cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA fully secured, could I still be turned down?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BoA fully secured, could I still be turned down?

I recently applied for bank of america visa plat cc hoping to be counter offered with 99/500. I was countered the fully secured card. I recieved  the "acceptance" certificate for the fully secured with the denial letter from bofa visa plat. If I send my check for the fully secured could I still be denied and will it cost me another hard pull?

Has anyone ever been denied the bofa fully secured card after recieving an acceptance letter and sending the deposit check? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

Re: BoA fully secured, could I still be turned down?

Reapply for another B of A credit card without accepting the fully secured offer and they will probably counter with the 99/500. 
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

anyone else?
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they offered you the fully secured, chances are good you will get it. I wouldn't apply for another reg card in hopes of being offered the partially secured again. 

It is certainly worth getting. I had mine with 2k on deposit and was unsecured at 9 month mark and increased to 5k and world points added.

You WILL incur another hard inquiry. Just so you know.
Message 4 of 18
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Take the secured card and in 9-12 months they make it unsecure. BOA is being very tough lately. I could get two citi cards with over $15K CL each and all BOA offers me is fully secured card. But my 99/500 card graduated couple of months and became regular. Take the secured card.
Message 5 of 18
App_Addict
Valued Contributor

I too would take the secured card.  In a lot of ways it is better than the 99/500 because you can set a higher limit and it seems by some of the other post that I have read you have a better shot at a higher cli when they do convert. 
CURRENT SCORES: TU: 698 21 Apps / EX: 644 28 Apps / AAoA: 4.4 Yrs. / Util. 5% / Goal: 750 by 12/22

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same with me.  All BOA offers me is their secured card.  It is a good card though based on what I have read here.
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

robertkinder wrote:
I too would take the secured card.  In a lot of ways it is better than the 99/500 because you can set a higher limit and it seems by some of the other post that I have read you have a better shot at a higher cli when they do convert. 

I totally agree. And, this is coming from someone who had the 99/500 card.
I would SO NOT reapply. Why waste a hard inquiry when they already told you what you were eligible for? Take the secured and deposit as much as you can to give yourself the best potential for CLI when it graduates!
Message 8 of 18
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

You can *possibly* still be declined for the secured card from BOA. I've read of it happening once before. I remember thinking it didn't make much sense to me since it is basically a completely risk free CC on their part.

However, you will more than likely get it if they countered with it.
Here we go again...
Message 9 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

they can decline, but only if you have any deliquency's within the last YEAR. I was successfully able to get a recon on a declined secured card. I would for sure take it and apply, pretty sure it is another hard, but on a different report.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.