Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA Card Deactivation

tag
athensguy
Valued Contributor

BoA Card Deactivation

I have a Bank of America credit card that was previously a Fleet card. I'm not sure what my scores are, but I have no lates or other derogs on my CRs. I'd guess they are mid 700s, or at least they were about 750 when I talked to mortgage officer 2 weeks ago. I've had the Fleet/BoA card since '03, and it too has been paid on time every time.

I just got married and my DW's credit cards are worse than mine so we paid her stuff off and moved stuff we couldn't yet pay off to mine. She also decided she wanted to try to get a house so we're saving cash as a down payment temporarily instead of paying down CC debt. The mortgage officer didn't seem to have a problem with our overall DTI, but I am currently carrying a good bit of balance on my other cards, and most of the debt is at 0% or 1.99%. My BoA card is at $0.

The interest rate on the card has been pretty terrible since they rate jacked me after they bought Fleet, so I have called a couple of times to see if they would reduce the rate. Time before last when I called I didn't manage to get a lower rate but did get it converted into a Worldpoints Platinum Plus, and they gave me a CLI to $11,400 from $9500. The most recent time I called, the person I was transferred to looked at one of my CRs, said I owed too much money and that he was going to deactivate my card. I don't yet have any joint accounts with DW so he said that I couldn't count her income (which is larger than mine). Util% was about 35%. I can still log onto the BoA website and it still displays my credit limit. I have not actually made a charge on the card for about 6 months, and the last payment made was in Sept. 2007. It's been $0 since then.

Anyone else had that happen before?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Re: BoA Card Deactivation

That sounds like terrible service. I would surely contact a "higher up" at B of A about that. Do you bank with them too?
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 2 of 7
athensguy
Valued Contributor

I don't bank with them. I am curious if there is some sort of flag for accounts that came from other providers where we are treated differently than BoA original accounts. It seems praise for BoA is fairly common on this site, but I have never really had a good experience with them. Maybe I should contact someone else. The only reasons I care at all are because it is my second oldest living account, and if it was closed it would temporarily tank my Util even further.
Message 3 of 7
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Re: Boa Card Deactivation

My personal experience with B of A has been mixed. I use them for a secured credit card, and also bank with them.

With banking, they have never failed me.

As for the secured credit card... well, I think I get treated poorly since its a secured card.
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chambers, I think you should call BoA and ask to speak to someone that can actually help you.  We have 2 BoA CCs and a LOC.  I have never heard of deactivation of an account in all our years of being with them.  Sometimes you do have to keep asking for a higher up until you finally get to a dept that has the authority to take care of your problem, but in my experience I have always been able to accomplish what I was calling for by using this process.  As far as the rate jacking I think alot of ccs are doing that (not that I agree this is right)  I called on mine and hubbys card until now they are both at fairly decent rates, it took several calls.  We dont carry a bal. but it was the principal that with our scores we had such high rates.  I realize that some have problems and some dont, cant understand this except that it is the CSR some seem more willing to help.  Thankfully we have very few accounts to deal with.  Good Luck Vicki
Message 5 of 7
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the advice. Once I get done with buying a house, I will call them back and be a little more confident since it won't hurt me as much if they close the line.
Message 6 of 7
athensguy
Valued Contributor

I posted this a long time ago. My EQ was 798 two days ago, and I decided hey, I'll ask them to turn this card back on. It's been over a year since it was closed. I asked through the website messaging service as my login still worked from before. It is listed with available credit once again, so it looks like they did reopen it. Hopefully it will report correctly and not as a new card. All of my reports are frozen, so I doubt there was a hard pull involved.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.