Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Secured Card Graduation

tag
arsenal04
New Contributor

BofA Secured Card Graduation

Does anyone know what the time frame is for BofA to review a secured account for graduation to a unsecured card?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: BofA Secured Card Graduation

@arsenal04 wrote:

Does anyone know what the time frame is for BofA to review a secured account for graduation to a unsecured card?

If I had to take a guess, I would say after your 12th statement. BOA likes to see a full year of history on the secured cards before a review and they decide to unsecure.

Message 2 of 17
arsenal04
New Contributor

I have heard that you have one shot at graduating a BofA secured card.  If they review it and don't graduate it, you are stuck with it as a secured card.  Is there any truth to this or is it just internet folklore?

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CS800 wrote:

@arsenal04 wrote:

If I had to take a guess, I would say after your 12th statement. BOA likes to see a full year of history on the secured cards before a review and they decide to unsecure.

IIRC, I've read it can take 9-12 months. I'm sure someone will chime in with a definitive answer for you. It could also be a YMMV situation???

Message 4 of 17
CS800
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

@arsenal04 wrote:

IIRC, I've read it can take 9-12 months. I'm sure someone will chime in with a definitive answer for you. It could also be a YMMV situation???

See we all get confusing info from BOA Smiley Happy

I recently got a call from BOA (yes they called me to offer me a secured card). I asked how long would it take to unsecure,  the 'credit analyst' adamantly said a full year. But as Mustang said I think it's more like YMMV if for example your FICO score shot up by 200 Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 17
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

**cues the graduation theme music**

da na na-na-na naaaaaa naaaaa.....

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 6 of 17
arsenal04
New Contributor

I would hope they would graduate if my score shot up 200 points.  They should be on the floor kissing my feet that that point.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@arsenal04 wrote:

I would hope they would graduate if my score shot up 200 points.  They should be on the floor kissing my feet that that point.

I have two Crap1 Cards I apped and was approved for early last year, my FICO was around 610 at that time, and my scores have gone up just under 200 points and they will NOT give me anything, not one red cent, BoA is a different type of lender, so my example is just that, an example.

I Wish you the Very Best of Luck!!

Message 8 of 17
CS800
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@arsenal04 wrote:

I have two Crap1 Cards I apped and was approved for early last year, my FICO was around 610 at that time, and my scores have gone up just under 200 points and they will NOT give me anything, not one red cent, BoA is a different type of lender, so my example is just that, an example.

Mustang are you going to cancel the Cap Ones? I have two and I will cancel one In January since it has a $500 and an AF of $60.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CS800 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@arsenal04 wrote:

Mustang are you going to cancel the Cap Ones? I have two and I will cancel one In January since it has a $500 and an AF of $60.

Yes I will just before the 39AF hits next year, I went ahead and paid the AF on both of them this year (against my better judgement) I figured I'd give Cap1 one more year to show me some luv, and if they do not show me some before the AF hits next year I will be closing both cards.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.