Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Rewards Amex not real Amex???

tag
tonsers
Frequent Contributor

BofA Rewards Amex not real Amex???

I just received my new BofA Rewards Amex in the mail. I was doing some reading here - trying to learn how to avoid the dreaded Amex F/R.

I just stumbled across an old post about this card. Something like it is not a real Amex - it just uses their network at the point of sale. Can someone confirm this?

Does this mean that I won't need to worry about the F/R? I sometimes make large purchases on my BofA Visa and pay off in about 3-4 months - I was worried that a similar transaction on my BofA Amex would trigger a review....

Thanks! Smiley Happy
tonsers
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
bb1000
New Contributor

Re: BofA Rewards Amex not real Amex???

Right. BOA issues the card. They report on your CR's. Amex, except when issued by Amex itself, is just like a Visa issued by BOA. I think what confuses people is the fact that Visa or MC don't issue cards directly like Amex does. BOA, Citi, USAA, and HSC all issue cards that use the Amex network now, but all of them retain ownership of the account.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will not get an F/R on your BofA Amex.  RJ, maybe, but not F/R. Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 8
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I'm thinking about changing my Platinum Plus Visa to this card when it comes in the mail, but, I don't see any reason to as I currently have Amex Blue, Clear, Green, and the Citi Dividend Amex.

Does this card offer anything the Platinum Plus Visa does not?
Here we go again...
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

FretlessMayhem wrote:
I'm thinking about changing my Platinum Plus Visa to this card when it comes in the mail, but, I don't see any reason to as I currently have Amex Blue, Clear, Green, and the Citi Dividend Amex.

Does this card offer anything the Platinum Plus Visa does not?

Yep.  Retail purchase protection and extended warranty.

Amex will extend the manufacturer's warranty for one year on most things you buy with this card.

Message 5 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Agree with the previous posters.

As I always say, my USAA AmEx is accepted everywhere that "real" AmEx is accepted, and rejected everywhere that AmEx is rejected. I have the usual AmEx buyer protections. I don't have the American Express rewards --my rewards are the USAA ones, plus the knowledge that I don't have to deal with American Express eccentricity. Smiley Happy

So this is true of any co-branded AmEx, and also of Discover co-branded cards from Sams, HSBC, etc., btw.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 8
tonsers
Frequent Contributor

Wow, thank all for the info! I was having "applier's remorse" after getting this AmEx - worried about if my habits would trigger a review. This is really great news for me, I love BofA! Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fretless,

If you don't mind me asking, why do you have so many AmEx cards?  Do you like them that much?  I would be afraid I'd be stting myself up for a FR which would prompt me to give them all back!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.