Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Adding Chip+PIN Support

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: BofA Adding Chip+PIN Support

@Anonymous wrote:

True Chip And PIN cards with PIN priority aren’t being issued in the US by our banks because they fear that consumers will forget their PINs and therefore not use the credit card.

A couple of weekends ago the DW and I were doing a good bit of shopping for apparel. I had decided to use my BHO Diner's card since doesn't really get much usage. First shop, no problem no pin required, second shop where I was buying 3 new business suits, PIN required.... I had to search through my wallet for the "cheat sheet" for the DC card, inputted number - wrong, double checked punched in 4 digit number wrong. Fortunately there was no line and I buy all my suits from this store so they know me nor was it really embarrassing and it cetainly was not in any way a credit issue.

Needless to say I took the Diner's Club Card out of my carry wallet with a mental note not use the BHO DC as a general spend card - I should note that "required PIN" has never happened online. Although this is a comfortable $20k CL card, I don't use it enough to justify the AF so come the renewal date, I'll probably cancel this card - the required PIN when I'm standing there with the card, ID, finderprints, DNA, etc. is just a royal pain in the ***.  

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I wish Chase would start using PIN.

The banking system in the U.S as a whole is backwards. 

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous  True Chip And PIN cards with PIN priority aren’t being issued in the US by our banks because they fear that consumers will forget their PINs and therefore not use the credit card.

Thanks. Makes sense. (Happens to me at Target occasionally.) 

Target will no longer be requiring a signature for transactions ran over the card networks. 

Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous  True Chip And PIN cards with PIN priority aren’t being issued in the US by our banks because they fear that consumers will forget their PINs and therefore not use the credit card.

Target will no longer be requiring a signature for transactions ran over the card networks. 

I was talking about the Target Red Card Visa. As far as I know, you have to use a pin, at least at Target. Maybe that's changin too? But I'd think not. 

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I was talking about the Target Red Card Visa. As far as I know, you have to use a pin, at least at Target. Maybe that's changin too? But I'd think not. 

The Red Card Visa might change too, as I believe Visa followed MasterCard's lead, although it's technically still up to the merchant as to whether or not a signature is required, and with Target's history, they may opt to keep forcing signature or PIN to play the psychology game with customers. 

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Having just come back from a trip to Canada and with the probability I'll be heading back there this summer, help me out. 

I have an Arrival+ which has been in my SD, but if I were to use that in Canada, would it work 'like theirs do'? And is Irish saying that even though B of A has a pin (when I saw this thread I went and added a pin to my B of A Alaska card and confirmed it has no FTF) it would NOT work like theirs? 

I agree, I wish Chase would do whatever is most accepted since MR's are my current target, but if it was less awkward, I'd use one of these others next trip. 

Thanks. 

It would work but there is a difference between cards like the Arrival+ and the 3 that I mentioned.  Those three are chip cards with PIN priority which means that the card issuers have set the card up to require that the PIN be inputted to work.  For example, to use my Diners Club Elite (no longer issued) at a gas station or grocery store I must input the PIN for the transaction to be approved.  Cards like the Arrival+ and others are chip with signature priority and PIN secondary.  So unless the merchant requires a PIN be inputted which is the case in a lot of other countries, then it will default to only a signature (even that is now changing with Discover, Amex, VISA and MasterCard no longer requiring signatures).  Obviously that is less secure than bring required to use a PIN.  True Chip And PIN cards with PIN priority aren’t being issued in the US by our banks because they fear that consumers will forget their PINs and therefore not use the credit card.

Add to your three the State Department Federal Credit Union!

Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops ... the Red Card is a MC now, not a Visa. I think the same time they switched from V to MC was the same time they implemented the pin.

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Oops ... the Red Card is a MC now, not a Visa. I think the same time they switched from V to MC was the same time they implemented the pin.

So you enter a Pin to go with the Target Red Card Chip using their MasterCard! Interesting.

Message 18 of 27
arkane
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Having just come back from a trip to Canada and with the probability I'll be heading back there this summer, help me out. 

I have an Arrival+ which has been in my SD, but if I were to use that in Canada, would it work 'like theirs do'? And is Irish saying that even though B of A has a pin (when I saw this thread I went and added a pin to my B of A Alaska card and confirmed it has no FTF) it would NOT work like theirs? 

I agree, I wish Chase would do whatever is most accepted since MR's are my current target, but if it was less awkward, I'd use one of these others next trip. 

Thanks. 

It would work but there is a difference between cards like the Arrival+ and the 3 that I mentioned.  Those three are chip cards with PIN priority which means that the card issuers have set the card up to require that the PIN be inputted to work.  For example, to use my Diners Club Elite (no longer issued) at a gas station or grocery store I must input the PIN for the transaction to be approved.  Cards like the Arrival+ and others are chip with signature priority and PIN secondary.  So unless the merchant requires a PIN be inputted which is the case in a lot of other countries, then it will default to only a signature (even that is now changing with Discover, Amex, VISA and MasterCard no longer requiring signatures).  Obviously that is less secure than bring required to use a PIN.  True Chip And PIN cards with PIN priority aren’t being issued in the US by our banks because they fear that consumers will forget their PINs and therefore not use the credit card.

Funny how this was never an issue with debit cards. Smiley Indifferent

Since I'm from Canada and we've had chip+PIN since 2008 or something, it actually felt very unnatural and took me a while to get adjusted to swiping and signing when I first moved here. I'd love to see at least one big bank get on board the chip+PIN train but I fear the backlash just might be a bit too vicious.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 19 of 27
NRB525
Super Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

True Chip And PIN cards with PIN priority aren’t being issued in the US by our banks because they fear that consumers will forget their PINs and therefore not use the credit card.

A couple of weekends ago the DW and I were doing a good bit of shopping for apparel. I had decided to use my BHO Diner's card since doesn't really get much usage. First shop, no problem no pin required, second shop where I was buying 3 new business suits, PIN required.... I had to search through my wallet for the "cheat sheet" for the DC card, inputted number - wrong, double checked punched in 4 digit number wrong. Fortunately there was no line and I buy all my suits from this store so they know me nor was it really embarrassing and it cetainly was not in any way a credit issue.

Needless to say I took the Diner's Club Card out of my carry wallet with a mental note not use the BHO DC as a general spend card - I should note that "required PIN" has never happened online. Although this is a comfortable $20k CL card, I don't use it enough to justify the AF so come the renewal date, I'll probably cancel this card - the required PIN when I'm standing there with the card, ID, finderprints, DNA, etc. is just a royal pain in the ***.  

My Diners Club card is always in my wallet. Other cards come and go, DC always there. I have gone through phases where I look for places to test my Diners Club card PIN and am quite smug when it does need the PIN. It also worked as tap-and-pay in the Netherlands in some places. It works to get me into some airport lounges. I keep it active and use it regularly because it is so unique and irreplaceable. $95 per year is a bargain for the entertainment it provides.

But that's just me Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.