Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a house with credit cards

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Buying a house with credit cards

4 digit price?

What sort of income do you have? Family loan, or heck if I could make the payments and just needed it short term, I'd consider doing a Cashcall 10K loan or similar. When you said dirt cheap... Ah well.

Think you have options at that price range.

        
Message 21 of 41
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@fltn wrote:

My husband and I are doing the same thing.

We used our LOC/Navchek and we also used our paypal smart connect accounts. Just sent each other payments and transfered to our accounts.

We know the interest is high but it is worth it to us.

We got a 2000 sqft poured block house 3b 2b for for $6000.

We took extra cash to fix the dry wall, windows, plumbing, and new doors, and locks.

The Hvac was gone so we just bought us some window units for now.

We made it livable so now we will either rent it out or move into it.

Either way we can pay back quick and will be so much cheaper that a mortage that ends up costing 3x's as much as the original price of the house.

Good luck to you!

@fltn, I saw you post about that someplace else on the forums and thought that was inspiring. I've seen houses go that low, but only at auction in depressed areas. Good deal, and it sounds like smart financing. The banks and credit union had no problem with you transfering money around like that?

Message 22 of 41
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:
4 digit price?

What sort of income do you have? Family loan, or heck if I could make the payments and just needed it short term, I'd consider doing a Cashcall 10K loan or similar. When you said dirt cheap... Ah well.

Think you have options at that price range.

@Revelate, yes it's in the four digits. I can scrape up about half in cash and can possibly borrow from family though I'd rather not. Credit cards are just one option I'm  looking at. My income is low. I'm not comfortable stating it here, if you don't mind. It's just low and I've gotten a lot of recent credit. The utilization on my cards is around 5% so I have room to spare. I don't know anything about Cashcall and will check that out. Thank you.

Message 23 of 41
fltn
Frequent Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@fltn wrote:

My husband and I are doing the same thing.

We used our LOC/Navchek and we also used our paypal smart connect accounts. Just sent each other payments and transfered to our accounts.

We know the interest is high but it is worth it to us.

We got a 2000 sqft poured block house 3b 2b for for $6000.

We took extra cash to fix the dry wall, windows, plumbing, and new doors, and locks.

The Hvac was gone so we just bought us some window units for now.

We made it livable so now we will either rent it out or move into it.

Either way we can pay back quick and will be so much cheaper that a mortage that ends up costing 3x's as much as the original price of the house.

Good luck to you!

@fltn, I saw you post about that someplace else on the forums and thought that was inspiring. I've seen houses go that low, but only at auction in depressed areas. Good deal, and it sounds like smart financing. The banks and credit union had no problem with you transfering money around like that?

I wrote a check to my mom and she cashed it for me after the hold was released.

My husband wrote a check to his mom and did the same.

We both have $15K Nav/Check and each wrote $5000 to not max out our accts.

Then we both send a payment to each other through paypal for $4000 each from our smart connect accts, after paypals fees, we each sent $3500 to our bank accounts.

From there we each withdrew $3000 each, and transfered the $500 to our checking accts at NFCU so it would be there for the first payments.

Of what was left after the fees in Paypal we left what was left of the other $500 in our paypal accts to cover 2 or 3 months worth of pp payments.

So only for a few months we make smaller above min payments. Once we decide to move it or rent out the house we will take that money (from renters or what we save by not paying rent) to pay off really fast.

There has been no calls from NFCU about this, we have even got CLI on our CC's with them. They are making money from it, so I assume they are happy.

Paypal doesn't seem to care, and we each got CLI's this month.

So we will continue to use this method, but next time we will be buying $15000 to $25000 houses.

We live in TN, but are doing this in FL, not through auctions. Just looking for cheap houses that people want out of since they lost their jobs at NASA, many friends and family included.

We are from that area and there are a lot of people that have paid off their houses but have to sell and move for jobs else where. The values are super low there still, and people working PT need a cheap rental. They are good solid houses built in the 50's and 60's, and being in FL, they hold up better with the hurrican codes.

This started out as a hobby of mine. I started buying houses in ND after the tax sales were over and what was left. I picked up 5 houses at $1500- $3500 each, did nothing to them. I just flipped them for cheap, $5K-$10K each.

Currently "freezing" in the garden!
Message 24 of 41
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I'd just try to get a BT check with a 0% offer...
I know many banks, Citi/Discover, etc... Have options that allow you to access your credit with checks/checking acct xfers that use the purchase/promo rates
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 25 of 41
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I'd just try to get a BT check with a 0% offer...
I know many banks, Citi/Discover, etc... Have options that allow you to access your credit with checks/checking acct xfers that use the purchase/promo rates

Thanks, youngandcreditwrthy. I've just checked with my two highest limit cards to see if I can do exactly that. I've never gotten BT checks from either of them, but they do both have them available. The one might not offer 0%, but even that might be okay for a while.

I won't make a move until I know whether my offer's been accepted by the bank that owns the house. But either BT checks or a loan from a friend or family member will probably be the way to go.

Message 26 of 41
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@fltn, that's amazing. Thanks for sharing the details. Would you mind if needed to PM you for further info? I might if the bank says yes.

Message 27 of 41
fltn
Frequent Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@fltn, that's amazing. Thanks for sharing the details. Would you mind if needed to PM you for further info? I might if the bank says yes.

Yeah no problem. Though I have been doing this all on my own, I am no pro. Just 4 years of reading online, articles, anything I can get my hands on.

Do you plan to live in the house, rent or flip?

Just curious. Anyway you go it all works out to be a great deal.

I was looking for a mortage/rent free life when I started. Building my credit back up after my BK7 in 2009 has opened some doors.

Plus not being afraid of a little fixing up helps to. Nothing comes easy but if I can make it easier without a 30 year mortage and no rent payments, I'll be happy with my simple little life.

Message 28 of 41
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@fltn, I'll probably move into it and either rent or sell the house I'm in now. No flipping. Where I am there's still no market for that, though I suppose if I fixed it up well enough quick enough I could do it.

I was mortgage free for about 10 years and want to return to that life. Yeah, hooray for keeping things simple and low cost.

Message 29 of 41
fltn
Frequent Contributor

Yeah I am ready to have rental property. I am gonna be the nicest landlord.

No reporting for breaking lease. Got 3 dogs and 2 cats. Ok no problem.

House in this area goes for $1000 plus first last and deposit and $500 pet fee, lol.

I will do $750 a month, $500 deposit, and $100 per pet. I had landlords like that, no many, but when I did, I lived at those places longer.

Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.