cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business cards when you don't have a business.

tag
nickn86
Contributor

Business cards when you don't have a business.

Can somone explain just how business cards wor?.  I've read some scuttlebutt online before that you don't really need a business to get approved for business cards, and you can even apply for a business card if you're just "thinking" about starting a business and want to keep finances separate.  I've also heard you can just list your name on the app as a sole proprietorship. 

How true is this? I ask because the Freedom/Sapphire/Ink combination seems really appealing as the next cards to get down the road, and the Ink seems like a ingredient in it, but I have no business and really little intention of starting one in the near-future.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Barris
Established Member

Re: Business cards when you don't have a business.

Well, there are a couple of ways to look at this. Technically, you do need to have a business to qualify for a business card. In my case, the AA card that I have required me to fill up a form where I had to list my EIN number and all other sorts of documents to prove that I had a business. Now the things is that different card issuers have varying approval models and most are pretty lenient when it comes down to applicants without proper EINs and documentations. You could just set up an EBay account and list your business as a DBA and in place of the EIN, just put in your SSN. Now the thing is that there is going to be a hard inquiry and on the overall, business cards enjoy less purchase and insurance protection.
Message 2 of 4
KS13
Established Member

I also am thinking about applying for the Chase  Ink card and to my knowledge you don't need to have a business. A buddy of mine was able to get one and listed himself as an entrepreneur on the application. Was approved for the Ink Cash card with 10,000 CL. 

Message 3 of 4
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Technically you do have to have a business, I'm sure it's in the app and the cardmember agreement. It can be as small as selling stuff on eBay or garage sales. Better be able to document and show sales in some cases. EIN helpful. Chase should be asking questions when approving the card, in my case I have a business banking relationship so none were needed. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.