Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA: Received 'invitation' to upgrade to signature visa

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BoA: Received 'invitation' to upgrade to signature visa

Hey there. I have the BoA platinum plus. Today, I received an email from BoA offering to upgrade the card to the Signature Visa. Are there any cons to this? Do the signature BoA cards report a credit limit to the CRAs? I tried searching the forum, but I didn't find any information. If anyone can answer these questions, I'd appreciate it!
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BoA: Received 'invitation' to upgrade to signature visa

Just out of curiousity, but what makes it an "upgrade?"

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just out of curiousity, but what makes it an "upgrade?"

That's what I'm trying to ascertain. According to the email, it's basically a rewards card.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand upgrades from secured to unsecured, from standard cards to gold and platinum and from non-reward to reward.  But it seems that a Plat Plus $10k to Signature $10k is pretty much an even exchange.

To me, upgrade means I get something new or more, like more CL or more rewards or better rates/terms, etc.

The Plat Plus can be converted to the World Rewards, such as the World MasterCard or the Visa Rewards (BankAmericard Rewards Visa).

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

SIGNATURE = No Preset Spending Limit

In credit report look like an Amex Charge Card. Also, can Increase or Hide Utilization.

Message Edited by crdtUser on 01-19-2010 07:33 PM
Message 5 of 16
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

The "upgrade" is from the :"Platinum" benefits to the "Signature" benefits. (Also from CL to NPSL.)

Reference:

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/benefits/index.html

It really is an upgrade. Something I'd consider, txjohn. Time to move some of those CL's off your CBR! 

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

The "upgrade" is from the :"Platinum" benefits to the "Signature" benefits. (Also from CL to NPSL.)

Reference:

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/benefits/index.html

It really is an upgrade. Something I'd consider, txjohn. Time to move some of those CL's off your CBR! 

Thanks for the link. It does look like an upgrade, but I'm not sure it's worth giving up my credit limit for. I'm surprised nobody else has posted on here about these offers from BoA.

Message 7 of 16
Kiwill
Frequent Contributor

From what I understand, CC companies don't send invitations via email.  Please be careful and call BOA about the invitation to make sure its legit.

Starting Score: EQ 729, TU 752, EX ? (1/1/2011)
Current Score: EQ 696, TU 718, EX 686 - PSECU (5/17/2011)
Goal Score: ALL 800+ by December 31, 2011

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
PROUD MEMBER OF THE 700 CLUB!
Message 8 of 16
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Kiwill wrote:
From what I understand, CC companies don't send invitations via email.  Please be careful and call BOA about the invitation to make sure its legit.

Incorrect! I received my invitation to accept a Macy's Visa via email. I also accepted the card via the email. (Carefully!) About six months later I found a piece of smail that extended the same offer to me. (In my "inbox" and it predated the email.) I'm very glad they bothered to email me or I might have missed out on it altogether.

Message 9 of 16
Kiwill
Frequent Contributor

Of course with anything else there are exceptions Smiley Wink, i'd still be cautious though. 

Starting Score: EQ 729, TU 752, EX ? (1/1/2011)
Current Score: EQ 696, TU 718, EX 686 - PSECU (5/17/2011)
Goal Score: ALL 800+ by December 31, 2011

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
PROUD MEMBER OF THE 700 CLUB!
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.