Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue from American Express Info

tag
Boribori
Contributor

Blue from American Express Info

So I've been working on rebuilding my credit and have gotten a couple credit cards since. What's up with Blue from AMEX? I don't see much talk about on YouTube or in the myFICO community. I know it's super basic, that's probably why I don't see much about it with it only earning 1MR point. Is this considered a rebuilding card from AMEX? Am I wasting my time applying? Any DPs would be great. Current FICO 600 EX. 

Total Credit Limit : $29,600
12 REPLIES 12
unsungivy
Established Contributor

Re: Blue from American Express Info

My card, opened in 2003, was originally a Blue from AMEX. The clear card with the shiny blue in the middle was pretty and unique to me, so was an immediate goal. I barely used it for years and years, being "scared of the dangers of credit" (thanks dad.)

At some point over the past 18 years they changed my card to be the Amex EveryDay (I'm honestly not sure exactly when, since as stated, it was more or less sock drawered for emergencies only). I did not request this, all I know is it went from blue middle to silver middle without a prompt from me.

Blue was fine for the lack of use I gave it. But at 1 MR it's a pretty weak return, and I've been surprised to learn that they product changed me when it still exists. Honestly, just go for the Amex EveryDay if you want a basic Amex card... Unless you gotta have that pretty blue and just care about getting your foot in the door with them.

SD - Biz -
Message 2 of 13
Rudy1
Established Contributor

I think it's a basic Amex which seems to share somethings with the Amex Everyday as the person below me said the Amex Everyday is more valuable. I personally like the person below me said have always loved that Blue design and the Everyday design. I remember when the card came out in the early 2000's my husband got one and loved it. I was an AU on it and it was cool to carry around that clear blue card. I think it was also the first AMEX to have a smart chip for online shopping.

>
Goal Cards:
Message 3 of 13
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Boribori wrote:

So I've been working on rebuilding my credit and have gotten a couple credit cards since. What's up with Blue from AMEX? I don't see much talk about on YouTube or in the myFICO community. I know it's super basic, that's probably why I don't see much about it with it only earning 1MR point. Is this considered a rebuilding card from AMEX? Am I wasting my time applying? Any DPs would be great. Current FICO 600 EX. 

It depends on which "Blue" you're talking about! (Although I don't think any of them are rebuilding cards, but I could be wrong.) I had the Blue Cash Everyday card for a while, which paid 3% on groceries, then recently got prompted to upgrade to Blue Cash Preferred, which I accepted. Its SIX PERCENT cash back on groceries is what did it for me! That by far outweighs its $95 annual fee.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 4 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Boribori wrote:

It depends on which "Blue" you're talking about! (Although I don't think any of them are rebuilding cards, but I could be wrong.) I had the Blue Cash Everyday card for a while, which paid 3% on groceries, then recently got prompted to upgrade to Blue Cash Preferred, which I accepted. Its SIX PERCENT cash back on groceries is what did it for me! That by far outweighs its $95 annual fee.

Well, there is only one "Blue from American Express"

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card/blue/?eep=25330&linknav=US-Acq-Shop-Consumer-VA...

Message 5 of 13
blossom_rebuilding
Regular Contributor

I have this card (it was my very first credit card!) and it is indeed super basic. I got it (1) for the VERY cool clear card and the gorgeous blue square and (2) because the points could be redeemed for gift cards, which I also loved. It got heavy use in my early 20s until I started valuing cash back way more. If you just want a foot in the door and don't mind not getting much in the way of extra points, go for the Blue. If extra points DOES matter to you and you don't mind the redemption for points, go for the Everyday. I'm planning to PC to the everyday as soon as AmEx lets me (had credit issues awhile back, and they haven't stopped being wary of me since...no CLIs and no PCs are available to me...but I live in hope!)

Message 6 of 13
Titans84
Valued Contributor

This was my 2nd CC ever and 1st with AMEX. I used it a lot before SDing it as I started to get better reward cards. AMEX eventually offered upgrades to a BCE and then BCP; which I took. 

Current FICO 8:

Message 7 of 13
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Boribori wrote:

Well, there is only one "Blue from American Express"

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card/blue/?eep=25330&linknav=US-Acq-Shop-Consumer-VA...

Oh, excuse me! You see, the way people use terms loosely, and don't capitalize (or do when they shouldn't), and don't use correct names all the time, *I* didn't know that's what the OP meant!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Blue, it was one of my first credit cards. I still keep it around for that reason, and sometimes I get decent Amex Offers on it.

Something to note, the MR points earned from the Blue cannot be transferred to travel partners unless you get another MR earning card. For whatever reason its a lower MR rewards tier.

Message 9 of 13
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@Titans84 wrote:

This was my 2nd CC ever and 1st with AMEX. I used it a lot before SDing it as I started to get better reward cards. AMEX eventually offered upgrades to a BCE and then BCP; which I took. 

That's interesting. I have Blue and requsted a pc to BCE. Request refused. I was advised to apply for BCE. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.