cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Sky 30,000, 0% Intro APR 15 months, worth it?

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Blue Sky 30,000, 0% Intro APR 15 months, worth it?

Message 11 of 30
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

I guess my main question was: has anyone seen better on this particular card? If so, I won't take it. If not (and it seems like this is actually the best offer around for the card recently), then this is something for me to jump on!

I have not.  Granted, I'm no CreditAddict, but I did a little research and found that this Points for only $500 spend is the best.  I mean, even if you don't travel, you can trade the points for $300, right?  (I plan on trading on Hotels, so I'm not sure).  I like the no blackouts, no deadlines, etc, to boot. 

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 12 of 30
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Very true!

And at first i thought i saw a condition that would net me a lot of travel redemptions, which was the commuter rail and train...however with the way the redemptions work, my $13 one way or $26 round trip train tickets for the occasional weekend home wouldn't apply :/ only way it would was if i got a monthly pass which is like $200-something dollars, but considering on average i take the train once a month out of 9 months, not worth it Smiley Mad

oh well, I know it'll definitely pay off for the cruise, and potentially the onboard spending we acquire, or another planned vacation! not to mention i'll likely be going to the annual AMS conventions each year, and when I reach the point where i cannot obtain any more scholarships, that means planning airfare and hotel to places such as Phoenix (may be able to get a scholarship for that trip!), or New Orleans (will likely have to pay out of pocket, unless a job pays for me to go!)

Message 13 of 30
bribro
Valued Contributor

This was the offer that got me to apply for my first AmEx. I bought a $500 plane ticket SFO-JFK for to meet the minimum spend, and got the $400 statement credit so only had to pay $100 out of pocket.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 14 of 30
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@bribro wrote:

This was the offer that got me to apply for my first AmEx. I bought a $500 plane ticket SFO-JFK for to meet the minimum spend, and got the $400 statement credit so only had to pay $100 out of pocket.

Nice! Good way to do it! I may actually put the rest of the cruise money on it right away to almost make the $500, put the credit towards it, and have the peace of mind of the 15 month 0% interest in case a big purchase comes up...such as textbooks Smiley Tongue though not a tremendous amount and can be easily PIF, it would allow me to make chunk payments over a 2-5 month timeframe to keep more money in my savings.

Blue Sky could also become my new everday card for non-rotating categories/non-dining purchases...redeeming for travel makes it effectively a 1.(3)% on everything card, beating my Freedom at 1.1%. Sounds good to me!

Message 15 of 30
bribro
Valued Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@bribro wrote:

Nice! Good way to do it! I may actually put the rest of the cruise money on it right away to almost make the $500, put the credit towards it, and have the peace of mind of the 15 month 0% interest in case a big purchase comes up...such as textbooks Smiley Tongue though not a tremendous amount and can be easily PIF, it would allow me to make chunk payments over a 2-5 month timeframe to keep more money in my savings.

Blue Sky could also become my new everday card for non-rotating categories/non-dining purchases...redeeming for travel makes it effectively a 1.(3)% on everything card, beating my Freedom at 1.1%. Sounds good to me!

Remember, you can take those Freedom UR points, transfer them to your CSP, then transfer to United, Hyatt, etc. That 1.1% on Freedom is more like 2.2% if done properly, and that's being conservative.

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 16 of 30
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@bribro wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@bribro wrote:

Remember, you can take those Freedom UR points, transfer them to your CSP, then transfer to United, Hyatt, etc. That 1.1% on Freedom is more like 2.2% if done properly, and that's being conservative.

I just have the regular ol' Sapphire, not the CSP :/ otherwise then my Chase arsenal would be perfect!! I wouldn't even want that AMEX just yet! Can't justify an annual fee on a travel card at this point in time...as a college student, I simply don't travel a whole lot for me to reap the rewards!

Message 17 of 30
bribro
Valued Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@bribro wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@bribro wrote:

I just have the regular ol' Sapphire, not the CSP :/ otherwise then my Chase arsenal would be perfect!! I wouldn't even want that AMEX just yet! Can't justify an annual fee on a travel card at this point in time...as a college student, I simply don't travel a whole lot for me to reap the rewards!

Ahh, got it. You still might want to consider hoarding the points until you get a CSP later on. It makes me sad when people only get $0.01 cpp with UR points.

Message 18 of 30
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Ahahaha yeah, that's a good idea! Guilty, I have been redeeming for statement credits, just because I see it go up to XX.XX amount of dollars and the cha-ching in the checking account just looks so nice...not to mention their slightly better redemption on gift cards are always on gift cards i wouldn't utilize anyways.

Anddd the hoarding begins :X

Message 19 of 30
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

Your decision depends a lot on your contentment and credit goals.

I totally understand the desire for the card. The questions I've been asking myself lately is: is this a card I ll end up closing in a few month or is it a keeper for the next 10+ years?

I'm in a gardening mode right now. Im anxious to hit that almighty 6 year AAoA mark. I'm at 4 yrs now.

Good luck!

"May the credit protect you"
"Wisdom is the principal thing..."
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.