Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying Disneyland ticket with points

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Buying Disneyland ticket with points

@Caught750 wrote:
Mongstramas, Disney World doesn’t code as travel. Unless Disney Land codes differently it would need to be through an OTA. DOC or TPG just did a write up on this.

Well thats unfortunate so I guess FU will be my best optionn 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 11 of 27
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

"Honk" if you remember E tickets

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 12 of 27
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

That's an intiguing idea about booking the tickets with an OTA or somewhere that codes as Travel, and then just buying the tickets with a statement-credit trade-in from points. So I'd at least get some points back, if nothing else. That sounds like it's probably the best way to go, even if $10-$15 worth of points back isn't nearly as great as if I could buy the tickets on points worth 1.25 cents each in the chase portal. But it seems that Chase doesn't want anybody doing that right now, for whatever reason. As far as I know, it's one of the only Expedia tickets you can't buy in the portal. I'm guessing Disney told Chase to pull the plug on allowing UR redemptions for Disney tickets, because otherwise nobody would ever sign up for the terrible Chase Disney card.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 13 of 27
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

There was a way using AA miles but I have no idea if that is still available or not.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 14 of 27
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

I wanted to post an update, for the method I've come up with for the cheapest possible 2-day Disneyland trip for 2 people, using only Ultimate Rewards points. I decided that doing 1-day parkhopper tickets would be silly, because for only $40 more per person, you can get 2-day 1-park-per-day tickets. So that's kind of a no-brainer I think.

Anyways, here's my list (your mileage may vary, I live in Northern CA so my airfare may be cheaper than others):

2-day, 1-park-per-day Tickets, for 2 adults:

Costs $427.90 at UndercoverTourist, plus $60 for MaxPass ($15/day/person).

That will cost 48,790 UR points to recoup that cost as a statement credit, but booking the ticket on CFU (in the first year) or CSR will earn 1464 UR points, making the net cost 47,326 points.

Round trip airfare for 2 to Orange County:

Costs 18,766 Southwest Points, which is a 1:1 transfer partner with UR points. Plus $22.40 in fees (2,240 UR points to recoup those fees as a statement credit), and get 66 UR points after paying the fee on CFU or CSR, making the net cost 20,940 points.

Uber rides between airport, park, and hotel:

$50 (5,000 UR points to recoup that cost as a statement credit), and earns 150 UR points, making the net cost 4,850 UR points.

2 nights at hotel near Disneyland:

10,500 UR points, booked through Chase travel portal.

Grand total for 2 adults, 2 days and 2 nights with travel: 83,616 UR points.

This all assumes, of course, that you don't already have any Southwest points or hotel loyalty rewards. It also doesn't include food & souvenirs, the cost of which will vary greatly from person to person. Last time I went to Disneyland, I was perfectly happy just eating at the food stands and not shopping. After all, you're paying A TON of money to be inside the park, why waste that time eating and shopping? You can do those things at home Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Caught750 wrote:
Mongstramas, Disney World doesn’t code as travel. Unless Disney Land codes differently it would need to be through an OTA. DOC or TPG just did a write up on this.

Not sure how relevant this is, but just throwing it out there that recently when I booked some Disney plans on my Citi DC it was categorized as 'Lodging'.

Message 16 of 27
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

Does anyone know if there is ANY way to buy disneyland park tickets using points at a better than 1.0c/point value?

I've been digging around for hours, and turning up nothing. It looks like Chase used to have disneyland tickets on their travel portal, but they don't anymore. There were some articles suggesting that CSR cardholders could still use the portal for disney tickets, but in the comments people are saying that wasn't true.

Currently the only way I'm seeing to do this is to trade points for a statement credit (at 1:1) and then just buy the tickets with actual money. But a pair of one-day parkhopper tickets would cost 43,500 points. Expensive! Wish there was a way to use fewer points.

You can buy them for points on the Citibank portal but it's at 1 cent point value.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 17 of 27
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

You seem to have been able to get solid value out of your UR for the most part, but doesn’t it sting a bit knowing the UR you used for the tickets could’ve been used for something that cost more?

[2/2019]
Message 18 of 27
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@jdbkiang wrote:
You seem to have been able to get solid value out of your UR for the most part, but doesn’t it sting a bit knowing the UR you used for the tickets could’ve been used for something that cost more?

Fair point! It also stings to pay cash out of pocket for those tickets, so I guess I just have to decide which one stings less.

Message 19 of 27
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

Haha, very true also. I often just figure I’ll be able to save more cash down the road by using the points for higher value options.

[2/2019]
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.