Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA Forcing People to their APP for Free Fico Score

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: BoA Forcing People to their APP for Free Fico Score

I thought about this and I do feel like this isn't the right move by BoA (or any other lender).

Push to use apps is simply done to reduce calls and tasks that can be performed in app instead of getting help from CSR. 

It's kinda like when you walk into a bramch for whatever reason, someone is bound to start navigating you to ATM like a sheep as if access to teller or banker requires ring and secret handshake. 

I get it, but at the same time, if I'm sticking with traditional lender, don't go Fintech on my bum. CSRs need jobs, too. 

Now they are holding Fico score hostage, but what if you didn't have cards with them? Hold deposits longer?A phone call fee? 

Is this reserved for those who do not bank with them? 

I prefer app to calls, if I can do it myself I will, but I cannot quite appreciate the blackmail(ish) aspect of this. 

I understand we aren't entitled to "free" score, so that's fine. Some don't even provide it and I'd prefer that to "Use app or it's Credit Karma, peasant" 

Message 31 of 46
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

I resisted banking apps for a while.  But check deposits from home using your phone?  Priceless!  

@ptatohed Can you say this one more time, please 😁

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 32 of 46
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

I thought about this and I do feel like this isn't the right move by BoA (or any other lender).

Except that BofA HASN'T done this! At least not to me.

As noted in my post upthread, the FICO link is right where it's always been for me; I'm using a web browser on a computer. I even provided its direct link. I don't know why they would selectively remove it from some customers' accounts, but since the OP hasn't updated yet, including whether the link worked, we don't know for sure what's going on.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 33 of 46
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

@SoCalGardener 

Maybe a glitch in their system, 🤷‍♂️ Everything is possible. 

Message 34 of 46
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Yasselife wrote:

@SoCalGardener 

Maybe a glitch in their system, 🤷‍♂️ Everything is possible. 

Indeed! And since we're not seeing a tsunami of "me too" posts, it seems to be a rather limited glitch.

Hope that's all it is--like the OP, I don't want to be FORCED to use the app. I'll be mad if it turns out to affect everyone.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 35 of 46
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@MileHigh96 wrote:

Unfortunately I think you are going to be in the very small minority on this one.  More and more people are using their smartphone for EVERYTHING, including mobile banking.  I have the apps on my phone for every bank/credit card I do buisness with and it's awesome to have all of that at my fingertips any time I need it.  As others have mentioned, you can control your cards instantly if they are lost or stolen, which is a HUGE plus in these days when identity theft is rampant.  And lots of times, the apps are designed better than the websites are anymore because they are putting more effort into making slick apps versus webpages.  And I even resisted using a mobile wallet for a long time too, but now I am fully invested in Google Pay.  If I forget my wallet for some reason, I still have access to all my payment methods (excpet cash of course, which I rarely ever carry anymore).

What is your hesitancy in not wanting to use the apps?

Politely disagree, with the bolded/italicized/underlined portion in the quote above -- I almost never use banking apps, and nearly always use the equivalent web page functionality.  Why?  IME, the web page has a much more refined and mature interface, and is not lacking features and functionality that are available on the applicable web pages, but not the equivalent smartphone app (which I have found in quite a few cases of the apps I use to be the case).  Not to mention, the relatively small and tiny viewport size of the smartphone apps are definite turnoff, in mho...I would much rather have a full-size / desktop viewport screen to view all of the relevant card info on.

Message 36 of 46
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I can also confirm that I can still check my FICO score on the BofA website on a computer. I got to it by hovering over the Tools & Investing tab at the top of the website.

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 9.38.41 PM.png

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 37 of 46
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Logged in and saw this today, no more Fico score unless I download their app. Not going to happen, I never will use a smartphone for anything. I wont just go with the flow. I also see all these deals being posted here in main CCs and when I check with BoA not a single deal available for either of my cards.. If these 2 cards didnt give me the ability to change the 3% category every month I would shut both of them down. Im getting more selective on who I keep and who goes. Got plenty of other banks willing to give me a Fico score and I dont use their apps....

Mine has a link right from the front page when I log in on my laptop scratch.gif

BoA Fico 801.png

Message 38 of 46
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

I resisted banking apps for a while.  But check deposits from home using your phone?  Priceless!  

Lol.  Remember the days of gathering up your checks and going to the ATM to deposit them?  Doesn't feel that long ago, yet it feels so long ago.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 39 of 46
calyx
Super Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

Lol.  Remember the days of gathering up your checks and going to the ATM to deposit them?  Doesn't feel that long ago, yet it feels so long ago.  

Getting frustrated when the envelope slot was empty and you had no way to deposit them?  Having to add up the total amounts and hoping your math wasn't off.

I remember the first time they had those check readers with no envelopes and I was so scared it wouldn't deposit right.  Now you can't get me to use anything but mobile deposit.

To bring it back to OP:   I still have FICO scoring on my BoA account online.   And yes, there are better ways to incentivize people to download the app.  BoA is actually only on my phone because they offered $10 for me to download it and use it to pay for something.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 40 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.