Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlockFi Suspends Purchasing Privileges Effective 11/11

Get your FICO Score for free

No credit card required

FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

BlockFi Suspends Purchasing Privileges Effective 11/11

Not sure if anyone has been following some of the recent developments surrounding the BlockFi situation associated with FTX's recent filing for CH 11 Bankruptcy, but it appears that California's Finance Regulatory agency just revoked BlockFi's lending license.

https://www.coindesk.com/policy/2022/11/11/california-finance-regulator-revokes-blockfi-lending-lice...

I had wondered how long it would be before some of these FinTechs would experience a bit of a crunch given the recent market conditions. I just received the following email from BlockFi:

8B8F9A79-CBF1-4405-9070-106FBB0DD90F.jpeg

This topic is mainly an informative one to keep folks in the loop as recent developments unfold. This isn't meant for bashing or trolling.

Message 1 of 79
78 REPLIES 78
RootDet
Frequent Contributor

Re: BlockFi Suspends Purchasing Privileges Effective 11/11

Honestly, I saw this coming. On reddit, tons of people were threatening to max out the accounts and not pay the credit card. they believe since blockfi suspended transactions and is going bankrupt, they get free money. Sad how uninformed people are about how credit works when lenders go bankrupt. but in this case, the lender did not go bankrupt, it's the partner where rewards are deposited.

I am going to ride it out and hope for one of two things

A) Deserve creates their own crypto back card and converts us

B) This ends up being another fintech card that closes down, but only after 2 years. I forget which card here was like that when they ran out of money. This at least gives me account age. 

So i am sitting back and watching the show. I kept no money there and emptied out my rewards when the market was rumbling. 

Message 2 of 79
12njoy
Super Contributor

@FinStar 

I knew it was just a matter of time with the flood of emails with updates.  I got my notice.  I guess no harm, no foul since it was a SP.  I carried a zero balance so I'll chalk it up as interesting 

Profile Worth 1.4M+ (Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 3 of 79
12njoy
Super Contributor

@RootDet wrote:

Honestly, I saw this coming. On reddit, tons of people were threatening to max out the accounts and not pay the credit card. they believe since blockfi suspended transactions and is going bankrupt, they get free money. Sad how uninformed people are about how credit works when lenders go bankrupt. but in this case, the lender did not go bankrupt, it's the partner where rewards are deposited.

B) This ends up being another fintech card that closes down, but only after 2 years. I forget which card here was like that when they ran out of money. This at least gives me account age. 

So i am sitting back and watching the show. I kept no money there and emptied out my rewards when the market was rumbling. 

I remember I had one of those cards but can't remember the name.  I know it was picked up by comenity and layed dormant for about a year or so before they closed it.

___________ 12Njoy
Message 4 of 79
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

It appears the suspension by the regulatory agency is set for 30 days while they investigate, so we shall see what happens from that. I guess I'll switch to Gemini and a couple others in the interim ☺️ Thankfully, I had already cashed out my rewards from BlockFi a few months ago since things started to be on shaky ground.

It was a decent card when launched and maybe it can still have a future...or not 🤷‍♂️ Heck, the X1 card has experienced some teething problems as well especially with recent CLDs from what I've seen.

Message 5 of 79
12njoy
Super Contributor

Wow.  I suspect more to follow.

___________ 12Njoy
Message 6 of 79
RootDet
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar 

For me, i think the biggest question is what Deserve/Evolve Bank wishes to do with us cardholders. If blockfi goes under, we are up for grabs for deserve to do as they wish. we just have to remember the lender is not struggling, so that gives hope. 

Message 7 of 79
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@12njoy wrote:

@RootDet wrote:

I remember I had one of those cards but can't remember the name.  I know it was picked up by comenity and layed dormant for about a year or so before they closed it.

Are you referring to good ole Blispay? 😂. If so, ah yes...good times while it lasted.

Message 8 of 79
12njoy
Super Contributor

@RootDet wrote:

@FinStar 

For me, i think the biggest question is what Deserve/Evolve Bank wishes to do with us cardholders. If blockfi goes under, we are up for grabs for deserve to do as they wish. we just have to remember the lender is not struggling, so that gives hope. 

That's true.  Aren't they funding another card?  I know I have something else with them.  Is it upgrade?  I've see their name somewhere else in my list of cards.

___________ 12Njoy
Message 9 of 79
RootDet
Frequent Contributor

M1 card, Sallie Mae CC, a student card are the top ones. they have various cobranded, whitelabel and affinity cards. 

Message 10 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.