cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA card recently unsecured, failed to get AF removed thru chat.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA card recently unsecured, failed to get AF removed thru chat.

Anybody have any tips on how to get the AF removed? It's a Cash Rewards card that I PC'd to a couple months after opening but it still has the AF of the secured card ($39). The chat rep said this:

I see that your credit card is an annual fee based credit card.
Annual fee is an account service related fee, it will be assessed once in a year if the account is open regardless of the balance and/or has an outstanding balance on a closed account
The account is an annual fee based account.  It is the maintenance fee. If an annual fee based account is closed and it has a balance there would be an annual fee assessed on it. We are unable to remove this fee from your account.

I've had the card for 9 months. I've heard of people getting the AF removed before, is there an EO I can email or something? This is my first card and I'd hate to get rid of it but my new cards have no AF and better rewards so it's kinda hard justifying paying $39 a year for this.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BofA card recently unsecured, failed to get AF removed thru chat.

I would definitely try to find a number for an analyst/EO.  You can google search for those numbers.  

If they consistently refuse to get rid of the AF, I would just cancel the card once you're done applying to other cards.  You got 9 months out of it, which is enough time to open up a card at another financial institution with solid cards (with no AFs if that's what you're into) like Chase or Citi.  Once approved at that institution, I would just cut out the BofA card (assuming you can't get the AF removed) and keep moving forward.

Message 2 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

I'm not familiar with BoA removing the annual fee but maybe this will help. Good Luck

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Backdoor-Numbers/m-p/408066

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys. I called the credit analyst and he submitted a request to have it removed and I'll hear from them by January 6th. Fingers crossed!

I've banked with BofA for years and am grateful for them giving me the 99/500 secured card to start my credit, but I really can't justify the AF for a card with the benefits it has when I have no AF Barclays/Chase/Discover/Amex cards in my wallet.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haven't heard from BofA yet but I just checked my Info & Services tab under my account and the AF has been removed! Thanks for the info guys, calling the credit analyst and requesting its removal did the trick Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7
Ragelog
Established Contributor

Congrats! This was my path to removal as well. It showed up 6 days later as $0 versus $39 it had been previously.

EQ04 675, EQ08 676, EX08 719, TU08 703 $12704.75/$123050 Revolving Credit (All 0% or 1.99%) - In Garden Since 5/25/2016

Last negative item should fall off in July 2017.
Message 6 of 7
wmweeza
Established Contributor

Advice? Nope, but in my case it took them 2 years to remove it (no, I did not request it)

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.