Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bonvoy Platinum and a CC to close the gap

tag
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

Bonvoy Platinum and a CC to close the gap

Hey Folks

So I think Marriott rolled over some nights from last year because I just realized I will be 12 nights shy of Platinum status after my most recent week long stay posts. My understanding is that this needs to be done by EOY so I'm considering just snagging a card to get the 15 nights and put me over that edge. This is something that has been my goal for a while.

My 2 options are obviously the Brilliant and Boundless. I am, or should be, under 5/24 by now. I thought they were giving 5 free nights as a SUB but can't seem to find that any more. Additionally I thought there was verbiage that you could only get the SUB for one MB card in a years time or something like that?

Yes I know the Brilliant has the deal with Platnum status anyway so I'd essentially be wasting either the nights or that "free" status but wanted to get the community's opinions. I do believe I would use the MB perks and Plat status that would eventually be earned. I'm still traveling and have been. 

Thanks all! Happy Holiday seasons!

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bonvoy Platinum and a CC to close the gap

So one course I hadn't considered is Chase apparently still offers upgrades to the Ritz card from the Boundless. This is semi similar to the Brilliant, anyone have experience with Ritz card? Looks like the biggest difference is in the $300 credit, Ritz is for airline incidentals and Brilliant is at Marriott properties. 

CARDS:
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
Message 2 of 4
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Whatever your 2020 status was, you were awarded 50% of the qualifying nights needed to reobtain that status (i.e. as a Titanium I was awarded 38 nights this year for 2021 status) over the summer in addition to automatically having your status extended through the beginning of 2022.  Unfortunately, rollover nights have not been a thing for Marriott in a long time.  Choice Awards are only granted when one actually reaches 50 or 75 nights however, regardless of status being extended.

The 5x free nights (up to 250k value) offer has expired on the Chase Boundless.  Each card has its own SUB/Welcome Offer rules.  Read the terms and conditions for a clear and easy explanation of which cards disqualify you if you have them, have had them recently, or received a bonus on them in the past 24 months.

Ritz-Carlton is a great card and almost identical to Brilliant, except for the credit.   Any Chase Marriott card will need to be opened for at least a year prior to a PC to it due to The CARD Act.

If you are normally staying at Marriott at least a few nights a year anyway, Amex Bonvoy Brilliant more than pays for itself between the $300 credit and 50k certificate each renewal.

Message 3 of 4
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Whatever your 2020 status was, you were awarded 50% of the qualifying nights needed to reobtain that status (i.e. as a Titanium I was awarded 38 nights this year for 2021 status) over the summer in addition to automatically having your status extended through the beginning of 2022.  Unfortunately, rollover nights have not been a thing for Marriott in a long time.  Choice Awards are only granted when one actually reaches 50 or 75 nights however, regardless of status being extended.

The 5x free nights (up to 250k value) offer has expired on the Chase Boundless.  Each card has its own SUB/Welcome Offer rules.  Read the terms and conditions for a clear and easy explanation of which cards disqualify you if you have them, have had them recently, or received a bonus on them in the past 24 months.

Ritz-Carlton is a great card and almost identical to Brilliant, except for the credit.   Any Chase Marriott card will need to be opened for at least a year prior to a PC to it due to The CARD Act.

If you are normally staying at Marriott at least a few nights a year anyway, Amex Bonvoy Brilliant more than pays for itself between the $300 credit and 50k certificate each renewal.

Thanks, K.

That all makes sense. Leaning toward the Brilliant anyway. 

Thanks!

CARDS:

BANKS:
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.