Buying 50+ Houses in a Year with Credit Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Buying 50+ Houses in a Year with Credit Cards

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/949-Park-Ave-Beloit-WI-53511/40548158_zpid/

So you bought it in 2017 and sold it in 2019? Or bought it in 2019?

This was the house that almost ruined me. I bought it in  2017. It caught fire one week after I closed. Decided to  rehab it to and get full insurance payout instead of just taking partial insurance payout money and walking away. Had bought several poor deals for purposes of keeping my W-2 crew busy. Crew fell apart, was overleveraged with not enough reserves. Money ran out, and I had to rehab remaining rehabs by myself throughout 2018 to just break even and get back to where I was, this one included. 

This is a flip that I am closing on with Buyer this Friday:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1248-Bluff-St-Beloit-WI-53511/40542139_zpid/

The rental I used as an example in my initial post is on this same block.

Message 61 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The kicker is that the rewards received have to exceed the merchant fee. That is very easy to do with CCC's who are in the industry solely to lose as much money as possible. 

Agreed, i think if someone is wanting in on the "points" game, they should be looking at regular spend at wholesalers and other places. Not having to go through services or on large amounts where the fee will be passed onto the cardholder.

OP that is nice looking house. May I ask how much hands on you are in the rehabs? I;ve had thoughts on doing the same thing, but cannot decorate to save my life. I also no longer have the time to commit to such endeavors, so i would need to hire contactors which would eat into profit margins. 

Message 62 of 77
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Here is what you do.

You have a proven, replicated business model with demonstrated success.

Do not focus your energies on Credit Cards. You focus your energies on securing better financing and cheaper labor. Securing deals for longer term business with local contractors will lower your costs of rehab.  After this, you display your ability to flip faster at higher margins. Take this proof to finianciers, get better rates and access to new capital. Rinse and repeat. Add a technology component, and you are now a Unicorn!

PS: Never get divorced!

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 63 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The kicker is that the rewards received have to exceed the merchant fee. That is very easy to do with CCC's who are in the industry solely to lose as much money as possible. 

Agreed, i think if someone is wanting in on the "points" game, they should be looking at regular spend at wholesalers and other places. Not having to go through services or on large amounts where the fee will be passed onto the cardholder.

OP that is nice looking house. May I ask how much hands on you are in the rehabs? I;ve had thoughts on doing the same thing, but cannot decorate to save my life. I also no longer have the time to commit to such endeavors, so i would need to hire contactors which would eat into profit margins. 

That house I did pretty much everything myself on with the help of one assistant, except for mechanicals. Took us a long time. This was the house that almost ruined me. I bought it in 2017. It caught fire one week after I closed. Decided to rehab it to and get full insurance payout instead of just taking partial insurance payout money and walking away. Worst decision I ever made, but glad I did as it taught me some incredibly hard lessons that I'm glad I learned early on.

Fire wasn't too bad, but when fire dept put it ut, water got behind walls and fried old knob and tube electrical. Had to open walls up to replace, at which point the whole entire house is no longer grandfathered in and everything has to be brought up to code. City made me bring literally everything up to code, from foundation, to framing, to electrical, to plumbing, to HVAC, to reframing roof damaged from fire, to new garage slab, new garage, new sheathing, new insulation, new siding, etc, etc. It was a nightmare. Literally demoed 100 year old house and re-built it from ground up. Could have done a whole season of this Old House. But it was also the first truly gut rehab I'd done and also the last. While I'd done a few dozen rehabs before this, they were all cosmetic to advanced cosmetic. Learned so much on this house.

If someone can tell me how to upload photos here, I can upload pictures of house from right after fire.

I do all design work on my houses. Isn't too difficult. Just find what is working for other people, whether that be in your area or google and copy them. Diane Hendricks in a billionaire from my area. She flipped two houses two blocks down from this one using one of her construction companies. I simply copied aspects of her design in this flip. Look at what houses are selling in your desired price range in your area. Simply copy those designs and color schemes. For construction, design, and real estate, I've literally learned everything from a local mentor, Google, or YouTube.

Contractors are key. A good one is worth their weight in gold and about as rare too. Another reason why I rehabbed houses by myself as long as I did. But I slowly built up network of excellent GC and subs. And great contractors tend to work with other great contractors. It was all referals from there and now I simply act as project manager and design role for rehabs, also helping with logistics. 

Message 64 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

You buy 50+ houses a year and can’t figure out how to get some credit card points?....OK
Message 65 of 77
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

You should really be pitching this to a production company that works with HGTV or similar.  The entire transaction is charged to a credit card (purchase, subs, fees, materials) and at the end of the show we get to see the rewards you earned: 

"Credit Card Flipper"

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 66 of 77
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You buy 50+ houses a year and can’t figure out how to get some credit card points?....OK

Or how to find the answer about how to display photos.  It's just weird, mostly.

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 67 of 77
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Just because OPs niche is buying and rehabbing houses doesn’t mean he can’t seek answers from the experts about credit card points and/or how to display photos.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 68 of 77
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Some cards good for making estimated tax payments:

Amex Blue Business Plus (up to $50k per calendar year)

Chase Freedom Unlimited + Ink Unlimited

BofA Premium Rewards, Travel Rewards, and I believe there is some business equivalent

BofA Virgin Atlantic

Chase United Club

Amex Business Platinum (if it still gives 1.5x on transactions over $5k)

Amex EveryDay Preferred

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 69 of 77
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@BallBounces wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Or how to find the answer about how to display photos.  It's just weird, mostly.

How is that weird, exactly?  That's a perfectly legitimate question from new forum members who may not be familiar on how that gets enabled.   Perhaps providing a helpful answer is more in order and a benefit for any participating member.

@Anonymous- apologies if it wasn't answered above already, but you won't be able to add images to your signature or to a post until you reach the rank of 'Member'.  An easy way to tell you've reached this rank is the 'New' icon that is next to your member name will be removed.

That said, any images that may not be particularly related to credit cards would be more suitable in the SmorgasBoard section of the forums.

Message 70 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.