Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buh-Bye Discover

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Buh-Bye Discoverr

I like Discover but I can understand how this card might not work for everyone. They can be conservative/stingy with CL's and increases for a long time but I knew that from the start and expected it so not a major issue. Not really fond of rotating categories either, majority of my spend using this card is through Discover Deals. Never had a problem getting the correct cash back and they even send alert emails with the exact amounts listed as soon as the transaction posts so I pretty much love this card Smiley Very Happy Low limit and all. But if something doesnt work for you no point in keeping it around. Thats exactly why Freedom had to go

Message 21 of 50
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Exactly, everyone has different wants/needs. I got rid of the Freedom I had before, too. It just was useless to me and I never understand the hype for it outside of pairing it with a CSP.

Discover's categories can be hit or miss. This quarter is unexciting to me, but usually during the year I take advantage of the home improvement one bigtime (I'll buy a new storm door this year) and restaurants. The online shopping in Q4 is fantastic since it is literally just online shopping, vs Freedom where it is certain websites only. Discover Deals is also awesome.

They haven't been too stingy with me. I usually get SP CLI's every 6 months and/or an auto CLI. However, a lot of this is because from May 2012 - May 2013 it was basically my only credit card so it got a ton of usage. Now, I don't use it quite as much, but they still have been pretty generous.

Message 22 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

Exactly, everyone has different wants/needs. I got rid of the Freedom I had before, too. It just was useless to me and I never understand the hype for it outside of pairing it with a CSP.

Discover's categories can be hit or miss. This quarter is unexciting to me, but usually during the year I take advantage of the home improvement one bigtime (I'll buy a new storm door this year) and restaurants. The online shopping in Q4 is fantastic since it is literally just online shopping, vs Freedom where it is certain websites only. Discover Deals is also awesome.

They haven't been too stingy with me. I usually get SP CLI's every 6 months and/or an auto CLI. However, a lot of this is because from May 2012 - May 2013 it was basically my only credit card so it got a ton of usage. Now, I don't use it quite as much, but they still have been pretty generous.

Freedom is nice with the CSP only if you value UR points highly. I'd rather have 5x UR points to a 5% (or even 9%) cash back card. Thus, when I buy something in the Freedom's 5% category, I use it to earn UR points. Having the CSP allows me to transfer UR points out of Chase (i.e. not stuck with cash redemptions as I would be with just Freedom). The combo is useful for boosting UR point earnings, but it is not so useful if UR points are less important for you or if rotating categories are too much for you to deal with.

Message 23 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Freedom is nice with the CSP only if you value UR points highly. I'd rather have 5x UR points to a 5% (or even 9%) cash back card. Thus, when I buy something in the Freedom's 5% category, I use it to earn UR points. Having the CSP allows me to transfer UR points out of Chase (i.e. not stuck with cash redemptions as I would be with just Freedom). The combo is useful for boosting UR point earnings, but it is not so useful if UR points are less important for you or if rotating categories are too much for you to deal with.

Exactly applicable for me.  I need a CSP to make the best use of my UR points.  The $200 bonus statement credit was decent for my Freedom, but seriously, I need to get a CSP to transfer out.

Message 24 of 50
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Buh-Bye Discover

@B335is wrote:
While having fine print may not technically be a bait and switch, it's deceptive. US Bank also comes to mind for sending a lower tier card (people apply for Cash+ but receive a regular Platinum).

I realize Discover has a huge following on MF, but there are a few of us that aren't quite as loyal. For me they never corrected a ShopDiscover mistake they made - regardless of how much it got escalated.

Discover may soon be at the top of my list of CCC i am annoyed with soon, they don't want to give me credit for buying my note 4 thru shopdiscover, they said i didn't go thru portal. The whole thing with amex and discover has taught me screenshot everything. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 25 of 50
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Mongstradamus,

They told me a similar thing about a $15 credit I should have received. I now use Ebates exclusively and they have been great. One slip up and it was corrected in a few days.
Message 26 of 50
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:
Mongstradamus,

They told me a similar thing about a $15 credit I should have received. I now use Ebates exclusively and they have been great. One slip up and it was corrected in a few days.

I am probably going to give them an call today, and if i am not too annoyed maybe i will call amex again today and see if their "investigation" is done yet. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 27 of 50
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

@Firehorse wrote:

Never used the card since October. They did the offer switcheroo on me when I applied so I didn't get the 18 month 0% APR promo.

I called tonight, even though my credit profile is great for other companies, Discover just wouldn't budge. So I shut er down. Buh-bye.

That is all.

Firehorse, what CL did you have on this card?

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my IT card, even though it's the lowest limit card I have and considering that I don't use it that much.

Message 28 of 50
Peter1142
Established Contributor

I love my Discover IT card. They gave me a generous limit way more than the other cards I had, with their lowest APR. I just asked for a CLI after about 9 months with the card and they gave me what I wanted sure no problem. I put thousands a month through the card though. But I also carry a balance, I had a lot of unexpected repairs and costs in the home I bought, and I am very happy I had this card. I will probably transfer that balance to a Slate when the intro APR runs out.

Message 29 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Firehorse wrote:

Never used the card since October. They did the offer switcheroo on me when I applied so I didn't get the 18 month 0% APR promo.

I called tonight, even though my credit profile is great for other companies, Discover just wouldn't budge. So I shut er down. Buh-bye.

That is all.

Had my Discover card since college freshman year, 500 limit

-> sophomore year, CL = 500; my lowest limit among other cards that time was 5000.

-> junior year, still CL = 500; lowest limit \ Discover = 11000 (it's 11_00, forgot that exact number).

-> graduation, CL = 500; lowest limit \ Discover = 17500

-> after 1st year of grad school, CL = 500 still ...; lowest limit \ Discover = 17500

Srs discover? Though YMMV

Message 30 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.