Did you mean: 

BoA Premium Rewards Grocery/Dining Credit

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: BoA Premium Rewards Grocery/Dining Credit

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm torn on the BOA Premium Rewards.  It's a good SUB play, with a 16.7% return on spend for a card whose annual perks can exceed its annual fee.  So I will probably get it at some point when I resume traveling and can use the incidental credit.

But I am not sure I would ever actually use the card.  In terms of noncategory spend, travel insurance and travel earn rates, I already have better options.  

Currently, I am trying to collect as many BOA Cash Rewards cards as quickly as possible under the 234 rule.  

Yea I just got approved for this card which I got primarily for the SUB. I honestly don't think I will ever use it after meeting the SUB. Like you, I have much better options.

On the bright side, this card does pay you 5$ to just keep it. You can also use the incidental credit on airline gift cards for future use.

Just a piece of advice: this is not true for every single airline save AA, and that one coding loophole is subject to change at any time.  Gift cards are specifically prohibited with the credit.

The credit is ridiculously easy to use, though.  I have found myself using it for a paid F upgrade on 1 segment each year.

Message 31 of 53
TSlop
Valued Contributor

I haven't gotten this offer (yet). Currently, I hardly use the card and it might get 1 purchase every couple of months. I did just put a dining purchase on it this cycle. I'll be watching to see if this comes to all PR holders or if it is targeted or random.

Message 32 of 53
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I do not plan to do grocery AND dining, till the pandemic gets over completely.

Does BOA code instacart as grocery store?

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 33 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm torn on the BOA Premium Rewards.  It's a good SUB play, with a 16.7% return on spend for a card whose annual perks can exceed its annual fee.  So I will probably get it at some point when I resume traveling and can use the incidental credit.

But I am not sure I would ever actually use the card.  In terms of noncategory spend, travel insurance and travel earn rates, I already have better options.  

Currently, I am trying to collect as many BOA Cash Rewards cards as quickly as possible under the 234 rule.  

Yea I just got approved for this card which I got primarily for the SUB. I honestly don't think I will ever use it after meeting the SUB. Like you, I have much better options.

On the bright side, this card does pay you 5$ to just keep it. You can also use the incidental credit on airline gift cards for future use.

Just a piece of advice: this is not true for every single airline save AA, and that one coding loophole is subject to change at any time.  Gift cards are specifically prohibited with the credit.

The credit is ridiculously easy to use, though.  I have found myself using it for a paid F upgrade on 1 segment each year.

Thanks for the clarification! I wasn't sure if all the major airlines gift card hack worked or not with the card.

Do you feel the card is worth keeping year after year? I personally don't see me using the card after meeting the SUB.

Even if I had the top tier preferred rewards status it still wouldn't be that useful to me considering my current portfolio. I suppose an argument could be made that they are paying you 5$ a year to keep the card though.

Message 34 of 53
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Not sure on whether Instacart codes as grocery on PR or not; it does on Amex Gold.

I've had my card for 3 years, so I find it worth keeping.  Especially this year where they will pay me $55 to have it!

Message 35 of 53
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Not sure on whether Instacart codes as grocery on PR or not; it does on Amex Gold.

I've had my card for 3 years, so I find it worth keeping.  Especially this year where they will pay me $55 to have it!

It does on CSR, so hopefully that would apply to PR as well.

Message 36 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Nice! Do you have any idea if upgrades to a higher cabin would trigger the credit? I'm specifically preferring to United. 

Have a flight that I would like to upgrade to first next March and was wondering if the 100$ credit would be triggered.

Message 37 of 53
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Nice! Do you have any idea if upgrades to a higher cabin would trigger the credit? I'm specifically preferring to United. 

Have a flight that I would like to upgrade to first next March and was wondering if the 100$ credit would be triggered.

Like I said a few posts ago, I have used mine each year for a paid upgrade to First.  "Seat upgrades" are specifically listed in the covered charges (unlike Amex where they are specifically excluded).

Message 38 of 53
FieryDance
Frequent Contributor

Hmm, I have had the card for about a year now and I didn't receive any email.  Sounds like a widely targeted offer though.  Would have been nice for sure!  

I am in fact debating whether to keep the PR for another year.  Without international travel I hardly use the card.  And if now Travel Rewards points can be redeemed for groceries it makes more sense just to downgrade the PR to TR.  

Message 39 of 53
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@FieryDance wrote:

Hmm, I have had the card for about a year now and I didn't receive any email.  Sounds like a widely targeted offer though.  Would have been nice for sure!  

I am in fact debating whether to keep the PR for another year.  Without international travel I hardly use the card.  And if now Travel Rewards points can be redeemed for groceries it makes more sense just to downgrade the PR to TR.  

I know in the past some people had trouble downgrading the PR card. They were basically told they had to cancel it, no option to downgrade. I don't know if that's still the case.

If you're not at Preferred level with BOA the Premium card isn't that exciting at 1.5/2% on spend so I wouldn't hesitate on cancelling it. But, if you are in the Preferred Rewards, the decision is a little tougher, especially since they are very tight on approving the card (later if you change you mind).

Message 40 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.