Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Phishing e-mail

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA Phishing e-mail

I received an e-mail from "Bank of America Alert" onlinebanking@online.bankofamerica.com

Subject:  *IMPORTANT* Customer Service Message

We are contacting you to remind you that our Account Review Team identified some unusual activity in your account, we had to believe that, their might be some security problem on your account. So we have decided to put an extra verification process to ensure your identity and your account security. Please click on continue to the verification process and ensure your account security. It is all about your security. Thank you . (sic)

Lovely grammar.

When I clicked to open it (middle of the night - brain dead), I received this warning:

"This is a reported Phishing website. 

Microsoft Phishing Filter has determined that this is a reported phishing website.  Phishing websites impersonate other sites and attempt to trick you into revealing personal or financial information."

Hey.  I didn't even know I had a Phishing Filter!  Glad it wasn't brain dead in the middle of the night.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: BofA Phishing e-mail

Microsoft Phishing Filter started coming with Internet Explorer with version 7. It is optional but turned "on" by default. IE7 asked you when it was first installed if you want it "on" or "off", defaulting to "on". The disadvantage of leaving it on is that on every new url, it must contact the MS server with the list of addresses to see if you are going to somewhere you shouldn't. This slows down the initial connection to each new site.

Of course it is better to leave it on if you are going to click on links in emails............

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's good to know - I have not seen the Phishing Filter at work before and am glad it's working on our family computer.

I have signed up for and receive several Bank of America e-mail alerts and find them very useful.  They always have a link to click that directs you to their site.  But I thought a heads-up about this phishing attempt would be helpful.

Message 3 of 8
voidman
Established Contributor

you need a good spam filter too.
-void
Message 4 of 8
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Be very careful clicking on links in emails. Very careful!

Phishing is everywhere, all the time. Suspect all emails.

Message 5 of 8
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I received an e-mail from "Bank of America Alert" onlinebanking@online.bankofamerica.com

Did this email address you by name? Or did it say something like "Dear B of A Customer"?

That is often a key. B of A would know your name, and they would address you by name.

Message 6 of 8
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

I get these sort of phishing emails from people claiming to be B of A all the time.  Some of them look very real, with correct grammar (rarely) and images.  But when you when you roll over one of the links on the page, it directs you to the phishing site.

For example, I could pretend to represent one website, but direct you to another:

http://www.google.com

There's several "phishing" quizzes out there, some of which are very good.  I like to take them periodically to keep myself sharp.  You can find them by using the link above. Smiley Wink 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've actually gotten a phone call from someone claiming to be from B of A also -- likely  some type of person trying to get my personal info
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.