Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA Secured Card approval

tag
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: BoA Secured Card approval

Adding rewards to your card is a YMMV thing, some people have easy success adding it while others it's more of a challenge, there's no standard operating procedure for this it appears, it varies from CSR to CSR, nonetheless it can be done.

Keep in mind anything that happens after receiving your card, i.e. graduation and CLI's will depend not only on your use of the card but your overall profile and scores. Use the card heavily and pay it off promptly and build up your profile and you'll be golden.
Message 11 of 43
newhis
Valued Contributor

2.- I was able to add 3-2-1 with online chat before I got the card. This was more than 2 years ago, so I don't know if that's possible today. 

Good luck.

Message 12 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditguy wrote:
Adding rewards to your card is a YMMV thing, some people have easy success adding it while others it's more of a challenge, there's no standard operating procedure for this it appears, it varies from CSR to CSR, nonetheless it can be done.

Keep in mind anything that happens after receiving your card, i.e. graduation and CLI's will depend not only on your use of the card but your overall profile and scores. Use the card heavily and pay it off promptly and build up your profile and you'll be golden.

So I guess the SOP would be to keep calling back until you get a CSR that will agree to give you what you want. 

Message 13 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@newhis wrote:

2.- I was able to add 3-2-1 with online chat before I got the card. This was more than 2 years ago, so I don't know if that's possible today. 

Good luck.

I've looked into doing that, unfortunately, it seems like chat is always busy. 

Message 14 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America was good to me in my rebuilding. I only had a Care Credit card and a secured Capital One card when they offered me a secured card. I jumped on it. I charged and paid in full monthly for a little over a year when I received an email that it was no longer secured, the limit had been raised from $500 to 2k and no more fee. That was an amazing feeling I never want to forget. That was just a year and a half ago. I now have three credit cards with them and my car loan which is 1.99%. Some of the reasons I am a big fan of the bank.

Good luck to you! 

Message 15 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well they just took the money out of my savings today, same day as approval. 

Says "hold" on the debit. I don't see the new account yet though through my online banking. 

Message 16 of 43
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well they just took the money out of my savings today, same day as approval. 

Says "hold" on the debit. I don't see the new account yet though through my online banking. 

It can take a few days for it to show up, rest assured it will soon enough. 

Message 17 of 43
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, laugh all you want guys, lol. 

I bit the bullet and applied for a BoA Secured card because of all the good qualities I've heard about it, i.e: early graduation, potential rewards, generous credit line increases, etc. As much as I don't like the $39 annual fee and the 20% interest rate and higher fees compared to what my credit union would offer, this seems like it'll be a good card for me to build my credit. Current (real) EX sits at 608. I put down a $300 security deposit. 

Now, obviously, I have a few questions here. 

1. How long does it take to actually receive the card? I applied for it after 5 p.m last night, and my application was still "pending."  I called today to see if my application was  approved or not, but the rep said I gave them the wrong account number, so I fixed that immediately and she said I will be approved. I asked about the rewards and she said to call back after I get the card. 

2. Speaking of rewards, how do I go about getting the rewards attached? Might as well get the most out of the $39 annual fee with the 3-2-1 rewards. 

3. How long does it take for them to debit your account for the deposit? 

4. How long does it actually take to graduate? This is the full secured, not the partial secured. 

5. How good are the CLI's after graduation? 

I do not understand why you would think the members here would laugh at you for taking necessary steps to rebuild your credit. Most of the members here have had their own credit difficulties and will be happy to help. I am not familiar with that card, so I can not answer your questions on that one. Most here are fairly non-judgemental and would like to see you reach your credit goals.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 18 of 43
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I bit the bullet and applied for a BoA Secured card because of all the good qualities I've heard about it, i.e: early graduation, potential rewards, generous credit line increases, etc. As much as I don't like the $39 annual fee and the 20% interest rate and higher fees compared to what my credit union would offer, this seems like it'll be a good card for me to build my credit. Current (real) EX sits at 608. I put down a $300 security deposit. 

1. How long does it take to actually receive the card? I applied for it after 5 p.m last night, and my application was still "pending."  I called today to see if my application was  approved or not, but the rep said I gave them the wrong account number, so I fixed that immediately and she said I will be approved. I asked about the rewards and she said to call back after I get the card. 

2. Speaking of rewards, how do I go about getting the rewards attached? Might as well get the most out of the $39 annual fee with the 3-2-1 rewards. 

4. How long does it actually take to graduate? This is the full secured, not the partial secured. 

I do not understand why you would think the members here would laugh at you for taking necessary steps to rebuild your credit. Most of the members here have had their own credit difficulties and will be happy to help. I am not familiar with that card, so I can not answer your questions on that one. Most here are fairly non-judgemental and would like to see you reach your credit goals.

Because OP recently started a thread trashing BofA as a bank and a separate thread questioning the value of their secured card. OP has applied for a card they trashed, essentially selling their soul to the credit and banking devil they portrayed BofA to be. No one here would laugh at someone trying to build themselves up. It's all good, OP has seen the light, that's what this forum is for. 

Message 19 of 43
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@creditguy wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Because OP recently started a thread trashing BofA as a bank and a separate thread questioning the value of their secured card. OP has applied for a card they trashed, essentially selling their soul to the credit and banking devil they portrayed BofA to be. No one here would laugh at someone trying to build themselves up. It's all good, OP has seen the light, that's what this forum is for. 

That explains it...so now it is OK to laugh!!!!

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 20 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.