Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA Accelerated Amex - No Foreign Exchange Fee

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BoA Accelerated Amex No Foreign Exchange Fee

This has me even more confused. There still saying that there is no fee whatsoever.

BOA: Thank you for choosing Card Chat Services. How may I help you with your personal credit card today?  

You: Hello, I would like to know what the foreign exchange fee for my card is.

BOA: Hello, Tanner.

BOA: I will check the information for you.

BOA: May I please have the last four digits of your credit card?

You: Edited

BOA: Thank you.

BOA: Could you please verify your date of birth and last four digits of SSN?

You: Edited

BOA: Thank you for verifying the information.

BOA: Please allow me sometime while I access your account.

BOA: I appreciate your patience, Tanner.

You: Sure. Ive been told that theres no fee, a 1% Amex commission, and a 3% fee so im just wanting to be sure.

BOA: After reviewing your account details,  I see that there is no foreign transaction fee for your credit card account.

You: But doesnt Amex charge a 1% commission as found here? https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/tncview.action?cid=2054708&aolnEnv=disclosures.bankofamer...

BOA: I completely understand that.

BOA: Tanner, earlier your credit card had foreign transaction fee 3% of the transaction amount. However, it has been changed since 12/11/2010.

BOA: Now there is no Annual fee for your credit card account.

You: But since I would be buying things in pounds wouldnt I be hit with the 1% foreign transaction fee? I know the annual fee is free. Im only concerned about the foreign transfer fee.

BOA: Not at all.

You: So I wouldnt be charged the American Express commission of 1% for charging in England?

BOA: Yes, you are correct. You will not be charged foreign transaction fee.

You: Ok great, so I wont be charged any type of fee then correct?

BOA: Yes, that's correct.  

You: Thank You.

Message 21 of 24
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Good luck.  Unfortunately, I still think the above is evidence of the incompetence of some CSRs as opposed to evidence that they aren't going to levy that 1% commission when converting the currency.  Perhaps I'm too cynical, but I wouldn't trust it until I saw a change to the T&C.

Do you have a Cap One card or some other card that more clearly states they don't charge foreign transaction fees of any kind?  I would do this.  If I were going to be overseas for a while, I'd charge one small purchase to my BofA Amex, then use my other card while I was waiting on the transaction to post so I could see how they treated it.   

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 24
bakalao2k
Frequent Contributor

Someone needs to cross the border into Canada and make a purchase.  See if AMEX charges a fee.  :-)

TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Message 23 of 24
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

I want this card so bad!!!! (the cash version)

-----------------------
My favorite card right now: Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.