Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a house with credit cards

tag
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Buying a house with credit cards

I may have the opportunity to buy a dirt cheap fixer house. I mean DIRT cheap, foreclosed, abandoned, but no possibility of a mortgage.

My question is I'm considering buying this mostly on credit cards and I want to know HOW you do that.

I know the possible drawbacks of fixer houses and using credit cards for house buying, so I don't need warnings about hidden costs, high interest rates, or running up my utilization.  I've already warned myself about all that. Smiley Surprised What maybe some experienced people can tell me is HOW you use a credit card to buy a house.

The real estate agent tells me you can only do it by taking cash advances on the cards and I know that can create problems, but I'm wondering if there's any way to treat it like a regular purchse. Or if it does have to be cash, is there any way to tell the cccs in advance what I'm doing so they don't think I'm just being crazy suddenly taking thousands in cash advances.

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Buying a house with credit cards

Interesting idea. Normally I would say that if the real estate agent codes the transaction as cash advance there would be no way around it. But I honestly don't have any experience with this type of transaction, so I'm just going to sit tight and listen. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 41
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

Do you have a relationship with a bank maybe a personal loan. Just a thought.
Cards: CSP $5k, Capital One Cash Rewards VS $3100, Discover it $3k Capital One MasterCard $600, Orchard Bank $3k, Barclays Rewards MC $1250 Gapcard $900, BR $300, Neiman Marcus $1k, Macys $1200 Walmart $500
In the garden until I can get a BCP

Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 682 EQ SW 660 TU 636 EX 3/26/13
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 41
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Its probably easier to buy a house on a personal Line of Credit than it is to buy a house on a credit card. Many Credit Unions offer the Personal LOC.

I opened up one with Navy Fed in Sept, to pay my contractor for a large remodel project and avoid swipe fees.

You can use wepay.com or similar services to purchase the house.. .but you'll get into having swipe fees.

A LOC is a revolving account, so as soon as it is paid off, then the funds will be available to use again, unlike a personal loan.

Wells Fargo, US Bank, and many other places offer these.  You can even secure the Line with personal assets.

Eventually I want to have a secured LOC for my business so that I'm not putting these things on my personal LOC.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 41
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the response, HiLine. The real estate agent wouldn't be coding the transaction at all. Payment would be made to a title company and to the best of my understanding, title companies don't take credit cards at all. The bank that holds the property will choose the title company, so I can't even ask about it with local title companies I've used before.

I'm wondering whether a company like williampaid might be able to handle it, but I'm hoping somebody who has bought a house or land on credit cards will know for sure.

Message 5 of 41
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

You can also do a "Balance Transfer" and list your checking account # as the account to be transferred to, and then the cash will go to your bank account. BT fees will apply

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 41
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Thank you, sarkell and webhopper. I do have a small account at a local bank, but my income is low and I don't know that any banker or credit union officer would extend me either a personal loan or an LOC even though I have good credit. I do have other people I could possibly borrow from, but it would mean asking favors or asking them to invest in a friend, something I'm reluctant to do.

Credit cards aren't the ideal choice, I know, but they do seem to be a no hassle possibility, which is why I'm looking into this method.

Message 7 of 41
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

You can also do a "Balance Transfer" and list your checking account # as the account to be transferred to, and then the cash will go to your bank account. BT fees will apply

Really good thought, there! I remember somebody talking about that on the forums not long ago. I should look into that, definitely!

Message 8 of 41
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

Back in the 1980s, there were some late-night infomercials explaining how this could be done. 

The basic idea was to approach the seller and ask them what they would consider accepting instead of cash.

If they wanted furniture, appliances, tools, etc., for their new house, you could purchase the stuff with credit and offer it in exchange for an interest in the property.  If you had the credit to finance a boat, car, camper, or something else the seller wanted, you might be able do do some wheeling & dealing to make the deal work.

I don't know if anyone was ever successful at pulling it off (besides the paid shills on the infomercials), and I don't see such schemes being peddled anymore.

It sounds like a super-risky venture. 

Besides having to service all that high-interest debt, any house that is super-cheap, probably needs major work, and is likely in a depressed area, which means it will also be very hard to sell in a short enough time to make it worth the destruction of your credit.

Message 9 of 41
Cali_Credit
Frequent Contributor

DCU offers the same rate for purchases, balance transfers ect, just have to login online and transfer with one click from any credit cards or lines of credit. Just fYI this sounds risky paying with multiple credit cards and the creditors may soft pull and lower limits and close out your cards.
Current Fico's: TU 797 / EQ 785 / EX 775
Wallet: US Bank Business Edge $16,000 I Chase Ink $18,500 | US Bank Cash + Visa Sig $15,000 | Amex PRG NSL | Barclay Arrival+ WMC $10,000 l Amex BCP $20,000 | PenFed Visa Sig $9,000 | DCU Plat. $10,000 | Logix $10,000 | Discover $18,900 | WalMart $10,000 | Paypal MC $15,000 | Barclay NFL $3,400 | Cap 1 Quicksilver WMC $34,500 | J C Penny $5000 | Target $2000 13 Personal & 2 Business CreditCards
Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.