Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA Cash Rewards Platinum to Signature Question

tag
Medic981
Valued Contributor

BoA Cash Rewards Platinum to Signature Question

My apologies if this has been asked and answered but I am unable to find an answer in past posts.

I recently increased my BoA Cash Rewards Platinum Visa CL from $3,000 to $6,500. I am curious if I am going to receive a Cash Rewards Signature Visa card or will this card most likely remain a Platinum Visa? 

TIA

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: BoA Cash Rewards Platinum to Signature Question

Found this post that is a couple of years old but relevant I think to your situation. The OP of that thread went to a branch office to complete the request but I think if you get a competent phone rep you should be able to get your request done.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/BoA-Visa-Platinum-Plus-to-Visa-Signature-Upgrade/td-p/...

Edit: another thread. Seems all you have to do is put the request in if you find the right rep and while it'll take awhile it is possible to do it.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/BoA-Visa-Signature/td-p/4987269

Message 2 of 8
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

Found this post that is a couple of years old but relevant I think to your situation. The OP of that thread went to a branch office to complete the request but I think if you get a competent phone rep you should be able to get your request done.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/BoA-Visa-Platinum-Plus-to-Visa-Signature-Upgrade/td-p/...

Edit: another thread. Seems all you have to do is put the request in if you find the right rep and while it'll take awhile it is possible to do it.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/BoA-Visa-Signature/td-p/4987269

Thanks for the quick reply! This answers my question!

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I requested conversion of my Cash Rewards card after the limit went over $10k: I'm not sure $5k is the conversion point. I called the number on the card and was routed first to a rep in upstate NY who transferred me to the Phoenix location and the rep there knew exactly what to do. I got the new card in about a week.
Message 4 of 8
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm not sure $5k is the conversion point. 

I believe the Visa Signature Card has a minimum limit of $5000. I am not sure what BoA's policy is, however, I am going to give them a call. I will update you after I get off the phone with BoA.

Message 5 of 8
Medic981
Valued Contributor

I called BoA and chose replacement card, other from the phone tree and was in the phone queue for about 10 minutes before I spoke with a CSR. The representative stated that what I wanted was a "product change" from my Cash Rewards Platinum Plus Visa to a Cash Rewards Signature Visa. This took her about 5 minutes to accomplish. I am not sure if this was a HP. She said my account history would not change however my CC number might change and I would lose any unredeemed rewards. She stated I can call the status line to get an update on my request. I hope this is not a HP because I am in the Garden and I am trying to get below 5/24 so I can apply for a Chase card. My card, if approved, will be delivered in 2-4 weeks. 

Tell me what you think.

Message 6 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Typically, any PC or conversion/upgrades should not result in any HPs. That said, if your card is moving from a legacy platform or discontinued product then the account number is likely to change. Account history is usually preserved so it shouldn't report as a new account.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had 2 BoA cards PCed last year.  One requested by me, and one they did because the old card was discontinued.  Neither resulted in a HP, and the account number and CVV # stayed the same... the expiration date might have changed though, I don't remember.

Neither PC involved a change from regular to signature/world elite or vice versa.  One was a regular (Platinum Plus) Mastercard, one was a Visa Signature.  Both retained their type, just the reward product changed.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.