Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA to charge annual fees on rewards credit cards

tag
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

Re: BofA to charge annual fees on rewards credit cards

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd hazard a guess if they decide to roll out the fee's it'll likely tag 90% of their cardholders,  That maybe one reason they've been product changing people to their 'Signature' cards without asking these past fee months,

Perhaps another reason for the conversion is the higher interchange rates when a merchant accepts a Visa Signature or World Mastercard.

USAA initially offered me a choice online of accepting an invitation for conversion from a Platinum card to a World card. Then after awhile they decided to mail me an upgrade without my prior approval.
Message 21 of 34
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
I didn't misread the press release. I posted regarding Citi's "test program" earlier in this thread. It was announced by Citi, but since then you haven't heard a word about it. I just don't see AF programs gaining much traction unless the issuer imposing the fee is intentionally seeking to lose many of the accounts on which the fee is imposed. That may in fact be the purpose of the fee - to get cardholders to close their accounts without inflicting AA and incurring the wrath of Congress.

CWCID, I think we haven't heard about Citi's fees because no fees have yet been applied (at least not to my accounts).  But I saw the entry for it on both bills.

Back in June, I saw a line item on each of two Citi statements labeled annual fee (perhaps it was "membership fee" ).  Each showed the charge as "$0.00" for the period June 09 - May 10, meaning the next twelve months.  My understanding is that once the first 12 months rolls by, they'll assess the fee on my June statement in 2010 if I haven't run at least $2400 thru the card during the year, and they'll do this for each card.

I never said a word about it, since it was zero dollars.  Had it been an actual charge, I'd have screamed bloody murder.  But they've got their foot in the door, and provided notice to expect this charge in the future if card usage is low.

Message 22 of 34
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

LynetteM wrote: 

They are dealing with the silent majority...also known as sheep....

....Some people will take a stand. Most won't. That's what I think. (I'm a cynical little thing, aren't I?)

You're not cynical, LynetteM.  You're realistic. 

Most sheep won't take a stand because it upsets the other sheep.

Message 23 of 34
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

MojaveMoon wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd hazard a guess if they decide to roll out the fee's it'll likely tag 90% of their cardholders,  That maybe one reason they've been product changing people to their 'Signature' cards without asking these past fee months,

Perhaps another reason for the conversion is the higher interchange rates when a merchant accepts a Visa Signature or World Mastercard.

USAA initially offered me a choice online of accepting an invitation for conversion from a Platinum card to a World card. Then after awhile they decided to mail me an upgrade without my prior approval.

Fortunately, the USAA World MC reports properly. It offers more consumer protections than the Plat did (sort of in the AmEx vein.)

Are there higher merchant fees for Worlds and Sigs? I didn't realize that.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 24 of 34
GregB
Valued Contributor

In my experience as a merchant, I pay an extra fee for a rewards card. Some merchants have figured out a way to not pay the fee but this seems to mean the CC holder doesn't get the rewards. I no longer use my Discover to pay my health insurance since I didn't get 1% back. I now use my Worldpoints and they DO pay with the same merchant.

I suppose this could get very complicated and I certainly don't know all the details. One of these days I will do the research from the merchant end since I have zero interest in paying extra fees. I suppose some of the customers might notice that they didn't get rewards on purchases from my company but it isn't like they would choose to do business with someone else. Some vendors have lots of competitors and might feel very differently but lets face it, most consumers are clueless. There is a very small number looking at the details and many of those are using this site.

Message 25 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
I didn't misread the press release. I posted regarding Citi's "test program" earlier in this thread. It was announced by Citi, but since then you haven't heard a word about it. I just don't see AF programs gaining much traction unless the issuer imposing the fee is intentionally seeking to lose many of the accounts on which the fee is imposed. That may in fact be the purpose of the fee - to get cardholders to close their accounts without inflicting AA and incurring the wrath of Congress.

CWCID, I think we haven't heard about Citi's fees because no fees have yet been applied (at least not to my accounts).  But I saw the entry for it on both bills.

Back in June, I saw a line item on each of two Citi statements labeled annual fee (perhaps it was "membership fee" ).  Each showed the charge as "$0.00" for the period June 09 - May 10, meaning the next twelve months.  My understanding is that once the first 12 months rolls by, they'll assess the fee on my June statement in 2010 if I haven't run at least $2400 thru the card during the year, and they'll do this for each card.

I never said a word about it, since it was zero dollars.  Had it been an actual charge, I'd have screamed bloody murder.  But they've got their foot in the door, and provided notice to expect this charge in the future if card usage is low.

The $0.00 fee entry has been appearing on Citi statements (usually once a year) for a fairly long time, and started long before the annual fee test was announced. I suspect Citi did that to try to create the impression that they were giving cardholders a break by not charging a annual fee. Banks in general have been advertising "no annual fee" for a while to promote their credit cards, as if an annual fee was the rule rather than the exception.

Unless you received a specific notice from Citi, detailing the annual fee (which varied between $30 and $90), you are not part of the test group with the $2400 purchase requirement. The test group was only 500,000 cardholders, which is actually a very small percentage (less than 1%) of Citi customers. Also, the Citi test group's 12-month window for spending $2400 did not run from June 2009 to June 2010.

I personally think the Citi approach - charging a fee that can be negated if the cardholder reaches a spending target - will get much less opposition than the straight annual fee BOA is testing. If BOA does proceed with the fee on a more widespread basis, reaction will be mixed. Some cardholders will overlook the fee, or not be in a position to avoid it, but other cardholders will be angry when they get their announcement or later find the fee on their statement. In a climate where a lot of people are paying closer attention to their expenses, fees tacked on "for no reason" are going to get a very negative response. No doubt, other banks who do not charge an annual fee will make a big deal about their no-fee rewards cards and steal customers, many of whom will be good spending, low-risk customers. Unless all the major banks adopt annual fees, those who do risk losing customers to those who don't. Loss of interchange fees from those customers who switch will more than cancel out the potential annual fee income the bank was hoping for ...

Message Edited by Revike on 10-16-2009 06:44 AM
Message 26 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Revike wrote:

The $0.00 fee entry has been appearing on Citi statements (usually once a year) for a fairly long time, and started long before the annual fee test was announced. I suspect Citi did that to try to create the impression that they were giving cardholders a break by not charging a annual fee. Banks in general have been advertising "no annual fee" for a while to promote their credit cards, as if an annual fee was the rule rather than the exception.

One of our Citibank cards was issued in 1986. Back then, most banks charged AFs, & Citibank was no exception - we paid $20/year for our card. Then, in late 1989 or early 1990, AT&T blew the CC market wide open with its no-annual-fee Universal Visa card. Originally, only the first million or so applicants were supposed to get fee-free cards, but AT&T soon decided to make this a permanent feature of its card. AT&T became the 800-pound CC gorilla, & all of the big players rescinded their fees within a few months to hang onto their customers. (People hated AFs every bit as much 20 years ago as they do today.)

That $0.00 fee entry first appeared on our Citi card statements in 1991. It was Citi's way of announcing that they were throwing in the towel while reminding us of their (hah!) generosity.

Years later, as we all know, Citibank bought AT&T's CC operation.

Message 27 of 34
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Thanks to both Revike and JimB for the clarification of the Citi annual fee!

I haven't had these cards for two years yet, so this was the first time I had seen it on my statements.  The timing of it seemed to coincide with their annual fee announcement, but I did not get any official notice to that effect (only "notice" was the line item on the statement).  The "annual fee" part stuck in my head, but the "testing" part didn't...and, I just assumed... 

I appreciate the history lesson (and I'm probably the only one here who did not know that the ATT Universal Card was a Citi product!)

Message 28 of 34
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Are there higher merchant fees for Worlds and Sigs? I didn't realize that.

Visa Interchange Rate Sheets
http://www.usa.visa.com/download/merchants/Interchange_Rate_Sheets.pdf

and Mastercard also publicly publishes their interchange rates ... in this gargantuan 123 page pdf file. The World Mastercard rates are laid out starting on page 35

http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/pdf/MasterCard_Interchange_Rates_and_Criteria.pdf
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 10-16-2009 06:59 PM
Message 29 of 34
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Well, you know what, this would explain why the CSR's were pushing these so frantically, starting around 15 months ago or so.

We couldn't figure out why they were so determined on the phone --I figured that they were getting an extra commission when they got someone to agree to a Sig/ World card. Well hey, if the bank is getting extra money every time the card is swiped, that would explain the saliva flying from the CSR's mouths! Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.