Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bucketed Capital One Quicksilver?

tag
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: Bucketed Capital One Quicksilver?

@Tinkiegrrl wrote:

Hello - New to the my FICO board and fairly new to credit in general. I'm here because I fear I have a bucketed Capital One card, and I was wondering what possible steps I could take to get it out of the bucket. I do have other, higher limit cards at this point, but if I travel abroad I'd want to use the Quicksilver for 1.5% cash back without a foreign transaction fee. That's difficult with a $400 limit.

Yes, Cap1 buckets cards, their denial reasons for CLI requests usually make no sense, and if your card is bucketed, you're more likely to get struck by lightning than ever get a CLI. Smiley Surprised

I have three Cap1 cards--a QS MC, a QS Visa, and a Walmart Rewards MC. The first two have been stuck at $4,000 and $4,500 CLs for *YEARS*, as in double-digit years, and the WM card has been stuck at $10,000 ever since Cap1 acquired it about two years ago. ALL requests for a CLI are immediately denied; the explanation letter that follows usually doesn't make much sense. I'm very familiar with the 'not enough spend on your existing limit' (or however they word that)--it seems to be one of their favorites! But I also get reasons that don't apply to me AT ALL; it's like they just pluck a few reasons at random and print them on the letter. Smiley Very Happy

My best advice, considering how tiny your limit is, plus my own experience, would be to forget all about this card. Either apply for a different Cap1 card (not my first choice), hoping for a higher limit, or try somewhere else. I was considering closing both of my Quicksilvers, until some very helpful posts made me reconsider. But if I had your limit? GOODBYE Cap1!!!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 11 of 24
Tinkiegrrl
Valued Member

@Anonymalous wrote:

@Tinkiegrrl wrote:

March 2021 - Opened the Quciksilver with a $300 limit. Got increase to $400 3 months in. Denied increase 6 months after that

I'm jealous of that limit, mine is still stuck at $300. And our paths are very similar. I'm also a late bloomer who started with an empty file, except I applied for my first card 2 months later, mine was originally a Platinum, I took a slower route (2nd card last month), and I was able to boost my scores with an AU Card. But when I applied for a CLI after 6 months, I was shot down because "Your Capital One account is too new". You got a CLI in half that time, so while it was just C1's trademark $100 bump, I think it's far too early to decide you're bucketed.

The cashback on the Quicksilver isn't as impressive as the flat 2% cards, but it's easy to redeem, they have a good app, I love the virtual cards, and the no foreign transaction fees makes it a good choice worldwide. I'd like to continue using it as an everything else card, but the constant monitoring and multiple pay offs a month needed to stay under that limit just isn't worth the effort, now that I have a card with a limit more than 27 times higher. So it seems destined to become my card for a couple recurrent payments and small, one-off online purchases.

Capital One is definitely a pain when it comes to CLIs, but there are a number of reports on this board of people who have escaped the low limits. But it requires persistence, heavy spend, and of course lots of patience.

Actually I'm tempted to simply make my son an account manager for this card. He's an AU already. I can grant him permission to view and pay them account. With the low limit, it can be a training credit card of sorts. He won't be able to get into trouble I can't buy him out of.

Message 12 of 24
Tinkiegrrl
Valued Member

It's my older set card. My first, but only by a month. Maybe down the road I'll cancel it. For now it'll sit in a sock drawer with autopay enabled and it'll handle my Hulu subscription. Or I'll grant my 16 yr old son permission to view and pay for the account. Make it a training credit card of sorts. Use it to teach him about credit. He can't get into too much trouble with a $400 limit

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Tinkiegrrl wrote:

Hello - New to the my FICO board and fairly new to credit in general. I'm here because I fear I have a bucketed Capital One card, and I was wondering what possible steps I could take to get it out of the bucket. I do have other, higher limit cards at this point, but if I travel abroad I'd want to use the Quicksilver for 1.5% cash back without a foreign transaction fee. That's difficult with a $400 limit.

Yes, Cap1 buckets cards, their denial reasons for CLI requests usually make no sense, and if your card is bucketed, you're more likely to get struck by lightning than ever get a CLI. Smiley Surprised

I have three Cap1 cards--a QS MC, a QS Visa, and a Walmart Rewards MC. The first two have been stuck at $4,000 and $4,500 CLs for *YEARS*, as in double-digit years, and the WM card has been stuck at $10,000 ever since Cap1 acquired it about two years ago. ALL requests for a CLI are immediately denied; the explanation letter that follows usually doesn't make much sense. I'm very familiar with the 'not enough spend on your existing limit' (or however they word that)--it seems to be one of their favorites! But I also get reasons that don't apply to me AT ALL; it's like they just pluck a few reasons at random and print them on the letter. Smiley Very Happy

My best advice, considering how tiny your limit is, plus my own experience, would be to forget all about this card. Either apply for a different Cap1 card (not my first choice), hoping for a higher limit, or try somewhere else. I was considering closing both of my Quicksilvers, until some very helpful posts made me reconsider. But if I had your limit? GOODBYE Cap1!!!

Message 13 of 24
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@Tinkiegrrl wrote:

Actually I'm tempted to simply make my son an account manager for this card. He's an AU already. I can grant him permission to view and pay them account. With the low limit, it can be a training credit card of sorts. He won't be able to get into trouble I can't buy him out of.

Sounds like a good idea. I'm a big fan of giving kids practical financial experience, and involving them in financial decisions. The hesitancy to talk about money is why so many people grow up to be financially illiterate. And as soon as possible, get him his own no AF card from a major bank, because he's legally not responsible for an AU card, and lenders know that.

Message 14 of 24
TXPocohontas
Regular Contributor

@Tinkiegrrl  I think the CLI is dependent on individual users.  Just like you, I pay my card off 5 days before the due date.  After 6 months of perfect payments, Cap One gave me an increase without asking for one.  I do vary in how much of my credit limit I use each month though.  I use all of my credit cards like debit cards (paying them down to $0 5 days befor their due dates and waiting until 5 days after the due date to use again so they will post the $0 on my credit reports).

Hopefully your son's use will prompt without requesting a CLI down the road.

Have a wonderful holiday season!  Smiley Happy

Starting Fico 8 Score Dec 2019: 469 TU 501 EQ 453 EX
Current Score: 819 TU 795 EQ 796 EX
Goal Score: 820 Across the board
First Premier CL $600 BAL $0, Lane Bryant CL $750 BAL $0, Credit One AMEX CL $600 BAL $0, NFCU Visa CL $11,100 BAL $0, Capital One QuickSilver CL $2000 BAL $0,Capital One Savor CL $3000 BAL $0,Discover CL $10,000 BAL $0,Ashleys Homestore CL $3500 BAL $0,
Bobs Furniture AKA Wells Fargo CL $3100 BAL $0,LATE PAYS/COLLECTIONS/BANKRUPTCIES/CHARGEOFFS/JUDGEMENTS 0
Message 15 of 24
Tinkiegrrl
Valued Member

@Anonymalous wrote:

@Tinkiegrrl wrote:

Sounds like a good idea. I'm a big fan of giving kids practical financial experience, and involving them in financial decisions. The hesitancy to talk about money is why so many people grow up to be financially illiterate. And as soon as possible, get him his own no AF card from a major bank, because he's legally not responsible for an AU card, and lenders know that.

Yeah - My parents told me nothing about credit beyond "don't get a credit card". 43 yrs later I'm building my credit now... Nnot sure my son will go for managing the account though. I shouldn't have added him to my Apple Card. He's mostly using that because he gets the cash back on his Apple Pay card when he does. I pull the money for his purchases out of his checking account unless he's ordering himself and my daughter a pizza or something and I'm not home, or unless I send him to the grocery store to buy a few things for the house. He loves using his phone to pay for everything, and the Apple Card just works so seamlessly with that. UI for it is pretty slick too. Gen Z seems to like that. Even he has sock drawered the Quicksilver lol. I could cut acces to the Apple Card though...

Message 16 of 24
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@Tinkiegrrl wrote:

@Anonymalous wrote:

@Tinkiegrrl wrote:

Yeah - My parents told me nothing about credit beyond "don't get a credit card". 43 yrs later I'm building my credit now... Nnot sure my son will go for managing the account though. I shouldn't have added him to my Apple Card. He's mostly using that because he gets the cash back on his Apple Pay card when he does. I pull the money for his purchases out of his checking account unless he's ordering himself and my daughter a pizza or something and I'm not home, or unless I send him to the grocery store to buy a few things for the house. He loves using his phone to pay for everything, and the Apple Card just works so seamlessly with that. UI for it is pretty slick too. Gen Z seems to like that. Even he has sock drawered the Quicksilver lol. I could cut acces to the Apple Card though...

I've avoided the Apply ecosystem, but doesn't the Quicksilver also work with Apple Pay?

Message 17 of 24
Tinkiegrrl
Valued Member

I've avoided the Apply ecosystem, but doesn't the Quicksilver also work with Apple Pay?

It does, but he's knows he gets at least 2% back with the Apple Card and only 1.5% with the Quicksilver. Also, he can do anything he wants with the Apple Pay Cash. Use it to pay for other things, transfer it to his checking , etc.. it's very easy to deal with

Message 18 of 24
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Your Quicksilver may be bucketed @Tinkiegrrl but I would give it more time to be sure. All low limit Capital One cards are not bucketed and all of them grow slowly when they grow.  I had a $1K SL Platinum card about 12 years ago that I sock drawered for the low limit. A few years later, I product changed to Quicksilver and eventually grew it all the way up to $25K. Here is a link to my last CLI report.  It's not personal, it's business, and your profile was young when you got it. I would give it a chance. And welcome to My Fico forums! 😁

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 19 of 24
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Tinkiegrrl wrote:

@Anonymalous wrote:

@Tinkiegrrl wrote:

How does GS Apple Card set up the authorized user? Does the AU see their own charges to pay those at the next month, or you have to sort through the charges yourself to determine what is yours, what is the AU? If he's more interested in the Apple Card, perhaps pushing him to more directly manage that one card is the easier lesson plan?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.