report:

Do you still think I can qualify at this time?  I wouldn't want an unnecessary Inquiry since I plan on getting a house by June next year.

What else is on your CR? What's your AAoA? Any positive, open TLs? How many? How old are they? Is your util low? (Under 10% on only one CC)

You *might* qualify for a Zync, depending on the positives of your CR. Some people have gotten Zync w/a FICO in your ballpark. But you need some positive history -- at least 1 to 2 yrs with at least 2 open TLs. I'm not sure how they'll feel about the negs. If you don't have at least 2 positive, open TLs, then that's where you should start -- probably w/sub-prime cards and/or local CU CCs to begin with.

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 28
Finance805
Valued Member

@bichonmom wrote:

@Finance805 wrote:

What else is on your CR? What's your AAoA? Any positive, open TLs? How many? How old are they? Is your util low? (Under 10% on only one CC)

You *might* qualify for a Zync, depending on the positives of your CR. Some people have gotten Zync w/a FICO in your ballpark. But you need some positive history -- at least 1 to 2 yrs with at least 2 open TLs. I'm not sure how they'll feel about the negs. If you don't have at least 2 positive, open TLs, then that's where you should start -- probably w/sub-prime cards and/or local CU CCs to begin with.

AAoA 4 Years 9 Months

Current Open TLs

• Car Loan ~ $14k remaining, opened 2/2011
  • Capital One Rewards - $750 limit, opened 9/2010
  • Capital One Plat - $2,500 limit, opened 11/2011
  • Discover More - $750 limit, opened 11/2011
  • Macy's Store Card - $2,000 limit, opened 10/2011

Utilization is not an issue, currently high but I can pay down within one closing period.

Message 8 of 28
nissanaltimacrazyhorse
Established Member

the charge cards are easier to get my numbers and info is similar and they gave me a zync and a bce, the zync came with a hard limit of 500 but was lifted after 2 months.

chase sapphire preferred 5k
capital one venture 5k
amex blue cash preferred 2.5k
chase freedom 500
amex premier reward npsl

trans union 705 goal 750
equifax 675 goal 750

Message 9 of 28
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Finance805 wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

@Finance805 wrote:

AAoA 4 Years 9 Months

Current Open TLs

• Car Loan ~ $14k remaining, opened 2/2011
  • Capital One Rewards - $750 limit, opened 9/2010
  • Capital One Plat - $2,500 limit, opened 11/2011
  • Discover More - $750 limit, opened 11/2011
  • Macy's Store Card - $2,000 limit, opened 10/2011

Utilization is not an issue, currently high but I can pay down within one closing period.

IMO, I would wait. But then I tend to be conservative. Others may tell you to go for it. I'd wait until December or January. Then you'll have 3 TLs open just over 1 year, and 1 open over 2 yrs. December would give you an advantage for backdating all future Amex cards, since they backdate based on your original member since YEAR and the month of the new card. So, if you got Zync in Dec 12 and BCE in Jan 14, your BCE would actually be backdated to Jan 12 (11 months before you even got Zync).

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.