Did you mean: 

Buh-Bye Discover

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Buh-Bye Discover

@B335is wrote:
Ooh an anti-Discover thread! Just checking in Smiley Tongue

I don't blame you for shutting it down, besides the annoyance of not honoring the 0% offer, it's really just another 123 card. A lot of people take hard pulls for CLI and get $200 increase. It's hard for it to grow into anything meaningful unless you put a lot of spend or BT om it.

The fineprint on almost every CC application not so clearly indicates that promotions like 0% APR offers are conditioned on the applicant meeting unspecified criteria. Simply put, it's not uncommon for an applicant to get approved for a card but not for an advertised promotion. Unfortunately, most people fail to read the fineprint and blame the issuer for reneging on an offer they feel they are owed. Simply put, we have a case of hidden disclosures (norm in the industry) and hasty applicants who fail to read all the terms (norm for most applicants, including me). 

As far as the original post, not all cards work for everyone. Hopefully you have better experiences with other lenders. I like Discover as a company due to their nice customer service and the Shop Discover portal. Their card, however, is rarely in my wallet since I have cards that cover most of the rotating 5% categories. 

Message 11 of 50
Firehorse
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I don't blame you for shutting it down, besides the annoyance of not honoring the 0% offer, it's really just another 123 card. A lot of people take hard pulls for CLI and get $200 increase. It's hard for it to grow into anything meaningful unless you put a lot of spend or BT om it.

The fineprint on almost every CC application not so clearly indicates that promotions like 0% APR offers are conditioned on the applicant meeting unspecified criteria. Simply put, it's not uncommon for an applicant to get approved for a card but not for an advertised promotion. Unfortunately, most people fail to read the fineprint and blame the issuer for reneging on an offer they feel they are owed. Simply put, we have a case of hidden disclosures (norm in the industry) and hasty applicants who fail to read all the terms (norm for most applicants, including me). 

As far as the original post, not all cards work for everyone. Hopefully you have better experiences with other lenders. I like Discover as a company due to their nice customer service and the Shop Discover portal. Their card, however, is rarely in my wallet since I have cards that cover most of the rotating 5% categories. 

So you got what you expected rather than deceived with the switch and bait. Good for you.

Start MyFico: 01/04/2014: TU 572, EX 599, EQ 593, CK: 593, CKV: 596, CS: 626 Garden since 01/09/2015
Current MyFico 10/23/2015: TU 740, EX 784, EQ 739, CK/TU: 768, CK/EX: 782, CS: 785 Q: 702 1.5% UTIL & 6.9 yrs. AAoA, 1 PAID FTB Lien 8/2008

Message 12 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Firehorse wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@B335is wrote:

So you got what you expected rather than deceived with the switch and bait. Good for you.

If you are referring to me, I did get the 0% 18 month intro APR offer with my Discover IT. I never did put it to use though because a 0% APR offer has very limited use for me. I was merely pointing out to the other poster that Discover is not the only issuer to do this. 

Message 13 of 50
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear this OP but if its in the fine print its not really a bait and switch. Unfortunately we all have to slow down and read when applying

That said issuers also don't need to bury things in fine print especially pertintent things like "you may not qualify for the 0 percent"
Message 14 of 50
chalupaman
Super Contributor

I have a big love hate relationship with Discover. I hate their $500 HP CLIs but I can't deny that I've earned plenty of cashback from the card and have gotten better customer service than many of the other prime lenders out there.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 15 of 50
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

While having fine print may not technically be a bait and switch, it's deceptive. US Bank also comes to mind for sending a lower tier card (people apply for Cash+ but receive a regular Platinum).

I realize Discover has a huge following on MF, but there are a few of us that aren't quite as loyal. For me they never corrected a ShopDiscover mistake they made - regardless of how much it got escalated.
Message 16 of 50
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:
While having fine print may not technically be a bait and switch, it's deceptive. US Bank also comes to mind for sending a lower tier card (people apply for Cash+ but receive a regular Platinum).

I realize Discover has a huge following on MF, but there are a few of us that aren't quite as loyal. For me they never corrected a ShopDiscover mistake they made - regardless of how much it got escalated.

I'm one of those people that isn't so loyal to Discover. I still have many mixed feelings about them. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 17 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Buh-Bye Discoverr

I was given a $5500 limit and 0% when I applied.  I really have no idea why (not that I'm complaining).  It was my highest limit at the time by 3K, and still is (considering Freedom is a combo of 2 limits). I don't want to start a big AU discussion, but I was (am) an AU on a Discover from 1999 with a 14K CL.  It's unfortunate that I can't find a ton of use for it. 

Message 18 of 50
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

I lack Discover loyalty as well. I find that I am not fond of rotating categories in general. It can simply be too much work to take advantage of them. I'm not going to go the extra mile to figure out how to spend 1500 at gas stations. Much of the time it feels like a 1% card.  Im not sure why I hold on to my discover, especially after my hard pull cli of $500. 

Message 19 of 50
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

They gave me a great SL and the APR that was on the screen when I appl'd, when I got the card with the disclosures and stuff it all matched. I have no problems with Discover so far. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 20 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.