Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Cash Rewards vs BBR (Success!!!)

tag
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: BofA Cash Rewards vs BBR

I have the BBR, and lately they frequently offer me either a $200 signup bonus for the cash rewards card, or 20,000 bonus points for the travel rewards card. So it might make sense to get the BBR now, and wait for a good targeted offer on the other two later.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 11 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thelethargicage wrote:

I'm thinking of apping for one of these cards, but I can't decide which one.

The CR is an easy $100 via signup bonus, but the low reward rates are very unappealing.

The BBR, on the other hand, is an $120 every year and doesn't even need to be in my wallet. I could just put my gym membership on it ($32/month) and pay it off after statement closes. My only concerns are 1) how does BofA calculate minimum payment? and 2) what's the likelihood of this card getting nerfed in the near future?

Thoughts/suggestions?

According to their program rules, "A monthly payment received on or before the Due Date, which is more than the Minimum Payment due; a payment in full received on or before the Due Date is a Qualifying Payment"...so I would say you can just set your autopay to the statement balance and you should be fine.  As a result, I think your first question is less important Smiley Happy

For ease of use I think the BBR probably suits you better, unless you happen to be a Platinum Honors tier BoA customer ($100,000+ in BoA/ML accounts).  In that case, the Cash Rewards card effectively becomes 1.75%/3.5%/5.25% for general/groceries/gas, which would make it an ever-so-slightly better gas card than SM.

Message 12 of 71
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

I have the application all filled out and am ready to pull the trigger. However, I'm wondering if my profile will support this card...

Recent FICOs:

TU - 802 (Discover, Barclays)

EX - 790 (Amex)

AAoA: Between 5 years 10 months and 6 years (depending on the bureau; I have some accounts that didn't report to EX and TU)

Utilization: $20/$160,500 (.0125%)

Most recent CCs:

Double Cash (opened on 4/5/2015)

Fidelity Amex (opened on 12/27/2014)

Car Loan (6/24/2015)

Car Loan Refi (8/26)

DTI: 20%

Income: $88,800

Should I wait till my Fidelity Amex hits the 1-year mark?

Message 13 of 71
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

I have the BBR, and lately they frequently offer me either a $200 signup bonus for the cash rewards card, or 20,000 bonus points for the travel rewards card. So it might make sense to get the BBR now, and wait for a good targeted offer on the other two later.

Do you bank with BofA? Or do you just keep an account for the bonus? Do you use the BBR for purchases or just put a single charge on it every month?

Message 14 of 71
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

**Ben Stein's voice**

Anyone? Anyone?

Message 15 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you kidding? Look at my scores! I got approved for TWO BBR cards. Just go for it already! Smiley Tongue
Message 16 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thelethargicage wrote:

I have the application all filled out and am ready to pull the trigger. However, I'm wondering if my profile will support this card...

Recent FICOs:

TU - 802 (Discover, Barclays)

EX - 790 (Amex)

AAoA: Between 5 years 10 months and 6 years (depending on the bureau; I have some accounts that didn't report to EX and TU)

Utilization: $20/$160,500 (.0125%)

Most recent CCs:

Double Cash (opened on 4/5/2015)

Fidelity Amex (opened on 12/27/2014)

Car Loan (6/24/2015)

Car Loan Refi (8/26)

DTI: 20%

Income: $88,800

Should I wait till my Fidelity Amex hits the 1-year mark?

I'm not sure if this necessarily answers your question, but BBR was the last of 3 cards I applied for on the same day about a month after applying for 2 other cards.  Only the first 4 cards in my sig were reporting at the time with SM being my highest reported balance at either $8k or $10k.  After filling out the app the next page asked me one question about how long I'd been employed...about 10 seconds later approved for $7500.  My AAoA is <2 years but it didn't seem like it was a problem.  EX had would have had 4 HP if they could see the other 2 apps earlier that night.

Message 17 of 71
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

I apped and...I got an instant denial!

Message 18 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whaaaaat? That makes no sense with your profile. Recon that post haste!

Message 19 of 71
axlm
Regular Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:

I apped and...I got an instant denial!

Wow, sorry to hear! Maybe they don't like high scores for that card? Smiley Indifferent

Last update: NOV 2022

Message 20 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.