Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying Disneyland ticket with points

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Buying Disneyland ticket with points

@jdbkiang wrote:
You seem to have been able to get solid value out of your UR for the most part, but doesn’t it sting a bit knowing the UR you used for the tickets could’ve been used for something that cost more?

There will always be a potentially better redemption out there (at least with flexible points). To me it's important to use the points for something that you actually want to do anyway, instead of chasing after high value redemptions that may or may not be what you actually want to do in the first place.

Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, the no annual fee Disney card just for exclusive character meet and greets is kinda worth it for kids if you are at that stage in your life.

But as a rewards credit card, it is not great.
Message 22 of 27
rbentley
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Honestly, the no annual fee Disney card just for exclusive character meet and greets is kinda worth it for kids if you are at that stage in your life.

But as a rewards credit card, it is not great.

The Disney card is a terrible card to use at Disneyland, other than for what you just suggested.  Just like the Costco and Sams cards are terrbile cards to use at those stores.  The best reason for the disney card IMHO is the card designs available.

Message 23 of 27
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@jdbkiang wrote:
You seem to have been able to get solid value out of your UR for the most part, but doesn’t it sting a bit knowing the UR you used for the tickets could’ve been used for something that cost more?

There will always be a potentially better redemption out there (at least with flexible points). To me it's important to use the points for something that you actually want to do anyway, instead of chasing after high value redemptions that may or may not be what you actually want to do in the first place.

That's pretty much how I'm feeling about it, too, though it could be argued that there are plenty of other things I'm planning to do in the future besides Disneyland, that I could potentially be using the points at a higher value for.

But on the other hand, I'll be racking up points pretty rapidly. In just the 31 days that I've had my Chase cards I've already charged $5,000 to them, most of those dollars at 2x and 3x point rates. If I keep up that rate of spend, which I plan to, I'll be racking up about 150,000 points annually just on my chase cards (in addition to the roughly 200,000 United miles I typically earn annually), so for the foreseeable future I'll have no shortage of points and miles to spend on vacations Smiley Very Happy I'm lucky to have a job that has me doing VERY expensive travel frequently, that I can charge to my personal cards!

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 24 of 27
2GreenThumbs
Frequent Contributor

@Meanmchine wrote:

"Honk" if you remember E tickets

Honk!

Message 25 of 27
iced
Valued Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

Does anyone know if there is ANY way to buy disneyland park tickets using points at a better than 1.0c/point value?

I've been digging around for hours, and turning up nothing. It looks like Chase used to have disneyland tickets on their travel portal, but they don't anymore. There were some articles suggesting that CSR cardholders could still use the portal for disney tickets, but in the comments people are saying that wasn't true.

Currently the only way I'm seeing to do this is to trade points for a statement credit (at 1:1) and then just buy the tickets with actual money. But a pair of one-day parkhopper tickets would cost 43,500 points. Expensive! Wish there was a way to use fewer points.

At one cent per point, I wouldn't bother. Even at 1.5 cents, it's not a good deal when you consider what you can do with transfer partners. Just pay the $435 and keep the UR.

Message 26 of 27
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@jdbkiang wrote:

That's definitely always true, but there's gotta be a baseline as long as paying cash is still an option. The thing is that with a CSP the minimum portal value is 1.25 CPP, and going out of your way to pay less than that just seems like a bit of a waste. 

[2/2019]
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.