Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA PC eureka moment??

tag
BuildingBetterCredit2020
New Contributor

BoA PC eureka moment??

Question for folks - Has BoA's Customized Cash Rewards, Premium Rewards, and Travel Rewards cards always been Signature Visas? If so, I just realized why they wouldn't PC my Platinum Plus BankAmericard. I have a CL under $5K on this card (Signature Visa's require a minimum CL of $5K that I'm aware of). Does it stand to reason that if I'm able to bump up the CL on this card to over $5K, that it would THEN be eligible for a PC down the road? Any suggestions on how long I should wait after a CLI before requesting a PC on the card, if at all?

Sept 2023

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Namaste7
Established Contributor

Re: BoA PC eureka moment??

@BuildingBetterCredit2020 wrote:

Question for folks - Has BoA's Customized Cash Rewards, Premium Rewards, and Travel Rewards cards always been Signature Visas? If so, I just realized why they wouldn't PC my Platinum Plus BankAmericard. I have a CL under $5K on this card (Signature Visa's require a minimum CL of $5K that I'm aware of). Does it stand to reason that if I'm able to bump up the CL on this card to over $5K, that it would THEN be eligible for a PC down the road? Any suggestions on how long I should wait after a CLI before requesting a PC on the card, if at all?

BofA is marketing the Visa Signature [VS] more prominently on their website; however, the option is not new. CLIs and PCs are independent of the VS status. CLI approval odds will be higher for customers with a high TU 8 (740+) scores, high income or NW, and/or low DTI.

Successful PCs require luck (i.e., the right agent) and could be based on a customer relationship score 🤷. Preferred Reward status may improve the PC outcome. In the early 2010s, I didn't have issues with PCs. Then I went through a period (late 2010s) where my attempts were unsuccessful. Earlier this year, I pleaded my case (i.e., TR card did not make sense when I'm not traveling) and two great reps made it happen. YMMV. YMMV. YMMV. 

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 2 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, it's based on internal product code.  

Recently, it has been more of a challenge to PC a variety of their Cash Rewards CCs, for example.  Of the ones you mentioned, the Premiun Rewards is issued as a VS, the others can get issued as non-VS or non-WMC.

So, the limit doesn't really have much to do with hindering a PC.  You can try and see if your particular legacy product *may* be eligible for a PC once you cross the $5K mark, but it appears that BoA has simply restricted that feature altogether.

Message 3 of 12
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I'm pretty sure the Cash Rewards was issued as a MC for a while... like between when I got my VSig version (2017) and now.

Message 4 of 12
unsungivy
Established Contributor

My BoA Cash Rewards card is an MC. And for the record, I used to have a Visa points card with them, but they refused to product change. Having a 4.2k limit may have been part of the reason, but I think it's more likely that it would have been changing between a points system to a cashback system, and I've read that most banks will only product change if it's the same type of reward system. I feel like when I got the cash rewards card two years ago I got to pick between Visa or MC depending on if I wanted it to feature WWF or breast cancer etc.

I spoke to at least 5 different customer reps and got vastly differing answers when I was researching if I could product change (since that incredibly useless Visa was my oldest card and I wanted to retain the history on it), and then they instructed me incorrectly, so yeah. 

SD - Biz -
Message 5 of 12
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the Cash Rewards was issued as a MC for a while... like between when I got my VSig version (2017) and now.

It was issued as a MC for roughly a year in 2018-2019 timeframe then it started being issued to new applicants again as a Visa.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 12
BuildingBetterCredit2020
New Contributor

Thanks for the info an insight everyone. I clicked the luv button this am and got a CL increase over $5K. From what most of you have said here, it doesn't seem to have a bearing on the PC directly. Next question though - Would the approved CL increase that I requested this morning raise any eyebrows if I were to also ask for a PC today?

Sept 2023

Message 7 of 12
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

No, but I would doublecheck online and confirm that the reported credit limit now reflects the CLI before proceeding, to confirm that the update has propogated correctly through their systems. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 8 of 12
BuildingBetterCredit2020
New Contributor

The new CL shows up on my account online so all seems good.

Sept 2023

Message 9 of 12
BuildingBetterCredit2020
New Contributor

So I called up BoA this afternoon and requested a PC to their Custom Cash Rewards card. The agent said she'd check "eligibility" right then and there. A few moments later, no questions asked, "Sure, this shouldn't be a problem". She read me a disclosure agreement and *BOOM*, PC'd. New card should be arriving in the mail in a few weeks. I was stunned. Now I'm truly wondering whether it's a combination of CLI and getting the right agent. This was the 3rd time I called in the past year! Way to end the week....a CLI AND a PC in one day. Time to celebrate!

Sept 2023

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.