BofA Cash Rewards 3% options

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: BofA Cash Rewards 3% options

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Current lineup of BoA credit cards feel a bit lackluster for sure. Products named 'cash rewards', 'travel rewards', and 'premium rewards', but in reality all just cash back cards with 3-2-1 categories, a flat 1.5%, and a 2% meh travel/dining with some minor perks. It'd be nice to see them get some transfer partners or get a travel portal with elevated redemption rate similar to Chase. For being such a large bank, it seems weird that they're so reluctant to get into the game.

No longer a customer so I'm not sure how much they push the Preferred stuff, but to me that makes sense as a strategy:  ho-hum cards that really transform into some best of class with $100K in an IRA.   Why "give away" rewards for free when you attract money to your core business!

They don't beat the drums hard and they aren't in your face about it but they do provide (mostly) subtle reminders about the program and what they consider as benefits.     

You can also qualify via IRAs through Merrill Lynch, including those invested in non-ML funds that you are holding through an ML account.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 11 of 31
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Very interesting!  Sounds like BoA may be trying to start competing to a certain extent with the Wells Fargo Propel card possibly, with the new 3% category options? I already have my FNBO Travelite and Propel cards for 3% on travel, so I just may choose the 3% online shopping category for the BoA Cash Rewards card once the new 3% categories go live...

ETA:  in any event, in mho, the new 3% categories make an already-good rewards card even better!  Smiley Happy  My BoA Cash Rewards card will very likely be seeing a lot of new spending from me, once the new 3% options go into effect...

Message 12 of 31
NRB525
Super Contributor

Interesting.
I wonder what the category “Online Shopping” includes.
This works as a minor supplement to Cash+ in certain situations.

It will be a good way to keep one of my oldest accounts active. Gas still a possible option.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA new Rewards begining week of Jan 14 2019 !!!!

Your bank of America cash rewards card is getting more rewarding

New Rewards BofA

3% gas , online shopping  , dining  , travels , drugs store and home improvement

2% cash back at grocery and wholesale clubs

1% unlimited cash back on all other purchase

Message 14 of 31
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: BofA new Rewards begining week of Jan 14 2019 !!!!

LEO🍷🍸😁
Message 15 of 31
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
LEO🍷🍸😁

NO LEO! 

Message 16 of 31
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Here's the NerdWallet article:

Bank of America Will Launch Cash-Back Card With Choices

The article says that there are six cashback categories. Customers can choose one to be 3%; the rest will be 2%. Customers can choose their category up to once a month. If the category isn't changed, it'll remain the same as the previous month.

Message 17 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America Cash Rewards 3%

BOA is coming adding to its rewards category starting Jan 14 2019. You can select one of several categories each MONTH depending on your purchase plan each month.

here is the email i just got

<Mod note:  Pic has been removed; you're welcome to replace the image once you edit to redact your personal info.  --UB>

Message 18 of 31
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Bank of America Cash Rewards 3%

Message 19 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap?
Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.