Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

British Airways visa card thoughts?

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: British Airways visa card thoughts?

@JLRDC909 wrote:

One of my best friends have had this card for years. I think he only has this card, along with possibly one other and he's pulled this card out every time I see him, so I'm assuming it's his daily driver. 

the only downside is award tickets are charged a lot more than other airlines in taxes. That's about the only drawback I see with this card, but the SUB is amazing. 

I have read some posts that Chase was not as crazy with the 5/24 on this card. I've read others were approved over 5/24 but it's one of those YMMV situations with them. 

My understanding and based on other DPs elsewhere, including FT, TPG, etc., the 5/24 restriction still applies to BA, Aer Lingus and Iberia CCs, unless specific pre-approved offers can bypass the 5/24 restriction.

Message 11 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

Hmm maybe I should look into the United Quest card then? I have the United explorer card and I don't think the two SUBs share a lockout. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 12 of 17
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

Hmm maybe I should look into the United Quest card then? I have the United explorer card and I don't think the two SUBs share a lockout. 

Do you fly United enough that the mileage redemption rebate and statement credit for United charges make it a keeper card? Or are you just there for the fat bonus?

| Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi Custom Cash 11.9k | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 13 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Do you fly United enough that the mileage redemption rebate and statement credit for United charges make it a keeper card? Or are you just there for the fat bonus?

Not sure it really matters. I can use the miles and benefits rebate/statement credit in the first year on award redemptions

;
Message 14 of 17
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Not sure it really matters. I can use the miles and benefits rebate/statement credit in the first year on award redemptions

It matters because if you're not flying United much it hardly makes sense to keep TWO annual fee cards. You'd want to downgrade or cancel the Explorer, no?

| Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi Custom Cash 11.9k | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 15 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

It matters because if you're not flying United much it hardly makes sense to keep TWO annual fee cards. You'd want to downgrade or cancel the Explorer, no?

I can just PC the quest card to an explorer card which comes with united lounge passes or keep the explorer card and cancel the quest card after a year. 

;
Message 16 of 17
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

Right, so I assume that means you fly enough United that at least ONE Quest or Explorer card makes sense as a keeper card.

So, I guess... sure, spend that 5/24 slot?

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.