Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA: Credit card for paying ebills?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

BofA: Credit card for paying ebills?

I'm facing a dilemma after a move and new utilities.

1. I can load my CFU info onto utility websites (SoCalGas, SoCal Edison, city water, Spectrum cable, Athens trash), pay the modest fees to pay by CC, and monitor the bills online at each website. Somewhat rewarding, but a bit more time-consuming.

2. I can push payments from Schwab checking. No fees, but no rewards.

I've considered moving to BofA and getting a checking account,  $100k+ brokerage account, and Premium Rewards card (2.62% or 2.625%).

If I did that, could I pay utility ebills from the BofA bill pay service and put them on a BofA credit card? Perhaps I could overpay the nominal bill amount by the amount of the fee they would charge for a CC? I'm not trying to get around the fee, but I don't know if ebills are only available for customers paying by check.

I have not yet tried to pay several months in advance. I suppose I could sign up for ebills and then make manual CC payments on the biller website, but there is room for error in failing to mark, or falsely marking, an ebill as "paid of biller website".

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BofA: Credit card for paying ebills?

The "pay from" seems to only include checking or money market account.

Message 2 of 6
digitek
Established Contributor

I use CC to pay my utilities.  Gas/Electric charges a very small fee (flat $2.50?), I pay quarterly.  Water/Sanitation I can setup auto-pay for CC on due date and they don't charge a fee.  Cell phone can auto-pay from CC on due date no fee.  Internet can pay with CC for no fee, but no autopay, I pay this one quarterly.  Netflix/Hulu/Google Play Music all can auto-pay from CC on due date no fee.

US Bank Cash+ with Utilities/Streaming can take care of all that for you, except for the cell phone, which not sure of your phone situation you might want to put on a card with cell phone insurance.  If your utilities are anything like mine, this should net you $100+ annually over any other card.  Not sure of current SUB, but US Bank is solid and Cash+ is useful.

Message 3 of 6
creditfan
Established Contributor

definately utilites should look for US bank cash+

Message 4 of 6
imaximous
Valued Contributor

You can't use a credit card as a "Pay From" source.
Message 5 of 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Thanks. Maybe I'll do pulled payments and autopay for a few months and test them out. If it's too messy I can move a few to push payments through Schwab.

Clearly not any easier with BofA checking vs. Schwab.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.