Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluebird from Amex?

tag
hayabusa

Re: Bluebird from Amex?

@Yj002 wrote:

I really don't think bluebird is targeted solely for a low-income individual. I have Pltinum and Gold Premier rewards Charge Cards and recently applied for a bluebird account and got rejected (which is quite strange, to be honest). I think a lot of users have used the card to rake up points, and this matter brings up to Amex's attention, I presume. I might be wrong about this, so any opinion might help me and other members.

It can be used in many ways, I like to use it to separate my spending. They also have paper checks now, this card as it is now is pure gold =)

Message 31 of 49
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@gettnthere wrote:
Im sorry but i agree with repo-ed. The OP referencing low income individuals with Walmart then stating thats "low social status" is quit frankly ignorant. Im not trying to be a dick, but i mean c'mon, OP just insulted probably half the members here. And bragging that your too good to shop at walmart bc you "push 3k a month" through Amex is ridiculous. There are people here that push 3x that amount through Amex and still shop at walmart.

I did not see the post as bragging or putting anyone down. The card is indeed for low income individuals. When they released it they said so themselves. Most prepaid cards are for low income individuals who have screwed up with regular chequing accounts, so have no other option. I do not shop at Walmart either because I think everything in there is rubbish, but that does not make me a bad person. Have you not seen People of Walmart?

We have another 1% here folks!

Smiley Very Happy

The ignorance is strong in this thread

There have frankly been a lot of stupid comments in this thread so far, starting with the OP's 3k per month through an Amex? Really? That may not make you "lower class", but it doesn't make you a lot more than middle class either.

By the time I got to the 4th page I couldn't stop shaking my head. This is something that concerns me quite a bit, with regards to the tone this country is taking towards "us (99%) and them (1%)". There seems to be a villification and instant dislike among many targeted at those who are wealthy, for whatever reason justified or not. In many ways once you're identified as such, it's like the flood gates open to condemnation and more. As someone who was born into (and will almost certainly die in) the 1%, don't typecast everyone in that group as being ignorant even if individual people make ignorant comments. It's no better than saying everyone in the 99% isn't as successful because they're lazy. Both are stupid and neither are true.

Bluebird was originally designed as a product mainly for those in the lower socio-economic brackets, but it has evolved to become more than that. Just because that's how it was originally designed doesn't mean that it's limited to that target audience only. VRs + Inks opened up a new group who wanted to maximize points, many of whom are definitely not "lower class". As others have pointed out there are even more reasons to use it like no forex, etc.

Last week we were walking through some shops and my financee wanted a cat statue she saw sitting in a Salvation Army thrift store (yes she's a crazy cat lady and collects cat statues). We went inside, bought it and left. It's not somewhere I would shop regularly, but I'm definitely not "above" walking into a thrift store when it's warranted. Were the most of the people shopping there poor? Definitely, we stuck out like a sore thumb. Do you need to be poor in order to shop there? Nope, we walked in like everyone else.

The same is true with Bluebird. Was it originally designed and targeted at people in the lower socioeconomic brackets? Probably. Are the only people who use Bluebird poor? Definitely not.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 32 of 49
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Smiley Very Happy

Message 33 of 49
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

Nobody on this thread seems to understand the true benefit of Bluebird and I hope you guys stay that way.

OP, yes it is for "low income" people like me. I only put 5k a month on my bluebird card (monthly maximum) and I hope they raise that limit so I can put in some more or else I'm gunna have to open another BB account somehow cuz I can't get enough of it.
[10%+] Internet, Cable, Cell phone
[5%] Gas, Grocery, Amazon, Airline tickets, Drug Stores, Dept. Stores, Target, MyHabit
[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 34 of 49
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kkapdolee wrote:
Nobody on this thread seems to understand the true benefit of Bluebird and I hope you guys stay that way.

OP, yes it is for "low income" people like me. I only put 5k a month on my bluebird card (monthly maximum) and I hope they raise that limit so I can put in some more or else I'm gunna have to open another BB account somehow cuz I can't get enough of it.

Before the previous poster revived the thread, the newest post was about 9 months old and the OP posted 15 months ago.  MS on bluebird wasn't quite as widespread then!

Message 35 of 49
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

Since this thread has been revived, I might as well ask: how do you set up MS with Bluebird? I've considered trying MS in the past, but I'm paranoid of getting shut down.
Message 36 of 49
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:
Since this thread has been revived, I might as well ask: how do you set up MS with Bluebird? I've considered trying MS in the past, but I'm paranoid of getting shut down.

There have been recent requests not to discuss it here in any detail.  But there are tons of threads out there,   Look for, for example, Bluebird Vanilla Reload

Message 37 of 49
WuXing5
Regular Contributor

@kkapdolee wrote:

+1 MS Smiley Very Happy  p.s. i just noticed this thread is about a year old lol.

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully. " - GWB
Message 38 of 49
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

Oh, I apologize. I wasn't aware that it was frowned upon on the forums. Thanks for the heads up. Smiley Happy

Message 39 of 49
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:
Oh, I apologize. I wasn't aware that it was frowned upon on the forums. Thanks for the heads up. Smiley Happy

It isn't  really frowned upon by all, but a community leader recently asked us not to, so ....

Message 40 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.