cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brothers credit journey of BRUTE FORCE (cont)UPDATE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Brothers credit journey of BRUTE FORCE (cont)

Does he ever call for a recon with the rejected ones? That would be an interesting phone call.

Here I thought adding 14 cards this year was bad!

Message 21 of 36
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Does he ever call for a recon with the rejected ones? That would be an interesting phone call.

Here I thought adding 14 cards this year was bad!

Yes, he calls Citi and AMEX all the time. He doesn't do it multiple times though like I would if I got rejected. He just calls once.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 22 of 36
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

He says his EX reached 680 recently. His scores are 650+ across the board though.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 23 of 36
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

WOW!  I had to read all the threads.  I can't see how he gets more?  And 1 AA?  So my theory on being responsible is the key to getting and keeping these cards.  I'm a little scared for him but impressed!  Not about the cards he's acquiring, but the stress from dealing with all the cards.  

high_five-2495.jpg

Quote from him is "brother, commenity & synchrony just throws money at me", and they do! why do these store card (with many mastercard versions) just throw money at people? it's a little crazy, who works for these guys' credit departaments?

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 24 of 36
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

@elim wrote:

I can't find any benefit in aggressively acquiring that many revolving accounts in such a short amount of time (any amount of time for that matter).  I'm sure he's looking very risky to lenders now.  If he would argue "utilization" then I'd remind him that paying 15% on even 1% of his total lines is pretty dumb.  Of course if he PIF's then he won't need many CC's anyway.

sounds like it's purely an addiction at this point and he may want to think about a hobby besides card collecting.

crazy...   thanks for sharing   :]

That's exactly what it is for him, a hobby.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 25 of 36
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like he might want to consider credit counseling and/or debtors anonymous.  It's obviously long past an addiction and has turned into an obsession.  I think the next soft pull that creditors like AMEX, Barclays and Chase make on his account won't be pretty.

Unfortunately it's an addition/obession with a mix of complete carelessness.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 26 of 36
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Your brother seriously needs to chill out and realize that these credit cards shouldn't consume his entire life. They're a payment mechanism and it's fine to be interested in them, but he's really pushing it too far with all of this. I hope he realizes it sooner or later.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 27 of 36
bobbay
Established Contributor

Re: Brothers credit journey of BRUTE FORCE (cont)UPDATE

@Kostya1992 wrote:

UPDATE: Brother got AA on his Barclays Apple card today. They called him and said that even though he pays statement in full and on time, over 100 inquiries is simply too much and closed his account. On another note, he raised his Lowes to 12k and Exon&Chevron to 4k each today.

If anyone doesn't remember my last post about my brothers "spree", here it is: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Brothers-crazy-credit-journey-PART-II/td-p/3815607

I no longer consider his journey to be a spree, it's more like brute force. He applies for about 20+ cards daily (including any prime cards, etc) and gets what he gets. He's very adamant about it and probably hasn't gone more than 3 days without applying for a few cards for the past 8 months or so.

Today he messaged me that he got in with a Chase British Airways VS $3500 limit & 15.99%APR and some type of a Discover card. He probably has over 100 inquiries (last 6 months) on each bureau and 60-70+ new accounts reporting in the last 6 months. His next goal is to get in with AMEX & Citi and his overall goal is to reach the $1,000,000 available credit mark, he is currently at around $200k-$250k.

I'm surprised myself, apparently applying once a day for every credit card ever works, haha.

Well,  I think it is safe to say your brothers data is a high risk of being compromised in a data breach since it is in virtually all of the credit databases...

This is what I worry the most about with lots of lines open.  It is one of the reasons I froze my CRA's.  It is a thought I often have that I have not read here or heard mentioned.

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 28 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm amazed that he still gets approved, while I can't even get freedom from chase. Maybe I ought to go massive app spree and apply every credit-cards that ever created on this earth.
Message 29 of 36
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm amazed that he still gets approved, while I can't even get freedom from chase. Maybe I ought to go massive app spree and apply every credit-cards that ever created on this earth.

What a few members do on this forums with fairly good results lol..

Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.