Did you mean: 

BoA Forcing People to their APP for Free Fico Score

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: BoA Forcing People to their APP for Free Fico Score

@Yasselife wrote:

@ptatohed 
Full access at any place/time with only one finger, what's not to love? We can even use chat service for flirting and what not, limit increases are almost guaranteed. I dislike making calls as much as eating spinach.

@gdale6 we are about to enter 2022, 
🦖<< don't be that guy, lol, with all due respect.

It's his choice, right?

I mean, yes, the mobile app and the way technology has made innovations and improvements over the years has made things more convenient, but it also has made it a lot worse in other aspects of life. Of course, we're not here to debate those aspects.

The "don't be that guy 🦖" is mockery at best, regardless if you place an "lol" or "with all due respect" at the end.

If gdale likes what he's comfortable with, and if for some reason whether it's due to privacy concerns based on what the apps collect about a person or whatever reason(s) he might have, it's his choice. 

At the end of the day, if he doesn't download the BoA app (or any mobile app for that matter), even if he doesn't receive the FICO score via the app, will that prevent the sun from rising or setting every day?  Absolutely not. I'm sure he has ways to check his scores elsewhere.

Message 11 of 46
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Many companies are forcing people to apps now. Some electronics can't be set up or used/maintained without apps nowadays. Sooner or later you might not have a choice.

Unfortunately, from a compliance standards perspective on accessibility, FIs have to provide an alternative method without 'forcing' individuals to a mobile application. Individuals have choices, and if that's the way a business wants to conduct their UE it's perfectly fine, but an individual can choose or decide if they want such technology -- or not (i.e. not purchase such electronics or goods).

I mean, I like innovation and mobile apps as the next guy, but individuals still have choices.

Message 12 of 46
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I just checked email and logged in online and saw no such message either when checking my score or in the Activity Center, although I do also have the iOS mobile app installed.

There are a lot of better ways to try to incent people to use the mobile app.  :-/

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 13 of 46
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

A few years ago, I had an appointment at BOA and I asked about their android app. They said in case of any issue, they will resolve immediately at their end.

In summary, it is better to minimize the apps on phone (safety, battery, etc) and install only the apps that are needed in daily/weekly basis. To deposit checks, it is needed to use app and using PC is inconvenient.

It is good to monitor constantly the app accesses (use e.g. mobile security software) and uninstall the problematic ones. Skype is a good example of a buggy app and it occationally spreads messages in the app version, with link or attachment, while in its PC version, it works almost fine. If you need some apps like Skype occationally on phone, install it and after completing the calls, unintall it (or simply find another alternative trustworthy app that can work correctly).

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 14 of 46
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Yasselife wrote:

@gdale6 

Hi, what is it that you don't like about mobile app banking? Do you monitor your accounts on pc only, or https web from your phone browser. 
I personally find apps very convenient, more friendly user... 5 yrs no issues. If you lose your card, you can lock it right away.

Its not about the app or any app it is that I am old and set in my ways. Im not interested in conducting business on a phone, a phone is for making and receiving calls.. I still do most of my communicating by making phone calls not sending email and I do not do text either.

Message 15 of 46
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@Yasselife wrote:

@gdale6 

Hi, what is it that you don't like about mobile app banking? Do you monitor your accounts on pc only, or https web from your phone browser. 
I personally find apps very convenient, more friendly user... 5 yrs no issues. If you lose your card, you can lock it right away.

Its not about the app or any app it is that I am old and set in my ways. Im not interested in conducting business on a phone, a phone is for making and receiving calls.. I still do most of my communicating by making phone calls not sending email and I do not do text either.

Don't sweat it. Im also a diehard throwback old schooler who is actually set in my ways too and strickly "mail in" some of my card payments in spite of the fact most of my accounts i do zip them out via PUSH from my bank equals (3) days at most except Comenity. If the mailed payment is toying my patience i call Comenity and pay-by-phone. Talk phone not App.

The one's i mail in has never let me down or been delayed in over 12 years.

You could call them and air your concern to request just to see what answer they give you if their dead set doing app only or if they might also make exceptions.

Message 16 of 46
sladesurfer
Regular Contributor

I keep my money under the mattress....

PenFed Power Cash Rewards
Penfed Gold
NFCU Amex More Rewards
NFCU Cash Rewards
NFCU Flagship
Goldman Sachs Apple Card
Chase IHG Rewards Club Card
Chase Freedom Flex
Chase Freedom Unlimited
Amex Business Prime Card
Amex Marriott Brilliant Card
Amex Hilton Aspire Card
Amex Charles Schwab Platinum
Amex Gold Card
US Bank Cash+ card
Discover It Card
Capital One Quicksilver Card
Citi Double Cash
Citi Premier
Message 17 of 46
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

I hope this goes without saying but too important not to say at all.....  do not do mobile banking while using public wifi!  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 18 of 46
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

If there is a need to use a public wifi for any reason, it is better to use also a trustworthy secure VPN in addition to internet security software such as McAfee (for banking, some interent security software provide also a specific mode e.g. "safe money", to prevent screen snapshoting).

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 19 of 46
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Yasselife wrote:

@ptatohed 
Full access at any place/time with only one finger, what's not to love? We can even use chat service for flirting and what not, limit increases are almost guaranteed. I dislike making calls as much as eating spinach.

@gdale6 we are about to enter 2022, 
🦖<< don't be that guy, lol, with all due respect.

You use banking apps to flirt with digital assistants? 

Message 20 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.