Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bloomingdale's/DSNB CC Qualifications?

tag
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Bloomingdale's/DSNB CC Qualifications?

Was having a discussion with my mom the one day who was confused on a piece of mail I got...I signed up for a Bloomie's rewards card since i have $100 in gift cards I haven't used since I got them last christmas! My mom e-mailed me the next day congratulating me on my new CC and how disappointed she was that she got denied for their card!

Needless to say, she was disappointed we weren't able to christen in a new, spankin' new Bloomies card Smiley Tongue I rarely if ever shop there. I don't remember the last time I stepped into a Bloomies, even though I have stuff from there that I get as gifts!

I was trying to ask my mom about how long ago she app'd, what's on her report, etc. She didn't answer the questions at first, but I know that her credit reports are less than stellar.

After her and I went through her reports, found out experian is the puller for DSNB. Her last app from them was in November, and going through the scoretracker on the experian site, her score was higher back then than it is now. New accounts likely lowered her score, and a high utility.

So now, we will be going to the outlet's later tonight, and I feel like she would be tempted to apply again (or try to get me to sign up for one...nuh uh, I got that nice AMEX offer waiting for me!). Here's a little outline of her CR:

8 inquiries in the past two years (condensed as 5 due to 4 of them being for car loan), oldest in Feb 2012 from a car loan, most recent was the Bloomies in November 2012.

13 open accounts, 5 closed accounts, 3 baddies on accounts (recent one 1.7 years ago), as follows:

Opened

GECRB/Sony Financial - $3500 - Nov 2012

Comenity Bank/DTYFR (some kind of jewelry card) - $4000 - Jul 2012

GECRB/QVC - $1500 - Mar 2012

Ally Financial, Auto Loan, 75 months - current bal: $11,994 - Feb 2012

Shell/Citibank (AU) - $800 - Aug 2011

Merrick Bank - $1400 - Feb 2011

Us Dept of Education, Student Loan, Deferred - current bal: $40,340 (ouch...sorry mom :X) - Sept 2011

Credit One Bank - $950 - Oct 2007

Cap One - $500 - Aug 2007, late 30 days

Bank of America, Mortgage, 480 Months - current bal: $407,555 - Jan 2007, late 180 days

Applied Bank - $2100 - Nov 2006

Cap One - $1000 - Apr 2004 (account in dispute)

GECRB/Lord & Taylor - $1000 - Aug 1995

Closed

Credit One Bank - $450 - Oct 2007, late 30 days (looks like they reissued out a new account that is in good standing that was shown above and dated it back to this one)

HSBC - Apr 2006, PIF for less than full balance, listed as a "key derogatory" back in Jan 2007, but is in dispute

Bank of America, Mortgage, 360 months - Aug 2004, closed and in good standing, refinanced

Bank of America, Mortgage, 360 months - Aug 2003, closed and in good standing, refinanced

Crossing Pointe - $110 - Nov 2000, closed in good standing

Utilization 55%

That makes my own head spin o.O

Anyways, obviously she's doing better now, but her report isn't so great. Personally, I would tell her to wait on any and all credit cards, try to remove those baddies or wait for them to drop off, lower her utilization down to 10% or under, and "cut" away at those annual fee cards (ahem ahem, Credit One, Applied Bank, Merrick...). Cap One we could always try to remove the annual fees via EO. I would get her to get CLI increases on those GE accounts, but i'm afraid of her spending more thanks to the increased limit. Ah, if only my mom would listen to my credit advice...

I mean she even received an offer for Chase Freedom in the mail, so you know her credit is getting "better", but still not completely there.

SO...sorry for the long post, but based on everyone's knowledge of DSNB, what would be the chances if I couldn't stop her? XD

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Bloomingdale's/DSNB CC Qualifications?

I opened Macys in March during my spree and yes they pulled EXP. My scores were in the low 700's but my util was less than 15%. I have 1 baddie, a paid/released state lien from 2006. AAOA was a little over 4 years, oldest acct 28 years.

I would definitely say the util is hurting her. I had opened 6 new accounts in the past year.
Message 2 of 4
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
I opened Macys in March during my spree and yes they pulled EXP. My scores were in the low 700's but my util was less than 15%. I have 1 baddie, a paid/released state lien from 2006. AAOA was a little over 4 years, oldest acct 28 years.

I would definitely say the util is hurting her. I had opened 6 new accounts in the past year.

Thanks Lexie for the response! Her exp plus is showing 665 for right now, around Nov it was in the 670's, so not much difference.

Utility is hurting her tremendously...i keep advising her to pay it down...since I don't know 100% how my household finances are, I'm hoping she does begin to pay it down and stop ordering stuff that keeps adding to the CC debt...

Message 3 of 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

As you know, the lower util is killing her score. I think they can overlook the baddies if not for the high util.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.