Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Travel Rewards Card...after "defaulting"

tag
alvlee01

BofA Travel Rewards Card...after "defaulting"

Here's a somewhat confusing question: 

Currently I have two Barclay Credit Cards, 1) Apple with $3,300 limit, and 2) $4000 for travel rewards

I also have a US Bank REI Visa with $1,000

And a Cap1 Sony Preferred $750 limit (hasn't increased in the three years I had it)

To keep it simple, I had a BofA Platinum-whatever-it-was-called-back-then Card with a limit of over $7,500 in good standing but high balance of $4,000. I paid it off, and then closed the account. A year later I received calls from several collection agencies stating I had defaulted on a credit of over $18,000! 

Long story short, found out an ex-roommate of mine apparently stole my identity and racked up a large bill and stuck it to me, but I, unfortunately could not prove otherwise since we technically had the same address. Fortunately,  I have a lawyer friend who assisted me in challenging the claim and after a year of fighting, BofA and the collection agency relented and stated the debt was not valid. 

Now, on to my question...I like the BofA travel rewards perks, but how difficult is it to get a card from a bank who thinks you burned them once before? I know with auto financing, if you burn them, you will never get a loan from them again (I work in automotive retail marketing), so I'm wondering if its the same thing.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: BofA Travel Rewards Card...after "defaulting"

If the debt was invalidated due to identity theft, you shouldn't have a problem. If it comes up firing your app -if you have to recon- just have your paperwork ready.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.