Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA Accelerated Amex - No Foreign Exchange Fee

tag
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: BoA Accelerated Amex No Foreign Exchange Fee

@DI wrote:

I sent them an email so that it would be in writing if true. 

Your cardmember agreement almost assuredly has some provision in it that says it can't be superceded in this manner.  But if you do get such an e-mail, and then use the card overseas, and are charged the fees, maybe you can convince BofA to refund them as a good customer relations decision if you can produce the e-mail.  In my opinion, this is likely confusion on the part of the CSR.  Anyone who uses this card overseas is going to get charged the 1% and would be much better off using a different card like a Cap One card if they have one.  This is not worth the headache trying to fix it after you get hit with the fees.  Especially when you are on notice after reviewing the terms and conditions that it does indeed have the fee.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 24
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Only cards issued by Capital One and Penfed Promise card have no foreign exchange fee. Other banks will charge it because Visa/MC/AMEX/Discover will collect at least 1% foreign exchange fee from card issuer.

Either get it in paper or don't trust the rep.

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Walt_K wrote:

@DI wrote:

I sent them an email so that it would be in writing if true. 

Your cardmember agreement almost assuredly has some provision in it that says it can't be superceded in this manner.  But if you do get such an e-mail, and then use the card overseas, and are charged the fees, maybe you can convince BofA to refund them as a good customer relations decision if you can produce the e-mail.  In my opinion, this is likely confusion on the part of the CSR.  Anyone who uses this card overseas is going to get charged the 1% and would be much better off using a different card like a Cap One card if they have one.  This is not worth the headache trying to fix it after you get hit with the fees.  Especially when you are on notice after reviewing the terms and conditions that it does indeed have the fee.

Thanks guys. Ive also sent them an email with the link to the contract agreement. Ill report back when I get a response.

Message 13 of 24
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Only cards issued by Capital One and Penfed Promise card have no foreign exchange fee. Other banks will charge it because Visa/MC/AMEX/Discover will collect at least 1% foreign exchange fee from card issuer.

This is incomplete.  There are several other card that don't have any foreign transaction fee.  For example, Amex Platinum card waives the fee.  Also Citi's Thank You Premier and Thank You Prestige cards have no fee from either Citi or Mastercard/Visa.  There's a fairly current breakdown here: http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/foreign-exchange-fees-going-up-1267.php  Of course, things always change and you should check your card agreement.

Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)

Message 14 of 24
vish1
Valued Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

I dun agree with this. My chase BA visa sig also doesnt have foreign transaction fee. In addition to this Cap1/Penfed also issue cards through networks like visa/mc/amex/discover so they also have to pay the same fee as other banks do to visa/mc/etc

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 15 of 24
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@vish1 wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

I dun agree with this. My chase BA visa sig also doesnt have foreign transaction fee. In addition to this Cap1/Penfed also issue cards through networks like visa/mc/amex/discover so they also have to pay the same fee as other banks do to visa/mc/etc

Not sure if I am understanding you correctly, but it seems like you are saying that Capital One still levies a foreign transaction fee that is charged by the network provider, i.e. visa/mastercard.  That is not the case.  Cap One may be charged a fee by visa/mastercard, no idea how they have worked that out on the back-end, but even if they are, they don't pass it on to the customer. 

Message 16 of 24
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@vish1 wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Not sure if I am understanding you correctly, but it seems like you are saying that Capital One still levies a foreign transaction fee that is charged by the network provider, i.e. visa/mastercard.  That is not the case.  Cap One may be charged a fee by visa/mastercard, no idea how they have worked that out on the back-end, but even if they are, they don't pass it on to the customer. 

Apologies for the confusion. I am NOT saying cap 1 levies any fee.

I was only trying to say that for the data in the post i replied to which read ("Other banks will charge it because Visa/MC/AMEX/Discover will collect at least 1% foreign exchange fee from card issuer.").

I was trying to say that this data point doesn't mean anything as all the banks including cap1 etc must be paying similar fee to visa/MC. Some lenders like cap1 just absorb the fee themselves.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 17 of 24
DI
Super Contributor

Update from BOA regarding No Foreign Exchange Fee:

Please be advised that Bank of America American Express credit cards are not subject to any foreign transaction fee; however, if you make a transaction in a currency other than US dollars with your credit card, American Express will convert the charge or credit into a US dollar amount. The conversion rate will be determined using American Express currency conversion procedures.

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you online. Should you have any further inquiries, please e-mail us again. Thank you for choosing Bank of America. We value your business and look forward to serving your banking needs.

Sincerely,
Bank of America

Message 18 of 24
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@DI wrote:

Please be advised that Bank of America American Express credit cards are not subject to any foreign transaction fee; however, if you make a transaction in a currency other than US dollars with your credit card, American Express will convert the charge or credit into a US dollar amount. The conversion rate will be determined using American Express currency conversion procedures.

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you online. Should you have any further inquiries, please e-mail us again. Thank you for choosing Bank of America. We value your business and look forward to serving your banking needs.

Sincerely,
Bank of America

As per the T&C, Amex applies a 1% commission to the converted amount.  I don't see this as saying otherwise.  I'm guessing if you use this card overseas and are charged a fee and try to present this e-mail, they will call the 1% commission that Amex applies part of the American Express currency conversion process.

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DI wrote:

Sincerely,
Bank of America

DI, look at how huge of a different response we got. Below is what I got and there saying 3% which is the 3rd different answer I got today,

Good morning and thank you for contacting Bank of America on regards of the foreign transaction fees. Your concerns are very important to us and we will be happy to be of assistance. 

We understand your concern. Bank of America assesses an international transaction fee for transactions in foreign currency or in U.S. dollars with foreign merchants in the amount of 3% of the U.S. dollar amount of the transaction and processed in foreign currency. The fee is assessed as a separate transaction fee on the posting date of the purchase or withdrawal. 

To review the terms and agreement for your accounts, please go to https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/cardagreement.action. 

We value you as a customer and appreciate your business. If we may be of other assistance, please contact us again. Thank you for choosing Bank of America. We hope you have an excellent weekend.

Sincerely,
Bank of America

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.