cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Bankamericard disappointment. No way to PC it.

tag
NaaryalHead
Regular Contributor

BofA Bankamericard disappointment. No way to PC it.

UPDATE 3: Card finally shows as BofA Cash Rewards Platinum Plus in the android mobile app about 17 days after initial request for Product Change (PC).

UPDATE 2: About 11-13 days after requesing PC to Cash Rewards; I got a letter saying they're going to add the BankAmericards Cash Reards 'program' to my account (same number I support as number is mentioned in line above). Letter says card should arrive in 3-4 weeks. Ah the glorious 21 century fast track processing and printing. Takes 30 days for a plastic card to print and a field or two to update in a database file somewhere 😂

UPDATE: So my secured bankAmericard was called BankAmericard Platinum Plus after graduation.  I learned on 2nd call to bofa support is that you shouldn't take one CSR's word for it. First CSR denied having any PC option for this card. 2nd CSR checked and told me yes my account was eligible for PC and they've now created a case for me and quoted 2-4 weeks I should get the PC'ed card. I think I asked for Cash Rewards.

Original message: I was hoping BofA would let me PC it to cash rewards or any other card. Just like citi let me PC to a double cash card but i was told by BofA support pc isn't possible and was something possible about 2 years ago only.

Since this card is unsecured now but not really worth much use, guess i'll put it into the SD.

Id love to use it but hard to see why when my other cards give a 2 to 5% cash back.

The only thing I appreciate is this is my highest CL card right now.

5k+ CLs: Chase Amazon, Cap1 QS1,
10k+ CLs: BofA Cash Rewards, Amex Cash Magnet, Citi DC, Barclays Uber, Citi Premier, Chase Saphire Preff,Cap1 Savor1

Torch bearer of the Bucketeers' Society. Shamefully carrying a bucketed Cap One QS1 with AF & zero chance of a PC.
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: BofA Bankamericard disappointment. No way to PC it.

Was this a Platinum product with an AF when you got approved?
Message 2 of 28
NaaryalHead
Regular Contributor

It said Bankamericard from day 1 but i have a feeling it had an annual fee of some sort. Which I'm not able to find info about anymore. So i guess annual fee is removed?

10k+ CLs: BofA Cash Rewards, Amex Cash Magnet, Citi DC, Barclays Uber, Citi Premier, Chase Saphire Preff,Cap1 Savor1

Torch bearer of the Bucketeers' Society. Shamefully carrying a bucketed Cap One QS1 with AF & zero chance of a PC.
Message 3 of 28
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Try the HUCA (Hang Up, Call Again) method. Many BoA CSRs do not know how to process a product change, so perhaps that is the issue?

Message 4 of 28
NaaryalHead
Regular Contributor

Thank you. I'll try there. However I just checked my BofA statements and letters area. There's a notice about annual fee of 39.

I guess this is something they don't want to drop and won't pc me to a no annual free card. Which sucks though. The CSR as well as BofA page for Bankamericard mention zero annual fee as a feature. Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call again and get another CSR.  I product changed my vanilla Platinum BankAmericard to a Cash Rewards back in March.

Message 6 of 28
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As others have mentioned, try calling again and see if yields anything favorable with the PC. If anything, instead of a PC to the standard Cash Rewards CC switch it to another affinity product, such as the WWF Cash Rewards or the Susan G Komen Cash Rewards, for instance. The product codes are different for each yet the parent relationship is still part of the Cash Rewards family.

My guess is that because your CC may have started as an AF secured card, it likely may have been a bucketed or restricted product.
Message 7 of 28
NaaryalHead
Regular Contributor

Thank you. I called again today. Oddly the CSR said i was eligible for a PC. He wasnt so optimistic about the annual fee but i did take up the pc offer. Which i was told will take 2-4 weeks. And shouldn't result in an inquiry or hard pull.

I'm not happy with the annual fee but its one of my oldest cards so i guess i'll keep it around until i have couple years of credit hisotory and aaoe.

Message 8 of 28
creditfan
Established Contributor

a closed CC will stay on credit report for 10 years. Is that what concern you

Message 9 of 28
NaaryalHead
Regular Contributor

I'm concerned about losing average age of account as this card is one of my oldest.

Are you saying closed accounts are still used when calculating average age of account and oldest account?

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.