Blue Cash Everyday

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Blue Cash Everyday

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Although the signup bonus would be nice, I now dont see myself using this card long-term since at least half my grocery spend is at wholesale clubs. I would use it, get the bonus, then probably put it away and never use it again. I have a few weeks to decide, but I think I will stick with my Citi DC.

Thanks for the feedback!

What card do you use at Costco? Since they only take Amex (for now), you could use the BCE there, for 1% cashback. My main use for BCE is at costco, and grocery stores (since I don't have SM).

It's worth getting for the sign up bonus, and for the occasional Amex offers.

We actually have a membership at BJ's (have for years), and there we use Citi DC now for 2% back. I wasn't aware that Costco only takes Amex! Good to know if I ever decide to switch.

What kind of offers does Amex usually have?

if i was a frequent costco shopper I would use a fidelity amex for 2%, or maybe use a charge card for mr points as that would be 2% return as well.

Amex has tons of offers, some random, some targeted, some good, some bad. The best offers I have had in the past were added from twitter, foursquare, facebook, and trip advisor. Now primarily its just twitter.  I have had offers such as $20 off $40 anywhere, $15 off $25 anywhere, $5 off $25 at exxon mobil, seen offers for target or walmart for $15 off $75(or $79)? Lots of hotel offers too, its a wide array.I would not sign up for amex specifically for the offers though unless you do quite a bit of shopping/traveling.

Message 11 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Although the signup bonus would be nice, I now dont see myself using this card long-term since at least half my grocery spend is at wholesale clubs. I would use it, get the bonus, then probably put it away and never use it again. I have a few weeks to decide, but I think I will stick with my Citi DC.

Thanks for the feedback!

What card do you use at Costco? Since they only take Amex (for now), you could use the BCE there, for 1% cashback. My main use for BCE is at costco, and grocery stores (since I don't have SM).

It's worth getting for the sign up bonus, and for the occasional Amex offers.

We actually have a membership at BJ's (have for years), and there we use Citi DC now for 2% back. I wasn't aware that Costco only takes Amex! Good to know if I ever decide to switch.

What kind of offers does Amex usually have?

Just be aware that that is about to change (in 2016) when they become Visa only.

Message 12 of 17
taxi818
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
It depends on your spending habits. Sallie Mae is preferable for both gas and groceries to me bc I have two. One I use for 5% at grocery stores, the other gets 5% at Target and Wal-Mart. Not coming close to spending over $250 a month on gas so even one SM would be fine. Not sure how it works with Costco etc., since I dont shop there.
BCE has its place for me bc of the backdate, credit line and free EX FICO so its a keeper. However, I havent personally found much value in most Amex offers since a lot have been for places Ive never heard of or places I dont shop with. Smiley Happy Figure out what suits your individual needs best.
Good luck

Yes the value of Amex offers is certainly YMMV.   As for the value of the card:  as the charts that have been posted many times show, there is no place (on gas and grocery spending) that the BCE is better than the Sallie Mae.   However, some use it as a supplement to their SM (if they can't get two of those).    But with Amex's more restrictive definintion of grocery, and the two month delay in getting rewards, IMO the BCE has very little going for it. 

The only time I used mine recently was to build up my reward dollars to $25 so I could cash out!

Wow. you actually cashed out for a 25 spot. This is funny indeed. Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
It depends on your spending habits. Sallie Mae is preferable for both gas and groceries to me bc I have two. One I use for 5% at grocery stores, the other gets 5% at Target and Wal-Mart. Not coming close to spending over $250 a month on gas so even one SM would be fine. Not sure how it works with Costco etc., since I dont shop there.
BCE has its place for me bc of the backdate, credit line and free EX FICO so its a keeper. However, I havent personally found much value in most Amex offers since a lot have been for places Ive never heard of or places I dont shop with. Smiley Happy Figure out what suits your individual needs best.
Good luck

Yes the value of Amex offers is certainly YMMV.   As for the value of the card:  as the charts that have been posted many times show, there is no place (on gas and grocery spending) that the BCE is better than the Sallie Mae.   However, some use it as a supplement to their SM (if they can't get two of those).    But with Amex's more restrictive definintion of grocery, and the two month delay in getting rewards, IMO the BCE has very little going for it. 

The only time I used mine recently was to build up my reward dollars to $25 so I could cash out!

Wow. you actually cashed out for a 25 spot. This is funny indeed. Smiley Very Happy

My reward balance was something like $23.95 for a year or more, so I finally decided.....   I got 2% less than I could have on what I bought, but at least I got that balance near zero!

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had to do the same a couple weeks ago. Had $23 and some change. Now theres 72 cents sitting there that I'll never get to spend Smiley Tongue I'll survive somehow
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Blue cash everyday is perfect for me, because I wouldn't touch anything that has sallie mae name on it, even if it offered 10% uncapped cash back, and I don't shop for groceries much (and when i do, it's usually either safeway or ethinic grocery stores), I haven't been to costco in a while even with free membership through work.

Actually, I think I buy prescription medicines from grocery stores more than actual groceries Smiley LOL

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm...How long does it take for an Amex card to arrive? I have an insurance bill which would easily put me over the $1000 required for the sign-up bonus. Smiley LOL

I might reconsider getting this after all.....

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.